attendance at games | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

attendance at games

I travel every year from Pennsylvania for a Fins home game. The local florida fans are horrible. That does not mean all of you, but the fanbase in South Florida is not even close to the crazy Cleveland, Pittsburgh and Buffalo fans. I have my non Miami fans over to watch a Fins game on Direct TV and when they show the stands at kickoff I always catch hell from those guys. It is pretty embarrassing. Stay out of South Beach and attend a game once in awhile!

the stadium flat out sucks, it's uncomfortable, outdated--plain and simple. Plus, have you been to a game at 1pm in September? Yeah **** that.

If these prices are true, I would have season tickets. When the Dolphins come to town to play the Redskins, nosebleed seats are about $100 each and parking is about $40. Hell, I wanted to get tickets for my girlfriend's birthday (she's a Skins fan) and everything was $300. Not faulting you for not affording it as a college student....just saying I wish I lived in Miami.

The average salary in the DC area is probably about 20k higher. It puts everything in perspective. If you live down here you probably have a much lower salary in your profession.

On another note: why is it that out of towners always bitch and complain about our attendance down here. Our attendance vows started in the 2000's with a gradual demise of the product on the field. The 80s and 90s were quite well attended and though a thread of blackouts was sometimes reality we were talking about 3 or 4k tickets which usually were sold before the blackout deadline.

If the product gets better attendance will rise.

The problem that no'one ever acknowledges is the disadvantage the current team is in store for..

Go watch the fourth quarter of the Seattle game, look at the players, look at their energy, look at the stands, listen to the crowd as they stand in unison, (in the fourth quarter of the fourth preseason game), watch the third teamers jumping around like kids, then turn on our game in the fourth quarter the past two weeks, if you don't think these players have a more difficult task, if you don't think there is a tangible disadvantage when it comes to our players not getting energy from their fans and crowd inside their own park, if you don't think a crowds energy can affect the energy for which a player and team plays with... you...don't...get it..

i agree with most of what is being said on here... this coming year will only be my 2nd as season ticket holder, and i will add that i do not regret the decision one bit. i commute from Pompano Beach/Coconut Creek/Deerfield area, so the stadium is literally 20 min away by jumping on the turnpike. if it were a 2 or 3 hr drive as some of you have it (I grew up on long island and every so often my father would travel to East Rutherford to watch the Phins take on the Jets/Giants... 3 hr trip!!!) i'd think twice before making any type of commitment on game days. As for the stadium being outdated, i wish i knew the truth for everyone who makes that complaint, just how many NFL stadiums have you been to? And once they start complaining about the seats, give me a break. Now I may be in the minority in thinking this, but when i go to watch the dolphins play, im there to watch the game. Not taste test the food-and complain about it being too expensive (we all know that walking into the stadium) or bitch about the seats not reclining/no padding/whatever it is you argue about... Bring a seat cushion if it bothers you so much. The stadium is too hot? Yeah, no problem. We'll convince the city of Miami to raise enough tax revenue and the Team to fork over 400M for a new roof. They already tried that, and it failed. I don't mean to ruffle any feathers here. but if you want to spend your Sundays in a/c watching the game from the comfort of your own home, go right ahead (and be part of the problem) i just don't want to hear from "locals" how the team sucks by not accommodating to fans who have very little if any interest to showing up to games in the first place.
For me, it was a couple years ago that the light finally went off. I was on the phone talking with my brother (who lives in Louisville, KY now) and he reminded me of how when we were kids, it was a dream of ours to not only live in the area and see the Dolphins influence on the community, but also to live close enough to the stadium to be season ticket holders. Remembering how i felt back then, when I was lucky to watch the Dolphins only a few times a year on tv (2 v NYJ, usually 1 MNF-with Marino, and sometimes a scrambled signal gave us the Patriots game on this little TV with antenna) made this decision quite easy.
On a side note, i have a friend up in NY who is a huge Jets fan... he bought in to the PSL crap and now has to make that 3 hr commute to every stinking jets game, week in week out. That my friends is a hell of a commute to watch a sorry-ass team.
Now, for those of us who actually pay to see our Dolphins play, this past weekend at the stadium i was told about a mass-transit way to the stadium on game days via Tri-Rail. Im definitely going to check it out: http://www.miamidolphins.com/finatics/trirail.html Nice way to bypass the $25 parking charge and at $5 per ride its most likely less that you'd spend in gas at 3.50 per gallon. Plus, no chance for DWI on the ride home :)

the stadium flat out sucks, it's uncomfortable, outdated--plain and simple. Plus, have you been to a game at 1pm in September? Yeah **** that.

Ugh. It is ****ing BRUTAL. I'll be in that dump this Saturday afternoon at 12:00PM. Hot as **** and surrounded by probably 30,000 Gator fans who REFUSE to take showers.

Plus, I'll be on the field for this one so it's going to be intensely hot.

weak responses. just admit u guys would rather complain about the team than actually do something. You think money impacts the other 31 teams fans? of course it does. i'm not
saying go to every single game but at least go to a few to those of u "fans." dumb excuses to those who live in Miami, if you're a fan, go to the games because u love the team. don't skip games and say it's because of the "bad stadium."

i agree with most of what is being said on here... this coming year will only be my 2nd as season ticket holder, and i will add that i do not regret the decision one bit. i commute from Pompano Beach/Coconut Creek/Deerfield area, so the stadium is literally 20 min away by jumping on the turnpike. if it were a 2 or 3 hr drive as some of you have it (I grew up on long island and every so often my father would travel to East Rutherford to watch the Phins take on the Jets/Giants... 3 hr trip!!!) i'd think twice before making any type of commitment on game days. As for the stadium being outdated, i wish i knew the truth for everyone who makes that complaint, just how many NFL stadiums have you been to? And once they start complaining about the seats, give me a break. Now I may be in the minority in thinking this, but when i go to watch the dolphins play, im there to watch the game. Not taste test the food-and complain about it being too expensive (we all know that walking into the stadium) or bitch about the seats not reclining/no padding/whatever it is you argue about... Bring a seat cushion if it bothers you so much. The stadium is too hot? Yeah, no problem. We'll convince the city of Miami to raise enough tax revenue and the Team to fork over 400M for a new roof. They already tried that, and it failed. I don't mean to ruffle any feathers here. but if you want to spend your Sundays in a/c watching the game from the comfort of your own home, go right ahead (and be part of the problem) i just don't want to hear from "locals" how the team sucks by not accommodating to fans who have very little if any interest to showing up to games in the first place.
For me, it was a couple years ago that the light finally went off. I was on the phone talking with my brother (who lives in Louisville, KY now) and he reminded me of how when we were kids, it was a dream of ours to not only live in the area and see the Dolphins influence on the community, but also to live close enough to the stadium to be season ticket holders. Remembering how i felt back then, when I was lucky to watch the Dolphins only a few times a year on tv (2 v NYJ, usually 1 MNF-with Marino, and sometimes a scrambled signal gave us the Patriots game on this little TV with antenna) made this decision quite easy.
On a side note, i have a friend up in NY who is a huge Jets fan... he bought in to the PSL crap and now has to make that 3 hr commute to every stinking jets game, week in week out. That my friends is a hell of a commute to watch a sorry-ass team.
Now, for those of us who actually pay to see our Dolphins play, this past weekend at the stadium i was told about a mass-transit way to the stadium on game days via Tri-Rail. Im definitely going to check it out: http://www.miamidolphins.com/finatics/trirail.html Nice way to bypass the $25 parking charge and at $5 per ride its most likely less that you'd spend in gas at 3.50 per gallon. Plus, no chance for DWI on the ride home :)

Back in the late 70's and 80's we had the Dolphin game bus shuttles from the Cloverleaf in North Miami to the game.
This was to alleviate the traffic in Miami near the stadium and to assist with parking.

We NEVER drove to the game. We drove to the cloverleaf and got on a bus. The cloverleaf was accessible from the turnpike, 95, 27th Ave (University Drive) and other nearby highways and roads. It was a staging area. To bad they do not have that service anymore. It was cheap, safe and lots of fun.

Also, people that are raised in Miami will take the first ticket out of here the second college comes around. A lot of Dolphins fans are not actually in Miami during football season. Most people that come to Miami are tourists, or old people who came here to retire.

Also, people that are raised in Miami will take the first ticket out of here the second college comes around. A lot of Dolphins fans are not actually in Miami during football season. Most people that come to Miami are tourists, or old people who came here to retire.

Good point. When I grew up in Miami, it was a friendly town and the Dolphins were the big draw. Not so much today.
Today sadly, sometimes Jet fans outnumber the Fin fans. Sickening.

oh look, another blame the fans for sucking thread.

oh look, another blame the fans for sucking thread.

I don't blame the fans..I blame the stadium..I understand most think that's crazy, well, I made the point I did because I've been watching this topic as close as anyone for decades...

The venue is culture debilitating..for both programs..Canes and Phins.

Good point. When I grew up in Miami, it was a friendly town and the Dolphins were the big draw. Not so much today.
Today sadly, sometimes Jet fans outnumber the Fin fans. Sickening.

The dolphins play their homes games in a neutral site..that's a problem, if we win, will it improve, yes but only in attendance, the energy needed to make a true home field advantage will never be present because of the architecture, and the negatives that come with that will eventually affect the players negatively..

When fans are that far from the action, it's simple common sense, you get none of the benefits from them being close to the action..

The stadium produces a passive fan, one where t doesn't make you wanna show up early, one that doesn't make you wanna stand when your team is on defense, one that makes you wanna leave early, why, because when your not connected to the action, it doesn't matter..

The stadium is a cancer..the U is losing recruits to other programs that have great venues...players want to play on a stage, one that is intimate and with great atmoshere, sunlife cannot produce that on a consistent basis, and can never produce it relative to the great ones.

Back
Top Bottom