Baldy breaks down Austin Jackson Jaguars tape | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Baldy breaks down Austin Jackson Jaguars tape

The fact he's able to regain the anchor and not be completely pushed onto his *** is encouraging. You can clearly see he is still growing into his body at only 20 years of age. The bone marrow procedure effectively took a whole offseason of strength and conditioning away, so physically I've always viewed him as a year behind his peers. I might be wrong, but Jackson looks like a stud in the making already. I'm not sure in 12+ years of being on here I've ever felt that way about an OL draft pick.

I find his ability to recover his balance amazing. There are a number of plays where he is off balance and I cringe expecting Fitz to be hit hard. Then within a half step from the defender he seems to get back to an acceptable position and survive the rep. I cannot say I have seen that from any other player. Long-term he needs to be more consistent, so I guess it only matters during the current season.

The fact he's able to regain the anchor and not be completely pushed onto his *** is encouraging. You can clearly see he is still growing into his body at only 20 years of age. The bone marrow procedure effectively took a whole offseason of strength and conditioning away, so physically I've always viewed him as a year behind his peers. I might be wrong, but Jackson looks like a stud in the making already. I'm not sure in 12+ years of being on here I've ever felt that way about an OL draft pick.

Correct. Jackson mentioned it several times last year at USC, that his core strength is what suffered when he devoted the 2019 offseason and summer to his sister. Here's a clip after the Iowa bowl game in which he mentions it near the end of the video. Also note the general lack of enthusiasm in his voice and everything else. That was mirrored throughout the USC program based on the Clay Helton situation and unrest among the fan base:

Can you elaborate. I'm pretty sure we got 2 1s and a 2 for Tunsil, plus we unloaded the Stills contract.

That's not even getting into the fact that we would have had to pay Tunsil, probably, minimum 15 mil per, with 40-50 gauranteed.

It was a no brainer, given the situation.

The term "shopping him" is also inaccurate.

$20 Million, best case he gave us a slight discount at $18 or so.

That’s basically Austin Jackson’s salary, Yanick Ngakwe signed as a FA AND a first and second rounder from a team currently 0-3.

Best trade the Dolphins have made since?

Tunsil is a gifted LT. Jackson is a gifted athlete. I’m thrilled with the way things worked out.

In other LT news, Andrew Thomas is looking horrible through 3 games. Surely the circumstances of that team don’t help him out but he was supposed to possess the kind of talent to help out the less talented players. Giants are spiraling. They are going to mail it in soon and I’d look into possibly poaching Evan Engram off that roster.

I’d even explore a Saquan Barkley deal in the off season. Coming off the injury and the Giants having no direction, I’d be tempted to look into that.

Speaking of NY, somehow the Jets are even worse than the Giants. Mekhi Becton is hurt. Sam Darnold is Mark Sanchez.

I believe Wills in Cleveland has played pretty well so far. Haven’t heard much about Tristan Wirfs......don’t care.

I liked Jackson pre-draft, love him now.

Last edited:
$20 Million, best case he gave us a slight discount at $18 or so.

That’s basically Austin Jackson’s salary, Yanick Ngakwe signed as a FA AND a first and second rounder from a team currently 0-3.

Best trade the Dolphins have made since?

Tunsil is a gifted LT. Jackson is a gifted athlete. I’m thrilled with the way things worked out.

In other LT news, Andrew Thomas is looking horrible through 3 games. Surely the circumstances of that team don’t help him out but he was supposed to possess the kind of talent to help out the less talented players. Giants are spiraling. They are going to mail it in soon and I’d look into possibly poaching Evan Engram off that roster.

I’d even explore a Saquan Barkley deal in the off season. Coming off the injury and the Giants having no direction, I’d be tempted to look into that.

Speaking of NY, somehow the Jets are even worse than the Giants. Mekhi Becton is hurt. Sam Darnold is Mark Sanchez.

I believe Wills in Cleveland has played pretty well so far. Haven’t heard much about Tristan Wirfs......don’t care.

I liked Jackson pre-draft, love him now.

Funny you mention Thomas playing bad...this article surprised me, apparently Jackson is the only 1st round tackle graded below Thomas

Funny you mention Thomas playing bad...this article surprised me, apparently Jackson is the only 1st round tackle graded below Thomas

That is why sometimes PFF confuses me. They have our entire OL ranked as below back up level based on their rankings. Not saying the OL is great but having seen the OL we have put out basically the last decade I would say this line is at least competent.

Its weird too cause I don't believe Jackson has been credited with a sack against either so thats where it gers confusing

None of what you said makes it 'obvious' that he was going to be any good. A good story and potential doesn't guarantee a good football player (Charles Harris). I'm just glad 3 games in and he's already trending upwards. I just remember hearing people calling him a reach of a pick :shrug:
Imo wasn’t a reach at all, No hindsight, he was an excellent value pick at #18, reason being he had shown hi level talent at the position, an aggressive\competitive nature, great size, and great character traits, plus the bonus of his youth., just needed work on sone technique..

That is why sometimes PFF confuses me. They have our entire OL ranked as below back up level based on their rankings. Not saying the OL is great but having seen the OL we have put out basically the last decade I would say this line is at least competent.

Its weird too cause I don't believe Jackson has been credited with a sack against either so thats where it gers confusing
It becomes less confusing if you start with the premise that PFF sucks...

I had a top 20 grade on Jackson in fact he was my primary target at 18 when the board fell the way it did. I messaged Albert Romano here and he can tell ya before the pick when he asked me who we should/would take and I told him Jackson. He’s proving to be a faster study than expected even. Raw but massive upside and top shelf foot speed and short area lateral quicks. That kids just a baby. Left tackle looks to be in good hands already.

Brandon jones instincts at safety are a welcome addition. He sees things that no one else sees in that group at a much faster clip. Shown to be a pretty solid tackler too. He looks like a long term starter piece at even though we don’t designate it strong or free in our system the strong type ask.

I don’t think rowe gives you much other than carry coverage on tight ends. Which of course is a value. I just wish he had more overall impact play at safety
Recall us discussing Jackson pre-draft and I had mentioned his athleticism. I don’t doubt that he was your pick at #18..
Seems like many underestimated the effect of the bone marrow procedure on his final season at USC.
Overall the 2020 draft appears successful-
We have to overcome the Rosen trade and failure to draft an anchor Center in 2019.

Our needs remain-
OFF: RB- C- RT? (Hunt?), WR
DEF: DE Pass Rusher- FS- DT - LB?
With 5 HIGH Value picks we should be a 10 win team next year.
Assuming Tua is who we believe he is.

Back
Top Bottom