Avenue to explore | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Avenue to explore

MikeO

Premium Member
Club Member
Reaction score
Drew Brees is having a great year in SD. And he won't be there next year with Rivers. SD will have to trade him. Miami should seriously look into him.

1) He is a "young" QB
2) We could probably get him, and not give up a pick. Maybe franchise Surtain then trade him for Brees?! (Surtain is leaving anyway, so why not try to get something for him)
3) He probably will solve our QB problem for the near future.

It also allows us to use our upcoming Top 5 or Top 3, maybe #1 overall pick on an offensive linemen or RB. And not have to worry about getting a QB to groom as Brees is very young and has the NFL experience.

I mean if Brees goes in the tank the rest of this year, then scratch this idea. But I would keep one eye on this guy as he is going to be available and he might be a guy who could help us. Especialy if we plan on trying to keep the defense in tact and make one final run. Brees is a better option than a ROOKIE quarterback as there are no growing pains, and he is still young enough to build your franchise around for the next 10 years or so.

Please tell me you are not suggesting we trade a top 3 CB back for guys who has lost his job to flutie :shakeno:

It's not out of the Question. But that would mean Rick would be saying he was wrong with Feeley, not sure he would do this.

Bowl_Bound said:
Please tell me you are not suggesting we trade a top 3 CB back for guys who has lost his job to flutie :shakeno:
SURTAIN IS LEAVING ANYWAY!!! he won't be here next year. GET SOMETHING FOR HIM! You need to understand that, Surtain won't be a Dolphin next season.

And as I said, he is having a great year THIS YEAR! If he stinks it up the rest of the way, scratch the idea. If not, then its something to explore.

It takes QB's a few years to get up to speed in the NFL. Maybe Brees is finally coming into his own. It's not like he is surronded by a bunch of talent out there.

Why in the HELL would Miami franchise a player who is still under contract?

NJFINSFAN1 said:
It's not out of the Question. But that would mean Rick would be saying he was wrong with Feeley, not sure he would do this.
Who said Rick's gonna make the trade? He will be gone!

Dol-Fan Dupree said:
Why in the HELL would Miami franchise a player who is still under contract?
He isn't under contract AFTER this year. :shakeno:

He is a free agent!

And the POINT of the post isn't Surtain. That was just an idea. I am talking about Brees.

Surtain is signed through this year and next year. Brees is a FA after this year. Why would we give up anything to get him?

MikeO said:
He isn't under contract AFTER this year. :shakeno:
He is a free agent!

not true, he is under contract this year and next year.

LIQUID24 said:
You're wrong on this one bud.
You are correct. He is under contract.

But he will be trade bait with a cap number of $8.3 mill. Especiallly with Poole and Howard.

I was wrong about Surtain. But, the Brees idea is something to explore

MikeO, your wrong as everybody else said.

If you would like to know why people say surtain wont be here next year its not because he is a FA. Its that we should get something for him while we can, recoup some losses and help us for the future. If we let him play through next year he will be a FA and we will have gained nothing. We cant afford him and we have an up and coming guy in Poole.

MikeO said:
SURTAIN IS LEAVING ANYWAY!!! he won't be here next year. GET SOMETHING FOR HIM! You need to understand that, Surtain won't be a Dolphin next season.
And as I said, he is having a great year THIS YEAR! If he stinks it up the rest of the way, scratch the idea. If not, then its something to explore.
It takes QB's a few years to get up to speed in the NFL. Maybe Brees is finally coming into his own. It's not like he is surronded by a bunch of talent out there.
Fine but why take the first offer and run? Surtain is worth more than Brees, and we could get more for Surt. NO WAY Surtain for Brees. Brees and a #2 maybe but not staright up.

I do believe Surtain will be trade bait, but Brees will be FA, so there's no need to trade for him. I think we'll be looking at much-needed draft picks for Surtain, not players.

Back
Top Bottom