Barry Jackson notes. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Barry Jackson notes.

AL R

Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
### Mel Kiper’s latest mock draft on espn.com has a surprise pick for the Dolphins at No. 14: Washington defensive tackle Danny Shelton.
Here’s the rationale of Kiper, who has four receivers (including DeVante Parker and Breshad Perriman) being taken in the top 12:
The Dolphins added Ndamukong Suh, but the depth chart for the interior of their defensive line is basically 'Suh and that's about it.' Shelton is a different kind of player than Suh, with a far more limited ability to rush the passer, but if they're on the field at the same time it could free Suh up to be the kind of disruptor the Dolphins are paying for, which is what took place in Detroit, where the Lions had a good rotation along the interior. Shelton isn't just insurance for Suh, he's a nice complement. He's not as disruptive as sack and TFL totals indicate, but he can eat up double-teams at the point of attack and make others around him better. He has great awareness and will occasionally simply discard blocks and make the tackle himself.”
### In addition to the slew of names mentioned in the last post, here are a few more players auditioning for the Dolphins on Friday: Marshall quarterback Rakeem Cato (40 touchdown passes, 13 picks, 3903 yards last season), Marshall receiver Tommy Shuler (92 catches, 1138 yards but only 5-9), Auburn safety Robenson Therezie and Bethune Cookman linebacker/defensive end Lynden Trail, a former Gator.
All four were South Florida high school standouts.
Trail could be a mid-round pick and Therezie a late-rounder. The two Marshall prospects figure to be undrafted free agents.
### FSU tight end Nick O’Leary, a potential mid-round prospect, visited the Dolphins this evening, as we noted a couple weeks ago…. Among the unique local prospects auditioning for the Dolphins: 6-foot-7 skilled pass-catching tight end Massachusetts tight end Jean Sifrin, a 27-year-old former Norland student who quit high school and held a variety of jobs (including working at a Miami warehouse that shipped food to Public) before former UM offensive coordinator Mark Whipple brought him to UMass last year.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/spor...s-visits-a-kiper-surprise-canes-tv-items.html

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't agree we have no other DT's. We have 5 ... namely Earl Mitchell, Anthony Johnson, and AJ Francis. All good and uncoming IMO.

I want Walford over O'Leary. Yes I know this team has needs but realistically Jordan Cameron is a 50 50 (the odds are probably lower than that after multiple concussions), and we just lost the best tight end we've had in years. If Cameron is a one year stop gap, or cant make it the entire season, it would be nice to have Walford as the future. The kid is going to be a complete monster in the NFL

Honestly I am fine with Suh, Mitchel, Johnson, Francis at the DT position. Sure, we could upgrade the depth. But Suh/Mitchell as the 1-2 is fine by me.

Desperate for upgrades at other positions at the STARTER level.

CB/WR/G/LB

Still need a MLB with Misi likely kicking back outside.
Still need a CB opposite of Grimes (Taylor and Davis do not give me confidence).
Still need a G with Pouncey moving back to C and Boot Strap Billy Turner taking on the LG position I assume. (Maybe that guy from the Giants steps in?)
Still need a game changing WR. Stills will be a solid deep threat and Landry runs in the slot but we need that #1 (Coop, Parker, White, DGB?)

So far the signs they have shown are they are okay with Misi back at MLB, okay with G position and at CB for starters. That scares me but will wait to see what they 'actually do' come draft. They appear to see the need to upgrade at WR.

If Shelton falls to us at 14 then plenty of teams would want to trade up to draft him. It's tempting to take him but with so many needs and the draft being deep I'd trade down

Ozzy rules

I want Walford over O'Leary. Yes I know this team has needs but realistically Jordan Cameron is a 50 50 (the odds are probably lower than that after multiple concussions), and we just lost the best tight end we've had in years. If Cameron is a one year stop gap, or cant make it the entire season, it would be nice to have Walford as the future. The kid is going to be a complete monster in the NFL

Walford will be good. I also like GT's Waller and turning him into a TE like Cameron was.

I'd prefer Walford by a mile too, but he's gone by the middle of the 2nd round. O'leary is projected to be around in the 4th or 5th. I'm not sure our front office has the balls to go TE i one of the first two rounds.

Honestly I am fine with Suh, Mitchel, Johnson, Francis at the DT position. Sure, we could upgrade the depth. But Suh/Mitchell as the 1-2 is fine by me.

Desperate for upgrades at other positions at the STARTER level.

CB/WR/G/LB

Still need a MLB with Misi likely kicking back outside.
Still need a CB opposite of Grimes (Taylor and Davis do not give me confidence).
Still need a G with Pouncey moving back to C and Boot Strap Billy Turner taking on the LG position I assume. (Maybe that guy from the Giants steps in?)
Still need a game changing WR. Stills will be a solid deep threat and Landry runs in the slot but we need that #1 (Coop, Parker, White, DGB?)

Honestly as of right now we have Suh and Mitchell. I like Francis and Johnson but the fact is both were udfas Francis has yet to play any significant time and both ended the season on IR. Not exactly proven depth

I don't agree we have no other DT's. We have 5 ... namely Earl Mitchell, Anthony Johnson, and AJ Francis. All good and uncoming IMO.

If Anthony Johnson and AJ Francis were good they probably would have been drafted don't you think? Also they would have played a lot more than they have. Francis spent his first year in the league on a practice squad and Johnson got all of about 76 snaps last year on our defense...about a games worth...Francis has yet to play in an NFL game. I don't call anyone up and coming until they've actually proved they can play and show some flashes. I can say Damien Williams is up and coming cause he showed some flashes last year especially as a receiver out of the backfield...can't say that about Johnson or Francis.

I have a lot of confidence that Anthony Johnson can become a nice little addition for us. A little bit raw, but has all of the qualities you look for in a DT. If Shelton falls to us though, I'd be ok with the addition.

Yeah, the notion that we ARE set at DT is a lilttle misguided. We MIGHT be set at the position, but just because a couples guys have showed some upside doesn't mean they are definitely players.

Don't see Kiper's pick at all. We're going WR, CB or maybe even RB depending on what the FO is thinking. Lots of smoke screens this time of year. I'm for getting another stud RB, there are 5 or 6 that are awesome players. The U of Miami has everything we need. Perryman(IL), Duke Johnson (RB), Dorsett (WR), Wolford(TE) and they also have the great tackle, Flowers and some others that will go undrafted. If we could land Dorsett, the Duke and Perryman we're a much better football team. In round 1 we could trade down to the 20s and snag Dorsett, grab Perryman in the 2nd and somehow make Duke Johnson happen. All 3 are blue chip standouts right from our own backyard. No red flags on any of these guys. Speed kills!!! Dorsett and Stills would cause defenses fits and underneath stuff to Landry and Cameron and hit them with Miller and Duke!!! That's an offense!!! Fill in the draft with line, CB etc.

You draft Shelton at 14 and I'm not even sure he starts over Mitchell. At 14 I'm not looking to round out depth at a position, I'm looking to fill a key need. Be it G, WR, CB, MLB.

Back
Top Bottom