Ball spin | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ball spin

Maybe it's just me but I find this to be a moot point. It was only at the HS level but we had a right handed QB then a lefty later on and I dint notice a difference when catching the ball in practices, games etc. I honestly dont even see how the direction of the spin would matter in the slightest, you still catch the ball with two hands and unless you Always line up on one side the field the ball is coming in from all kinds of angles and hitt9ng your hands in different ways anyway. Also Jerry Rice saying it took a year to get used to a left handed QB seems odd seeing as how the first year Young took over as the starter Rice had over 1,000 yards and his career high in TD's for a season(22) in just 12 games.

Maybe it's just me but I find this to be a moot point. It was only at the HS level but we had a right handed QB then a lefty later on and I dint notice a difference when catching the ball in practices, games etc. I honestly dont even see how the direction of the spin would matter in the slightest, you still catch the ball with two hands and unless you Always line up on one side the field the ball is coming in from all kinds of angles and hitt9ng your hands in different ways anyway. Also Jerry Rice saying it took a year to get used to a left handed QB seems odd seeing as how the first year Young took over as the starter Rice had over 1,000 yards and his career high in TD's for a season(22) in just 12 games.

Agree. In HS, our starter was right-handed and the backup (who was in frequently - we were pretty bad) was an lefty. As a WR, I noticed little difference other than the VISUAL spin. A couple of throws from the lefty on the sidelines and the WRs were good. To be fair, they weren't throwing as fast as an NFL QB and that may make a difference.

I guess all those WRs from Alabama have a similar learning curve if this is a real thing. Which I find absurd.

I'm just saying what they said. Is your avatar the Matt Moore lookalike pic that Ryan Tannehill used during the 2012 rookie show (from Hard Knocks).

Terrel Owens came into the league with Steve Young the starting QB in 1996.

Young took over for Montana to start 1991 after Joe's knee injury. Bono got in 6 starts toward the end of the 91 season when Young got hurt.

John Taylor had one of his two best seasons in 1991 when Young replaced Montana. Rice had a bit of drop off from the previous year when the 49ers were dominant going 14-2 under Montana, but only a drop off by Rice standards as he still had 80 catches, 1206 yards, 14 TDs (1 more than in 1990 and 12 of Rice's TDs were in the 10 starts Young had).

Not saying there wasn't an adjustment with the WRs, it just didn't result in much of a hindrance in production.

Will making a transition from Fitz to Tua be that much different than making a transition from Fitz to Rosen or any other QB?

We'll find out when the change happens, but Tua throws such a catch-able ball and is so accurate with his ball placement I put my money on it being an easy transition.

Yeah, I am fully aware of SF's QB history and the workouts the WR's had with the left-handed 49ers assistant. I think Owens meant making the transition from college to the NFL. I don't believe they were even referring to a physical transition. It's a mental transition because the spin of the ball is different. It provides a different visual. I was just responding to the OP's thoughts. I wasn't saying the transition will/won't be easy. The players in teh NFL are at the top of their profession, obviously. They will adjust to the different visual.

Probably easier to have Tua throw righty, since he is right handed....only started throwing left handed because his dad was left handed.
Source? He's an ambidextrous thrower? How well does the throw with the right vs the left?

This subject was discussed here once before and I cannot remember who or what it was about. I posted in that thread as I can attest to spin be it clockwise or counterclockwise.
I used to be a freestyle Frisbee player. I honed my abilities at Dania beach in the 70's and 80's.

I was able to field the spinning disk by allowing it to rotate on my finger. I was very good at this.
However, when someone threw the disc underhanded the disc came to me spinning in the opposite direction. I could not control it. It took many months to get the direction thing worked out. And I still hated to see a player loft one to me underhanded.
I also had to watch the person throwing to know the direction the disc would be spinning when it arrived. Good players throw conventional and underhanded. I had to be prepared for both.

This is proof enough for me to know there is a learning curve. I understand a Frisbee is different than a football. But my experience is real and I do think it will require adjustments for receivers.

Source? He's an ambidextrous thrower? How well does the throw with the right vs the left?
I had read it before when I was investigating him for the draft and was amassed at the dedication it took for him to do it, sounds like he started young to imitate his father who is left hand, not my source originally but this is what google had.

Yes, the NFL’s latest lefty QB is a natural right-hander, one whose father, Galu, turned him into a (sometimes) southpaw in his youth.

“My dad was the only lefty in our family and he wanted me to be a lefty as well, so he switched the way I threw,” explained Tagovailoa, who still eats, writes and golfs right-handed but shoots baskets and throws footballs with his left.

He is a ambidextrous thrower, No I didn't say that, but he must be quite ambidextrous...by now.

All I said was he was a natural righty who learned to throw lefty for his dad.

Was quit impressed that he did it, it must of taken a lot of dedication.

There is no difference to maybe very little difference.

Obviously I have not caught passes from a college or NFL talent QB (I did catch a few from our high school coach...a former left handed QB), but as a receiver you are not looking from what direction the ball is coming from, but where the ball is.

Though the ball rotation looks and is different, once it hit's your hands, it really does not feel any different...Not like the QB is throwing Knuckle balls, change ups, or curves of the football.

The important thing to how tough will it be to catch his balls, is how catchable his passes are...Tua's passes are very catchable. If by Tua being lefty meant there was extra action and movement to his passes, that would mean Tua is not much of a QB from the left side. All the QB needs to do is get the pass to the receiver in as straight a throw as possible.

A QB like Elway was brutal to catch, because he at times would throw heat to get the ball to the receiver.

If you watch the videos of Tua, he gets the ball to the receiver by just being rediculously precise, or throwing on perfect timing on timing patterns. His deep passes just fall in a few inches in front of the receiver...That's what they call a receivers dream come true.

Once the receivers get used to where the ball is coming from (A few seconds to a few minutes for those that care, and from the 1st pass for those that don't care from what direction it's coming from.

If the direction of spin effects any receiver's ability to catch the ball, even in the slightest, he should be playing defensive back.

If makes zero difference.

Back
Top Bottom