Barry Jackson notes. | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Barry Jackson notes.

You draft Shelton at 14 and I'm not even sure he starts over Mitchell. At 14 I'm not looking to round out depth at a position, I'm looking to fill a key need. Be it G, WR, CB, MLB.

This is solid thinking, we almost HAVE to go CB or WR if the talent that falls to us warrants it.

At the end of the day it comes down to this....what would make your team better? Adding Shelton and having a pick in round 2 and 4 or moving down, possible draft a solid starter around 19 or so and have 2 picks in round 2 or 1 in each round, regaing our 3rd. I can see both sides. You want elit players. At the same time you want to be good across the board. We'd have an awesome rotation at DTs but still need a corner, mlb, guard and big WR.

It's a matter of what you think makes us better.

Ozzy rules!!

You draft Shelton at 14 and I'm not even sure he starts over Mitchell. At 14 I'm not looking to round out depth at a position, I'm looking to fill a key need. Be it G, WR, CB, MLB.

If we go Shelton at 14, he is absolutely, 100% starting for us if he's healthy.

With that being said, I wouldn't draft Shelton over Parker, or Waynes... I do not think Parker, Waynes, or Shelton will be there anyway.

for what shelton gives you i'm very confident eddie goldman can in a trade down where you acquire more picks

for what shelton gives you i'm very confident eddie goldman can in a trade down where you acquire more picks

It depends on how the draft plays out, but at this point I think a trade down is our best case scenario. I just can't see Parker, Waynes, or Shelton getting to us because they're just too talented and the teams above us have major needs at those positions. There won't be a sure fire pass rushing 4-3 DE there, there won't be a legit FS there, Sherff probably goes 9 or 10, and La'el Collins doesn't seem like he has much value at 14...

Ideally, Parker, Waynes, Sherff or Shelton will fall to us, but I doubt it. If we can trade down into the low 20s and target Kendricks, Perriman, Strong, or Agholor I'd be happy with any of those guys, then go fill some more holes with 2 2nd rounders. There should be some very nice value at guard and RB in round 2.

That's a great point. Mitchell is solid. Not elite, but solid. He will compliment Suh quite nicely. Could Shelton beat him out? Maybe. Maybe not. That alone makes me question the need for Shelton at #14. Coincidentally, if we did get Shelton, this would be an awful lot like the Lions in the 2011 draft.

They drafted Suh in 2010, then the following year they snagged Nick Fairley. That was out of left field, no one thought they were going in that direction since they already had Suh. But the more people thought about it, having those two studs up front was pretty enticing. So perhaps we will will see a 2011 Lions repeat in Miami. But, I think our big difference is that we have Mitchell. I don't believe the Lions had another DL of Mitchell's quality on their roster to pair with Suh at the time. We do.

Do you draft Shelton for a possible upgrade up front? Or do you lock down a definite upgrade elsewhere?

It depends on how the draft plays out, but at this point I think a trade down is our best case scenario. I just can't see Parker, Waynes, or Shelton getting to us because they're just too talented and the teams above us have major needs at those positions. There won't be a sure fire pass rushing 4-3 DE there, there won't be a legit FS there, Sherff probably goes 9 or 10, and La'el Collins doesn't seem like he has much value at 14...

Ideally, Parker, Waynes, Sherff or Shelton will fall to us, but I doubt it. If we can trade down into the low 20s and target Kendricks, Perriman, Strong, or Agholor I'd be happy with any of those guys, then go fill some more holes with 2 2nd rounders. There should be some very nice value at guard and RB in round 2.

Should be interesting to see how it plays out. Jameis/Mariota eat up two slots. You have 4-5 edge rushers, Coop, White and I assume Sheriff is gone. The 12-14 slot in the draft is going to get spicy.

Should be interesting to see how it plays out. Jameis/Mariota eat up two slots. You have 4-5 edge rushers, Coop, White and I assume Sheriff is gone. The 12-14 slot in the draft is going to get spicy.

That's the problem. I think it's gonna be a total dick tease. I actually wouldn't be shocked if Parker falls all the way to 13 and the Saints take him. The guys that we want like Parker, Waynes, Shelton and Sherf will probably all go directly in the 4-5 spots before we pick.

your kidding, right? you need to study both those players film. Mitchell isn't even close to what Sheldon is at the point of attack and his haloti type ability to stand up double linemen consistently. I like Brown better as his game is like Suh's, monster run stopper with pass rush ability. but Sheldon is worth a top 10 choice and will put Mitchell in rotation where he belongs.

no rookie is guaranteed as anything can happen. that logic doesn't hold water.

Isn't Sheldon more of a 3-4 NT?

It is interesting how all someone has to do is mention a player for the Phins at 14 and people just go GaGa for them...

Isn't Sheldon more of a 3-4 NT?

It is interesting how all someone has to do is mention a player for the Phins at 14 and people just go GaGa for them...

I'm not advocating Shelton, although I wouldn't be quite opposed to it either. Point being, we could still use his talents if used properly. Great coaches like Belichick are able to play both a 4-3 and a 3-4 at the same time and Carroll uses similar principles up front with some interior lineman playing the 2 technique and others playing the 1 to lend confusion and allow the back 7 to operate more freely.

Shelton would provide us with some huge beef on the D Line. I have also heard good things about Marshall QB Cato.....CK likes him a lot.

your kidding, right? you need to study both those players film. Mitchell isn't even close to what Sheldon is at the point of attack and his haloti type ability to stand up double linemen consistently. I like Brown better as his game is like Suh's, monster run stopper with pass rush ability. but Sheldon is worth a top 10 choice and will put Mitchell in rotation where he belongs.

no rookie is guaranteed as anything can happen. that logic doesn't hold water.

I'm not arguing that Shelton has a higher ceiling. I'm saying Mitchell is a good enough player and a better complement to Suh where he could hold off on Shelton starting year 1. And so I personally would rather fill a glaring need with such a high pick than round out my depth chart at DT.

Back
Top Bottom