Because it's getting boring around here... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Because it's getting boring around here...

ckparrothead

Premium Member
Reaction score
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2511047

I just have to wonder. I mean, I know Ashley Lelie's no star receiver. But, I'll be danged if he isn't a big deep threat.

Two years in a row now he averages the highest YPC in the NFL. One of those years was a pretty embattled year for the man. That doesn't just happen with deep speed. That happens with deep ball ability in general. The guy is tall, runs like a gazelle, leaps like a kangaroo, and can come down with the ball.

Kind of reminds you of a less talented version of a certain other guy whom people assume was responsible for most of our quarterback's success.

I mean think about it...Randy Moss doesn't run patterns all that well. That's why the "Randy Ratio" was a failure. That's also why Randy's struggled a bit in Oakland.

I'm not sayin "hey let's trade a first round pick for this guy." I'm not even sayin a 2nd, 3rd, or even 4th.

I'm just sayin maybe it's somethin we should pay attention to. I think we all know Marty Booker's not long for this offense...especially the perverted way we played him and Chambers last year where Booker became the deep threat and Chambers became the possession guy. I agree with Chambers being used on possession routes because he makes things happen, but using Booker vertically is a bit of an abnormality.

And hey, I like Derek Hagan as much as the next guy. But I know enough about draft picks that you don't put all your eggs in the basket of a 3rd round receiver to become an impact starter. Sometimes it works, a lot more times it doesn't.

I wouldn't put a lot into Lelie, because he may work out for ya, he may not...which would make it a good thing you've got a guy like Hagan behind him pushing him.

But for this playbook, for this QB, for this offense...you have to admit Lelie would fit like a glove opposite Chambers.

No takers? Oh well. He's playing out the final year of his rookie deal, making him a UFA next year. I think he'll be a guy we have to look at as a UFA.

well if we're rounding up trinkets and baubles to throw at denver, first in the basket is eddie moore! would like to have lelie, but his attitude and short contract are worrysome. however, should chambers go down for a few games he would provide us with a deep threat.

OK, I'll play CK.

I can agree with you Lelie, has a knack for coming down with the deep ball. However, he seems to get dropsie's and it sometimes appears that he thinks he can simply out run defenders.

He needs more discipline in his route running. What I mean is you can't fly through every route! He needs to learn the art.

Slow a route, stop one short, pull one deeper.

It appears he thinks he's athletic enough to beat guys, and that's good enough. Well it's not.

Now my question do we trade Booker straight up for Lelie? Or do we do Something different?

I have to agree with you, and I couldn't stop thinking about that as I watch his situation in Denver get worse and worse. There will come a point where they might be willing to trade him for a 5th or so. He is just not happy there, and doesn't warrant (in my mind) a high pick from anyone in the league.

Other than us CK, who else do you think might be interested in trading for a guy like this with his physical abilities? I think that a team like San Diego could also use someone with his prowess, even though they are more of a WC offense, they are pretty thin at receiver. I could also see the Eagles putting up a 3rd or 4th, honestly.

dodge said:
well if we're rounding up trinkets and baubles to throw at denver, first in the basket is eddie moore! would like to have lelie, but his attitude and short contract are worrysome. however, should chambers go down for a few games he would provide us with a deep threat.

You'd be lucky to get some orange cleats & a tee for Moore. They'd want draft picks, which I'm sure we can all agree we'd like to start having some of.

I've liked Lelie since college. As long as the fins don't give too much for him, it would be worth a try.

ckparrothead said:
New England is interested. I think Tampa too.

I would take him, especially to keep him away from the Patsies...

I like his speed but he does need work on his route running. He is still young and I also agree that he would fit like a glove in Miami!

I'm not a huge fan of his game, but I would take him as a #2 WR if we didn't give up too much. What concerns me about him is lapses in concentraion. He drops easy balls too often and also appears to hear the footsteps when theres coverage and loses concentration on the ball. I also think he doesn't use his phsyical ability as much as he should/ could. Still, you can't teach speed, and he clearly puts pressure on a defense and comes up with big plays. He's certainly more of a deep threat than Booker so he would be a better compliment if you plan on Chambers running possesion routes more often than not.

imo the biggest delema is the 1 yr left on his contract. you could give up a player/draft choice to only get lelie for a year, or you have to franchise him next year or agree to long term contract. the only way i see a trade being worth it would be to add at least another year to contract to see if he really would fit the bill. however i doubt lelie would go for prolonging his f.a. payday by a year unless you overpayed for that one year. maybe a contract for a million plus heavy on the incentives, but then you may have a player more interested in his on stats than helping team win.

Moss catches dang near everthing his way(or draws a penatly).

Lelie is Ledrop.

Back
Top Bottom