Ball spin | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ball spin

chuck dezl

Club Member
Reaction score
Just curious and trying to give us some context. How many of our receivers have caught passes from a left handed spiral? How fast and tight is Tua's spiral? Would a quick change in the middle of the game cause drops or route miscommunications? The line has to block differently? I bet Fitzpatrick can throw lefty so we can get the bumps out of the way with him...

I would say it’s definitely a different type of ball coming from a lefty versus righty but I think receivers will adjust fairly quickly.

If you’re saying that they’re going to have Fitzpatrick throw lefty I think that’s ridiculous

I would say it’s definitely a different type of ball coming from a lefty versus righty but I think receivers will adjust fairly quickly.

If you’re saying that they’re going to have Fitzpatrick throw lefty I think that’s ridiculous
Probably easier to have Tua throw righty, since he is right handed....only started throwing left handed because his dad was left handed.

Didn't see that being a problem when Tua replaced Hurts late in games.

Any concerns just watch the second half of the championship game against Georgia his freshman year.

Do you seriously think he’s going to start throwing right handed, serious question just can’t imagine he’s going to change it all up right now

Jerry Rice and Terrell Owens both said it took them about a season to adjust to a lefty QB. Any notion that Tua will start throwing right handed (he is a righty who throws left-handed, like Todd Marinovich) is absurd.Same for any suggestions Fitzpatrick throws lefty. Posts that suggest this seem like trolling :)

Do you seriously think he’s going to start throwing right handed, serious question just can’t imagine he’s going to change it all up right now
No
But he could do it easier than Fitz throwing lefty

I guess all those WRs from Alabama have a similar learning curve if this is a real thing. Which I find absurd.

Jerry Rice and Terrell Owens both said it took them about a season to adjust to a lefty QB. Any notion that Tua will start throwing right handed (he is a righty who throws left-handed, like Todd Marinovich) is absurd.Same for any suggestions Fitzpatrick throws lefty. Posts that suggest this seem like trolling :)

It might be a slight problem for a little while. But it’s not like he’s a left handed BF throwing 100 mph fast balls.

All I can think of is when Bill Belichick brought in Ryan Allen. He knew or figured that returnees would have a hard time fielding his punts because he kicks left footed. The spin of the ball is different and creates issues fielding. How much that effects our recievers and Tua? I could not tell you, but for sure their will be time to adjust. That's all I can think of

Jerry Rice and Terrell Owens both said it took them about a season to adjust to a lefty QB.
Owens had lefty Steve Young as his QB when he was drafted by SF. Maybe he had to adjust to a lefty after his college QBs. I do remember reading tho, that Rice and John Taylor had an asst trainer or equipt guy who was left-handed, throwing them balls before and after practice, after the Niners signed Young. Good receivers will adjust.

Terrel Owens came into the league with Steve Young the starting QB in 1996.

Young took over for Montana to start 1991 after Joe's knee injury. Bono got in 6 starts toward the end of the 91 season when Young got hurt.

John Taylor had one of his two best seasons in 1991 when Young replaced Montana. Rice had a bit of drop off from the previous year when the 49ers were dominant going 14-2 under Montana, but only a drop off by Rice standards as he still had 80 catches, 1206 yards, 14 TDs (1 more than in 1990 and 12 of Rice's TDs were in the 10 starts Young had).

Not saying there wasn't an adjustment with the WRs, it just didn't result in much of a hindrance in production.

Will making a transition from Fitz to Tua be that much different than making a transition from Fitz to Rosen or any other QB?

We'll find out when the change happens, but Tua throws such a catch-able ball and is so accurate with his ball placement I put my money on it being an easy transition.

Back
Top Bottom