Baltimore radio reporting a deal with Robinson.. | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Baltimore radio reporting a deal with Robinson..

Originally posted by DannyNoonan

PhinPhan1227, I think you might be correct in your assessment of the $4mil cap room figure after June 1. However, our rookies will not count $2mil against the cap. The rookie pool is above $2mil, but that is the amount we are allowed to spend on signing all of them. Only Moore's contract and Smith's contract look to be large enough to make our top 51 contracts (the ones that count against the cap figure for the entire team). I thought I stated that quite clearly above, sorry for the confusion. Please re-read statements 2 and 3 above. We should have plenty of room to sign a few veteran FAs if they sign for the minimum. If FAs want more than the minimum, then it gets tricky. I am unsure what we'll offer Griese and Knight.

I don't dispute the fact that we could sign 1-2 FA's for the minimum...what I dispute is the fact that any FA Wide Reciever better than the ones already discussed would sign for anywhere NEAR the minimum salary. That just doesn't make any sense when you look at the dollars already paid to the Recievers who have been out there. The only recievers we'll get from here on out will be the Gadsdens and Crowells, who would be no better than #4 recievers at this point. I think that's the misunderstanding here...you think I was saying we couldn't sign ANYBODY, while I was only saying that we couldn't sign players better than those we've already seen as BSQX4 predicted.

If for some strange reason a top notch WR becomes available watch some of these high dollar guys reneg down just enough help secure him as the final piece of the puzzle.
Good bit of what left will go to Griese, but there will be more room and some of these guys can play some real team ball with cap when the time comes to do so, IF a top notch WR somehow drops.

PhinPhan...I think you are correct that, in the current market, no FA WR that we could sign would be much better than Thompson or McKnight. Two possibilities remain, though, to sign one that is better. One is what Mr.Murder proposed--that if a solid WR became available some of our higher salaried guys might change their contracts to accommodate the signing of the WR. The second is that the WR FA market changes a bit. This could happen after June 1 if a few WRs are released and supply is ahead of demand. Then, perhaps, the better WRs available will be forced to sign for the minimum, and the best ones would have only the luxury of choosing which team to sign with. In this case, the Dolphins have to look attractive (competitive team, chance for real playing time, good working environment, etc.).

Another possibility remains, too. That is we sign a veteran FA WR to the minimum who merely competes with McKnight and Thompson, perhaps getting some playing time, and providing much better depth in case of injury than the other WRs we currently have on roster. Upgrading WR #4 for a minimal cap hit might be a possibility. Heck, we had to sign Cris Carter last year because injuries hit us so bad at WR. It has been, what, 6 or 7 years now that our WRs have been dropping like flies.

Lets face it. Every year in training camp or preseason we lose at least one or two WR's to torn acl's. I would rather go into it with an over abundance of quality WR's then not enuff.

Originally posted by Mr.Murder
If for some strange reason a top notch WR becomes available watch some of these high dollar guys reneg down just enough help secure him as the final piece of the puzzle.
Good bit of what left will go to Griese, but there will be more room and some of these guys can play some real team ball with cap when the time comes to do so, IF a top notch WR somehow drops.

Lol...like the way they renogotiated to give us room to sign one of the FA Left Tackles we desperately needed? If every player who could(or that we would want to) renegotiated their deals, we would still only free up a million or so. But the chances of them doing so when they refused to do so at the beginning of Free Agency are DAMNED slim.

Originally posted by DannyNoonan
The second is that the WR FA market changes a bit. This could happen after June 1 if a few WRs are released and supply is ahead of demand. Then, perhaps, the better WRs available will be forced to sign for the minimum, and the best ones would have only the luxury of choosing which team to sign with. In this case, the Dolphins have to look attractive (competitive team, chance for real playing time, good working environment, etc.).

If there was the chance of a lot of first rank WR's being released along with a slate of 2nd rank WR's, that WOULD be a possibility. But looking at the teams, there aren't more than 1-2 GOOD recievers who might be cut after June 1st. Even if something freakish happens, there aren't more than 3-4 recievers who would be arguably better than what we have getting cut lose. Considering how many teams are still out there with Reciever corps weaker than ours, you've still got a bidding war with ANY starting reciever that gets cut June 1st. I'm sure we could still get another #4 guy...but no sure starters...no way.

we don't need Robinson or Cromwell. I think we're fine as we are with CC,Thopmson and Tolver(all he does is catch passes). I can't wait to see Tolver this coming year playing the slot.

Btw, why is everyone trying to make a big deal about Robinson or any other WR's out there? We are a RUNNING team. We're gonna run and run and run some more and then we'll trow it from time to time to keep them honest. I'm not worry about our WR's. I just want the o-line and Jay to stay healthy.

up the irons!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's Crowell...

Not Nolan Cromwell...the L.A. Ram
Not Simon Cowell...the American idol judge

Back
Top Bottom