Sure

Jay Novacek daryl johnstone and the main reason is

G- Larry Allen
G- Nate Newton
C- Mark Stepnoski
T-Mark Tunei
T- Erik Williams

The best Oline in the NFL to Ever Exist
Still takes SOME level of talent to put up 18,000+ yards.

I've seen every game Barry every played. In the early years, Barry was often just another pass play in the Run and Shoot offense. Either he would take a "sack" (tackle for loss) or burst it for incredible yardage. Barry has more carries of 80+ yards than anyone in NFL history, including two in one game. In his later years, he had far fewer tackled for loss, because the Lions actually carried a fullback and tight end and had, at least in 1995-97, an all-pro offensive line. No surprise he rushed for over 2000 yards in 1997, and over 2000 yards in a 14 game span (something only OJ Simpson has done as well). Barry's line was as good as Dallas' line those few years, but the rest of the time, they were terrible by comparison. The passing game was always sporadic, except 1993-1995, despite having Barry as a threat. Stupid lions ownership chased him off by not committing to winning. The Ford family sees its Lions as a business first. Before William Clay Ford bought the team, the Lions had won 3 NFL titles in the 1950's. Ford bought the team in 1962 and have one playoff win to show for it in all that time. Barry was under contract for 3 more years, and the Lions refused to trade him. Barry hung it up rather than sit through what we fans have. Smart guy, Barry.

At any rate, Barry is, was, and always will be the greatest player ever to play the running back position. Jim Brown was awesome, but he was a man playing among boys, at a time when the average defensive lineman was no bigger than he was. Put Brown up against today's 300 pound linemen and 250 pound linebackers and I seriously doubt his ability to gain over 5 yards a carry. Brown was the most dominating back ever, but only because of his era. Props to Brown. Emmit is great, and an all time great at that, but the cowboys also had a defense, and time of possession advantage, and usually the lead (more running plays called).

LionsAllTheWay said:
I've seen every game Barry every played. In the early years, Barry was often just another pass play in the Run and Shoot offense. Either he would take a "sack" (tackle for loss) or burst it for incredible yardage. Barry has more carries of 80+ yards than anyone in NFL history, including two in one game. In his later years, he had far fewer tackled for loss, because the Lions actually carried a fullback and tight end and had, at least in 1995-97, an all-pro offensive line. No surprise he rushed for over 2000 yards in 1997, and over 2000 yards in a 14 game span (something only OJ Simpson has done as well). Barry's line was as good as Dallas' line those few years, but the rest of the time, they were terrible by comparison. The passing game was always sporadic, except 1993-1995, despite having Barry as a threat. Stupid lions ownership chased him off by not committing to winning. The Ford family sees its Lions as a business first. Before William Clay Ford bought the team, the Lions had won 3 NFL titles in the 1950's. Ford bought the team in 1962 and have one playoff win to show for it in all that time. Barry was under contract for 3 more years, and the Lions refused to trade him. Barry hung it up rather than sit through what we fans have. Smart guy, Barry.

At any rate, Barry is, was, and always will be the greatest player ever to play the running back position. Jim Brown was awesome, but he was a man playing among boys, at a time when the average defensive lineman was no bigger than he was. Put Brown up against today's 300 pound linemen and 250 pound linebackers and I seriously doubt his ability to gain over 5 yards a carry. Brown was the most dominating back ever, but only because of his era. Props to Brown. Emmit is great, and an all time great at that, but the cowboys also had a defense, and time of possession advantage, and usually the lead (more running plays called).
See, I have just never liked this type of analysis. You can only objectively compare a player to his era. Brown was a phenom in his ear working with the same variables as any other player in his era. No steriods, no HGH, no personal trainers, etc... He was a freak for his time and to compare him to a time where everyone else has improved physically just doesn't work IMO.

BTW, for my money it's either Brown or Payton. I loved watching Barry, but I'd rather take the guy who could do it on every play. Barry is no doubt one of the greatest, but Brown and Payton were better over all.

adamprez2003 said:
the one negative with sanders is how many plays he had that went for zero or negative yardage and how many drives were killed because of that. earl campbell, jim brown, hell even previous detroit superstar billy sims didnt come close to equaling his zero and negative ydg plays. in open space however or for pure creativity, sanders is probably the best

Wasnt that more a fault of the Oline though>? I mean if guys are getting into the backfield the Oline didnt do its job. Remember Detriot was terrible, terrible coaches (Fonts I think his name was?), mediocre at best Olines and Barry still had a good solid YPC despite those hits behind the line. He would have had more TDs if they didnt take him out on the goaline too.
Id go with Payton but Im not going to argue with anyone that thinks Sanders was the best ever, I wont argue with JBrown either just didnt see him in more than NFL Films highlights.

finfansince72 said:
Wasnt that more a fault of the Oline though>? I mean if guys are getting into the backfield the Oline didnt do its job. Remember Detriot was terrible, terrible coaches (Fonts I think his name was?), mediocre at best Olines and Barry still had a good solid YPC despite those hits behind the line. He would have had more TDs if they didnt take him out on the goaline too.
Id go with Payton but Im not going to argue with anyone that thinks Sanders was the best ever, I wont argue with JBrown either just didnt see him in more than NFL Films highlights.

Partially that and partially his style. He would dance behind the line when something wasnt there because it played to his strengths which was creating an opportunity for a run. When the defenses stayed disciplined they were able to contain Sanders much like Bush and Vick can be contained by a disciplined defense now. Where Sanders excelled at, like no other back I've seen, is when that discipline broke down he could exploit it for some serious yards.

The difference between him and Campbell is when a defense stuffed the line Campbell was still able to bulldoze his way into getting a 3 yd gain. If I was a coach I would prefer the type of back who will get me a 2nd and 7 almost every time with the occasional 6 yd or 10 yd run rather than leave me with 2nd and 10 a decent amount of time with the occasional 25 yd run. Not saying that's the criteria to determine who the better back is just that that's what I look for

dominizzo said:
Sure

G- Larry Allen
G- Nate Newton
C- Mark Stepnoski
T-Mark Tunei
T- Erik Williams

Emmitt was good, but his line was phenomonal. Absolutely dominating.

Barry was the most exciting to watch. When they show highlights of some of his moves and the cuts he made.....he leaves defenders falling down. :lol:

dominizzo said:
Sure

G- Larry Allen
G- Nate Newton
C- Mark Stepnoski
T-Mark Tunei
T- Erik Williams

In Smith's 1st 1,000 yd season in '91(he averaged 4.3 YPC and for his career he averaged 4.2) Williams and Allen were not there and they were the 2 best OL on Dallas when they wer all together. They had a great OL most of his time there but Emmit still gets credit for being great.

Numbers are misleading because as the season and years go on, they get slower and their averages go down.

BZ

Not saying OJ Simpson is the greatest ever but i'm always suprised by how little credit he seems to get for 2000 yards in a 14 game season (not living in america its harder to gauge how badly his off field ahem "stuff" tarnished his legacy)

nyjunc said:
In Smith's 1st 1,000 yd season in '91(he averaged 4.3 YPC and for his career he averaged 4.2) Williams and Allen were not there and they were the 2 best OL on Dallas when they wer all together. They had a great OL most of his time there but Emmit still gets credit for being great.
:yes: It's a shame how overlooked Smith is... especially for being such a recent player. His line was awesome, but he took absolute full advantage of it. In fact, Barry's highlight reel runs overshadow some of the things Emmitt did. He gets dinged for not being overpowering, or blinding fast, or having moves like Barry, but he had some much of everything... a lot like Walter Payton in how both runners aren't fully appreciated.

Could you imagine if Bo Jackson had:

A.) Not played baseball
B.) Not messed up his hip.

He was absolutely sick.

unifiedtheory said:
Best ALL AROUND runner in history, no one comes even close. Brown might have been a better runner, or Sander etc. but no one could do it all like Payton.

He had great hands and was probably the best blocker that ever played the position of running back.

And with all that he put up some pretty stellar numbers playing on a BAD Bears team for over half his career.

The running back debate is generational. People that are (41-60) will choose Jim Brown or O.J. Simpson, people in my age group (30-40) will choose Payton or Earl Campbell, people aged 16-30 will chose Sanders or Smith, people under the age of 16 will chose L.T.

L.T.? No doubt a great runner, but it's hard to put him in the same category as Barry Sanders.

Back
Top Bottom