Avenue to explore | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Avenue to explore

Drew Brees? No...
#1 Choice should be Hasselback unless he is franchise.
#2 John Kitna

I'm even willing to see A.J Feeley at QB next year if they use #1 pick on a QB and open up check book to get a couple offensive lineman.

If Brees is a FA then forget the entire idea.......lol

No way should we let Surtain go! With that being said, I do like Brees, but I'm not sold that he is an upper tier QB. He's got a top RB over there, not much of a receiving corps and is doing well now...but who knows, with Chambers, Boston, Booker, McMichael and a solid runningback...maybe a Drew Brees would workout well here. It's interesting though...

Surtain is under contract through 2006. Why would we be thinking about trading him now?? :shakeno: :shakeno:

finzfan4life said:
Surtain is under contract through 2006. Why would we be thinking about trading him now?? :shakeno: :shakeno:
Huge cap number next year. $8.3 mill. Plus, we hvae 4 quality starting CB's on the team. No need for that.

Alex Marvez actuallly brought this up in his ASK ALEX yesterday. Saying, Surtain won't get the extension he wants. He said it appears to be his last year in Miami.

TGall13 said:
No way should we let Surtain go! With that being said, I do like Brees, but I'm not sold that he is an upper tier QB. He's got a top RB over there, not much of a receiving corps and is doing well now...but who knows, with Chambers, Boston, Booker, McMichael and a solid runningback...maybe a Drew Brees would workout well here. It's interesting though...

With this line of logic as far as our recieving corp goes...Feeley and Jay should be more successful than Brees...Don't get me wrong, I know what your're saying...I always felt we should have picked Brees in the draft when we had a shot at him instead of Fletcher. But without a solid, hell, I'd settle for average O-line, no QB or RB will have much success in this offense.

I would be more than OK with Feeley, Brees, and Rosenfels as our QBs unless we happen to be in position to draft a flat out stud, but I don't think this will be a good year for QBs in the draft.

Why dont we see if Feley can mature first before we send our top players or draft picks for an average at best QB.

MikeO said:
Huge cap number next year. $8.3 mill. Plus, we hvae 4 quality starting CB's on the team. No need for that.
Alex Marvez actuallly brought this up in his ASK ALEX yesterday. Saying, Surtain won't get the extension he wants. He said it appears to be his last year in Miami.

Why oh why did we extend Maddison after it seemed he was on the decline and loose a chance to extend Pat. :confused: Did the FO actually think this team was close enough to a SB to mortgage like that. :shakeno:

Drew Brees has the arm strenght equal to Jay Fiedler.

Wanny/Speilman will not trade Surtain. If there is anything you can take from their approach it is the belief that you can never have too many cbs. The next FO might evaluate the team differently though.

minus said:
Drew Brees? No...
#1 Choice should be Hasselback unless he is franchise.
#2 John Kitna
I'm even willing to see A.J Feeley at QB next year if they use #1 pick on a QB and open up check book to get a couple offensive lineman.
Minus, we rarely agree, but this time we do.
That is a GREAT idea, much better than trading Surtain for Brees. A) We can get more for Surtain than a marginal NFL starting QB. B) Said QB is set to become a FA after this season.

MikeO said:
Drew Brees is having a great year in SD. And he won't be there next year with Rivers. SD will have to trade him. Miami should seriously look into him.

1) He is a "young" QB
2) We could probably get him, and not give up a pick. Maybe franchise Surtain then trade him for Brees?! (Surtain is leaving anyway, so why not try to get something for him)
3) He probably will solve our QB problem for the near future.

It also allows us to use our upcoming Top 5 or Top 3, maybe #1 overall pick on an offensive linemen or RB. And not have to worry about getting a QB to groom as Brees is very young and has the NFL experience.

I mean if Brees goes in the tank the rest of this year, then scratch this idea. But I would keep one eye on this guy as he is going to be available and he might be a guy who could help us. Especialy if we plan on trying to keep the defense in tact and make one final run. Brees is a better option than a ROOKIE quarterback as there are no growing pains, and he is still young enough to build your franchise around for the next 10 years or so.
This is crazy bro, NO WAY! We will atleast get a 1st rounder and another roster player.

PLUS, How is he leaving next year? He's still under contract man?

If we use Surtain for bait we should be talking to Seattle for 1 of the 3 guys that will be FA's next year....Being Alexander,Hassleback and Jones.

Straight up Surtain to the Hawks for Jones in a sign and trade.Seattle cant afford all 3 and only has like all teams 1 Franchise Tag.They are in a bind and this would make both teams happy!!

I loved Brees in college.....saw a lot of his games because I'm in Big 10 country.....and in his third year it looks like he could be coming around solidly. He definitely showed some sparks of being great his first year, didn't do as well last year, but in his third year now I think he's making good progress. Like a previous poster mentioned I really wanted the Dolphins to draft him instead of Fletcher. I sure wouldn't mind having him on the team, but I'm not sure trading Surtain for him is the way to go.

MikeO said:
SURTAIN IS LEAVING ANYWAY!!! he won't be here next year. GET SOMETHING FOR HIM! You need to understand that, Surtain won't be a Dolphin next season.

And as I said, he is having a great year THIS YEAR! If he stinks it up the rest of the way, scratch the idea. If not, then its something to explore.

It takes QB's a few years to get up to speed in the NFL. Maybe Brees is finally coming into his own. It's not like he is surronded by a bunch of talent out there.
Are you out of your friggin mind? Brees has a couple of decent games and you want to trade our best defensive player for him?:lol: :roflmao:
If you're thinking that Surtain is gone, why not trade him for?....I don't know... A GOOD PLAYER!

Back
Top Bottom