Barton or JPG? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Barton or JPG?

Anybody thinking we'll draft more than one OL is going to be let down imo....I don’t see this team doing that even if both Williams and Hunt leave

*covers ears* lalala I can't hear you lol.

Just judging by recent events, I think you may be right sadly.

Hope not though. But we'll see.

*covers ears* lalala I can't hear you lol.

Just judging by recent events, I think you may be right sadly.

Hope not though. But we'll see.
I can see them bringing in a veteran and drafting one OL but that might be it.....not saying that's what I want.....just saying that's what I think they’ll do

Love the idea of trading down and still landing Barton. His versatility would give Miami a lot of options.

An extra third could turn out to be a potential starter. That might be the range to add a bigger back like Allen or Estime. Maybe a receiver like Rice or a tight end like Sinnott.

Last edited:
Anybody thinking we'll draft more than one OL is going to be let down imo....I don’t see this team doing that even if both Williams and Hunt leave
We will have to see if they add any cheap vet's in FA as well as who they lose to know how big the OL need will be.

There is also the chance to grab FA's closer to TC when vet's get cut and guys lower their contract demands.

Interesting, ya I guess a little premature before combine/medical reports are out but thought it was an curious choice in Kiper's mock. I too would really like a small trade down if at all possible, something in the mid to late 20's that gets us an extra third would be ideal this year.

Thanks for the feedback
I've done a bunch of mocks and the only time I get a decent haul of players is by trading down. We can move from 21 to 26 or 27 and pick up another pick in the 40's. Trade down again when it's our turn. This draft is deep.

Good point, I keep grabbing two IOL and a OT in the mocks but you're right, carrying that many rookies at that position group would be unlikely. With trades being no given maybe one IOL and one OT is the best we can hope for given few picks and plenty of needs elsewhere. Or two IOL without the OT. The FO has probably not given up on Eich either and is planning on him taking a step similar to AJ last year (unlike the 99.9% of fan consensus on that never happening).
I'd still pick three. Grier doesn't bat 100% on oline. Give him a chance to whiff on one. This draft is about being smart and trading down a couple of times. Build the trenches, make the oline a strength finally. Build from the middle out, get a Center, even if Williams is kept. He can always shift to Guard and play next to Armstead. That would make the left side rock solid. Jackson at RT. Too bad we're gonna lose Hunt but we can't resign everybody. Let a bunch of guys battle for the RG position. That would be a very good starting line imo.

JPJ has to be the pick if available for me.
Tua needs to feel comfortable inside the pocket.
Barton may be versatile but isn't JPJ a higher rated Center.
With Williams recovering from surgery we may get a 1 year deal done with him and he also when recovered can play left guard.

JPJ plays guard as well.

If Williams is signed on a 1 year deal, there is no reason JPJ can't be the pick.

I'm not advocating for this. Just saying JPJ has versatility if needed.

If JPJ is there at 21 I take him. Love that kid and the fact that he grew up a Dolphins fan from a family of Dolphins fans is nice! If not (damned Seahawks or Steelers might nab him), I trade down (pick up a 3rd +) and take Frazier or Van Pran. This is a rich OL draft and there are quality Centers/OG in most rounds.

I believe the best move is Fauantu if he is there.
I think that Fautanu is the safe choice. He's thought to be able to play OT (and has the long arms for it) but being shorter than ideal... many think that he fits more at Guard.

Normally... I'm against taking a pure Guard in the first, but the possibility of moving him to Tackle when Armstead leaves in 2025 means he is a now... and future bet. Now, he'll play Guard (at LG or as a replacement for Hunt), but eventually he may make an eventual move to the MUCH more important LT position.

This is not one of those shoot for the moon, boom/bust picks. It's a solid, unspectacular pick...

Boom/bust picks would be Mims or Guyton.

I think that Fautanu is the safe choice. He's thought to be able to play OT (and has the long arms for it) but being shorter than ideal... many think that he fits more at Guard.

Normally... I'm against taking a pure Guard in the first, but the possibility of moving him to Tackle when Armstead leaves in 2025 means he is a now... and future bet. Now, he'll play Guard (at LG or as a replacement for Hunt), but eventually he may make an eventual move to the MUCH more important LT position.

This is not one of those shoot for the moon, boom/bust picks. It's a solid, unspectacular pick...

Boom/bust picks would be Mims or Guyton.
Taking a guy who might play OG early does not worry me as much for this reason.

He would have a year(or however many games Armstead plays) playing inside before moving to LT.

I think Fautanu is an OT but he might be a better OG, certainly early.

I still prefer Mims as a pure OT but it is hard to tell where he is going to come off the board.I am relatively confident Fautanu will make it to 21.

Back
Top Bottom