Benardrick McKinney restructure | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Benardrick McKinney restructure

Doubtful. I think you, and some others, either do not understand the situation with X, or are grasping at staws.

A few million in cap space is irrelevant.

Scenario 1, the Phins are taking a hard line stance against a new contract, so early in the current deal.

Scenario 2, I think it's fairly obvious that X not only wants top corner pay, he wants a subtantial part of the $ gauranteed for future years.
I’m just guessing that to be the highest paid corner on the team he needs 1 mill more per. I might be off on the numbers.. I’m just being hopeful that we can keep him I think that’s the best case for this season he can help us win

Doubtful. I think you, and some others, either do not understand the situation with X, or are grasping at staws.

A few million in cap space is irrelevant.

Scenario 1, the Phins are taking a hard line stance against a new contract, so early in the current deal.

Scenario 2, I think it's fairly obvious that X not only wants top corner pay, he wants a subtantial part of the $ gauranteed for future years.

I'm in the 'give a little' camp. If it takes $2mm to get it resolved, do it. (Since that hasn't happened, I suspect it's significantly more than $2mm.) AND/OR, as you say, he wants a LOT guaranteed.

I’m just guessing that to be the highest paid corner on the team he needs 1 mill more per. I might be off on the numbers.. I’m just being hopeful that we can keep him I think that’s the best case for this season he can help us win
I don't think it is a simple as a few million this year. If it were, that's easy enough to do. X has no gauranteed money going forward, and I don't think our FO is interested in multiyear, high dollar garantees.

Last edited:
Any news on what the actual restructure was? I don't think we had any G money in him. I wonder what Floco was willing to give.

I’m willing to bet he got more guaranteed money for less on the books this season
He was my surprise surprise cut because he didn't didn't any G money

I'm in the 'give a little' camp. If it takes $2mm to get it resolved, do it. (Since that hasn't happened, I suspect it's significantly more than $2mm.) AND/OR, as you say, he wants a LOT guaranteed.
My only concern is this.

Baker, Sanders, Mckinney all go on to have career years.

Based on giving a little extra to Howard.. why would every other player on the team not feel they could get a little bit more every season they play good?

Way to soon for just a little more.

If that's the case, Miami might as well just do 2 year contracts and do extensions based on that first year.

With all their 1 and 3 yr contracts that may be their goal actually lol

My only concern is this.

Baker, Sanders, Mckinney all go on to have career years.

Based on giving a little extra to Howard.. why would every other player on the team not feel they could get a little bit more every season they play good?

Way to soon for just a little more.

If that's the case, Miami might as well just do 2 year contracts and do extensions based on that first year.

With all their 1 and 3 yr contracts that may be their goal actually lol
Sanders is a kicker....enough said there
Mckinney just restructured...at the request of the team
Baker just signed a 3 year deal with an out after 2. So I expect renegotiating to start after this year regardless of his play

Nothing, IMO, suggest X and his agent will be content with “give a little!” Giving a little is more than reasonable and If that’s all it took then X would have shown up to camp.

No! No! This is get as much as you can no matter what. A striaght type of money grab. This is, I won’t be content, until I’m the highest paid CB on the league and top in the entire NFL on defense. If I have an even better season next year then I expect a pay rise. If i suck? Will you know how that goes..

Last edited:
people seem to confused restructure with pay cut all the time. Restructure means the player still get the same money but in a different way like maybe more guarantee or maybe they get a bit less this year to create room but get more the next year and so on. A pay cut is totally different so stop thinking that restructure is good for the team cause is not. That's how we got in cap hell in the past.

Nothing, IMO, suggest X and his agent will be content with “give a little!” Giving a little is more than reasonable and If that’s all it took then X would have shown up to camp.

No!No! This is get as much as you can no matter what type of grab. This is I won’t be content until I’m the highest paid CB on the league and top in the entire NFL on defense. If I ah e an even better season next year then I expect a pay rise.
correct.....how long before he starts asking for more money on a week to week basis. "I got two INT's today so now I want more"

people seem to confused restructure with pay cut all the time. Restructure means the player still get the same money but in a different way like maybe more guarantee or maybe they get a bit less this year to create room but get more the next year and so on. A pay cut is totally different so stop thinking that restructure is good for the team cause is not. That's how we got in cap hell in the past.
Without researching, I would assume the vast majority of restructures impact the total money of the contract as well, either more or less. I feel very few restructures simply move the same exact amount of money. Some do but I would say most don't.

Sanders is a kicker....enough said there
Mckinney just restructured...at the request of the team
Baker just signed a 3 year deal with an out after 2. So I expect renegotiating to start after this year regardless of his play

And that's logic could follow with Howard after a season as well.

Still it doesn't address the concern of every player deciding they can get more.

Sanders is a kicker.. ok bye. How many wins did he help us get last year?

Mckinney restructured by the teams request. Doesn't matter who requested it. He decides next year he wants more.

What about every player?

If we set the precedent that length of contract is irrelevant for a restructure, expect to renegotiate every contract almost every year.

Some could argue Sanders was almost as responsible for the Phil's success as the defense. If he doesn't keep hitting those 50 yards and isn't so reliable, we would never have been in the playoff hunt.

Like I said, we have alot of 1 and 3 year contracts. So that may be there goal.

But a 3 year contract and 4 or 5 should not be renegotiated on the same timeliness.

It makes contracts irrelevant

And that's logic could follow with Howard after a season as well.

Still it doesn't address the concern of every player deciding they can get more.

Sanders is a kicker.. ok bye. How many wins did he help us get last year?

Mckinney restructured by the teams request. Doesn't matter who requested it. He decides next year he wants more.

What about every player?

If we set the precedent that length of contract is irrelevant for a restructure, expect to renegotiate every contract almost every year.

Some could argue Sanders was almost as responsible for the Phil's success as the defense. If he doesn't keep hitting those 50 yards and isn't so reliable, we would never have been in the playoff hunt.

Like I said, we have alot of 1 and 3 year contracts. So that may be there goal.

But a 3 year contract and 4 or 5 should not be renegotiated on the same timeliness.

It makes contracts irrelevant
I don't agrue the slippery slope fallacy. That's all it is. It's not an argument. Holdouts have existed for decades. X did not just invent this situation. As much as everyone wants to freak out about it being only 1 year. There are hold out every year, for all types of reasons.

Back
Top Bottom