Barton or JPG? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Barton or JPG?

GatorFin73

Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
In Mel Kiper's latest 1st round mock he has us taking Barton, the LT out of Duke, to presumably move to center for the MD. That's with JPG still on the board. I've heard nothing but love around here for JPG but admittedly have not spent time watching either of these guys.

Any opinions on this from the more knowledgeable draftniks? The LT to C move gives me a little pause if we consider taking him over JPG, I understand a true center similarly ranked.

JPJ is the better C while Barton carries the versatility to play anywhere on the OL for you.

There are some injury issues with JPJ that need looking into so his medical check at the Combine should shed some light on that.

I think I would prefer trading down a little and taking Barton to using #21 on JPJ. You need a good C but you don't need a great one, the position is not somewhere you want to put big Draft or Cap resources.

JPJ is the better C while Barton carries the versatility to play anywhere on the OL for you.

There are some injury issues with JPJ that need looking into so his medical check at the Combine should shed some light on that.

I think I would prefer trading down a little and taking Barton to using #21 on JPJ. You need a good C but you don't need a great one, the position is not somewhere you want to put big Draft or Cap resources.
Interesting, ya I guess a little premature before combine/medical reports are out but thought it was an curious choice in Kiper's mock. I too would really like a small trade down if at all possible, something in the mid to late 20's that gets us an extra third would be ideal this year.

Thanks for the feedback

Interesting, ya I guess a little premature before combine/medical reports are out but thought it was an curious choice in Kiper's mock. I too would really like a small trade down if at all possible, something in the mid to late 20's that gets us an extra third would be ideal this year.

Thanks for the feedback
If the Fins could move back 5-6 spots and pick up a 3rd that would be ideal for me.

They could still land a guy like Barton or Fautanu while getting a second Day 2 player.

If JPJ is gone at 21 which looks to be likely to happen then I would look to trade down. If we could still get Barton in the 25 to 29 range and we can pick up a 3rd round pick that would be great.

Fascinating question, because so much depends on if we bring back Hunt or Williams. Regardless, we need to draft 3 OL in this coming draft so after a trade down (picking up a 3rd) maybe I go Barton. I love JPJ but I think the Steelers might nab him at 20. If that happens, my OL draft would be - Barton, Yale OT in round 2/3, Howard OT in round 6/7.

Fascinating question, because so much depends on if we bring back Hunt or Williams. Regardless, we need to draft 3 OL in this coming draft so after a trade down (picking up a 3rd) maybe I go Barton. I love JPJ but I think the Steelers might nab him at 20. If that happens, my OL draft would be - Barton, Yale OT in round 2/3, Howard OT in round 6/7.
Agree with most of this although it might be hard to roster three rookies.
We'll only carry 9 linemen and drafting three would leave us pretty short on veteran backups.

Agree with most of this although it might be hard to roster three rookies.
We'll only carry 9 linemen and drafting three would leave us pretty short on veteran backups.
Good point, I keep grabbing two IOL and a OT in the mocks but you're right, carrying that many rookies at that position group would be unlikely. With trades being no given maybe one IOL and one OT is the best we can hope for given few picks and plenty of needs elsewhere. Or two IOL without the OT. The FO has probably not given up on Eich either and is planning on him taking a step similar to AJ last year (unlike the 99.9% of fan consensus on that never happening).

I would not be surprised by the Fins doubling up on OL but adding a 3rd would likely be a late Day 3/UDFA to stash on the PS.

JPJ was a stronger, better center this year than Barton was his freshman year. JPJ is bigger framed and more mobile. Barton has played LT the last 2 years, and, as others have noted, is very versatile, and should be available a bit later.

Agree. Taking Barton gives Miami depth & flexibility on the OL.

Wynn hopefully returns to be OLG.

Barton may have to replace Hunt (ORG) allowing Eichenberg to backup both guard spots.

Back
Top Bottom