Bench Rickey | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bench Rickey

Originally posted by DolFan31
In the spirit of sarcasm..

I think we should give the gameball to Ray Lucas. ;)

In the spirit of speculation hey what if Jay did get injured toward the end of the season and Lucas had to come in and win the Superbowl ala Earl Morrall.

In any event. I hope that Jay doesn't get injured. He's a good QB and we have a good back up in Lucas.

Didn't think I would cause such a stir

First off great posts to the subject matter. Especially miamian's last one.

I love RW and think he is going to be the catalyst for our team getting to the superbowl and winning it. He is a superstar and brings that immediately to our team. We haven't had that since Dan. I agree with most that Jay does make mistakes. I get just as frustrated with him when he overthrows the ball or make bad passes for interceptions. But with a consistent running game he can be a better than average QB. He will never be Dan Marino and pass it up and down the field. He does have it in him to bring us back (Raider game 2001) and sometimes not (KC this year). But all in all he does give us a shot to win most games.

The mistake in the KC game was the coaching staff and it showed the next week when kc played the jets. We should have let our front 4 defend the run and double and triple team Tony. The jets and patriots both let priest run and the pats won and the jets barely lost. If we let priest get his yards then that creates a ball control and lower scoring game. And we have rickey to control the ball and it was obvious he could have had at least 150 yards that day. But we decided to stop the run and create a shootout. Bottom line is we needed a better game plan. We destroyed the jets and pats and they both played close games with KC. I will forget the KC game now. It was just that everytime people want to bash Jay it is about the KC game, like that is the only game we have played this year. What about 4 big wins. 2 against afc east rivals.

And don't even think about saying that fiedler has had more poor games than just KC. I realize that. I do think however that this is a totally different team than in the past.

Go miami beat Denver

Good post Expo you happen to be right about his heart. He plays hurt, he never uses injuries as excuses and his play in the New England game was nearly flawless. That run for a T.D. was killer and as I've always said ( see my earlier posts) Norv will bring out the best in Jay, he is already doing it. What are all the Jay bashers going to say when he's selected to this years Pro Bowl? By the way he's also going to lead the Dolphins to a Super Bowl victory this year. I'll bet that even after he accomplishes all this their will still be a group of raving lunatics that can't enjoyy their lives unless their putting Fiedler down.

Originally posted by BSQX4
Good post Expo you happen to be right about his heart. He plays hurt, he never uses injuries as excuses and his play in the New England game was nearly flawless. That run for a T.D. was killer and as I've always said ( see my earlier posts) Norv will bring out the best in Jay, he is already doing it. What are all the Jay bashers going to say when he's selected to this years Pro Bowl? By the way he's also going to lead the Dolphins to a Super Bowl victory this year. I'll bet that even after he accomplishes all this their will still be a group of raving lunatics that can't enjoyy their lives unless their putting Fiedler down.

You guys say anyone that dosen't feel Jay is a GREAT QB is a raving lunatic but honestly, you guys are the ones that start calling people stupid and ignorant for expressing their opinion.
I don't enjoy putting him down. I'm just enjoy expressing my opinion like you do. I'm not a Fiedler fan because of his QB skills. I will be a Fiedler fan as long as he's a Dolphin though, because I want this team to win. For them to win he has to do good. Yes, he will be a big part of the team winning the super bowl if we do. I believe that with the ability for him to lean on our D and our superstar RB Ricky he can win a SB and God knows I hope he does. Dilfer did it with Balt and I do think Jay is better than Dilweed so he can too.
Pro Bowl though.......
I've always thought a Pro Bowl player is a player that can carry a team on it's shoulders and win it on his own. Pure talent regardless of surroundings.

I just don't see that.
However, looking at another side of the argument, If Kordell made it last year then why the heck should'nt Jay????

Hey if he makes it Fantastic!

Just don't tear into the new guy because he has a different opinion.

Originally posted by Fiedler for MVP

all the way to 1499 1/2 yds;)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Exactly!

Do you guys think the coaching staff has some plan to make sure he doesn't reach that level?

Will they pull him a little early in certain games to make sure he dosen't?

I would have to say that if I was a coach in this situation I would do the best I could to make sure he comes up just a little short.
Strategically thinking towards the future, as long as we didn't endanger any games by pulling Ricky, why give up another 1st round pick if we didn't have to.

Would you if you were a coach?

Originally posted by iceblizzard69
Fiedler is a pretty good QB

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Trekbiz, I respect your right to feel any way that you want. You are entitled to evaluate Fiedler any way you choose to. We're not very different in how we feel by the way, Fiedler has pissed me off lots of times and I would not at this stage call him a GREAT Q.B. I'm am first and foremost a lifelong Miami Dolphin Football fan and as such I will pull for our starting Q.B.What I was saying in my post was that even if Jay made the Pro Bowl and led us to a Super Bowl victory there would still be people out there ripping him and we both know that's true. As of now he hasn't earned everybody's respect and the jury is still out on him but if he takes us to the promised land lets all throw our support behind him and give the guy a break. I know he's not Marino and that's a tough standard to be judged by and he has to live under the shadow of a legend but as Dolphin fans we're 4-1 ,and in first place. Can we at least cut him some slack for now and see how the thing plays out? All we are saying is give Jay a chance! I think that's how John Lennon would have said it.

Re: Didn't think I would cause such a stir

Originally posted by d0lfan13
First off great posts to the subject matter. Especially miamian's last one.

I love RW and think he is going to be the catalyst for our team getting to the superbowl and winning it. He is a superstar and brings that immediately to our team. We haven't had that since Dan. I agree with most that Jay does make mistakes. I get just as frustrated with him when he overthrows the ball or make bad passes for interceptions. But with a consistent running game he can be a better than average QB. He will never be Dan Marino and pass it up and down the field. He does have it in him to bring us back (Raider game 2001) and sometimes not (KC this year). But all in all he does give us a shot to win most games.

The mistake in the KC game was the coaching staff and it showed the next week when kc played the jets. We should have let our front 4 defend the run and double and triple team Tony. The jets and patriots both let priest run and the pats won and the jets barely lost. If we let priest get his yards then that creates a ball control and lower scoring game. And we have rickey to control the ball and it was obvious he could have had at least 150 yards that day. But we decided to stop the run and create a shootout. Bottom line is we needed a better game plan. We destroyed the jets and pats and they both played close games with KC. I will forget the KC game now. It was just that everytime people want to bash Jay it is about the KC game, like that is the only game we have played this year. What about 4 big wins. 2 against afc east rivals.

And don't even think about saying that fiedler has had more poor games than just KC. I realize that. I do think however that this is a totally different team than in the past.

Go miami beat Denver
Thanks 13 and you're right as well. The strategy was all wrong in KC, so it's not a good example to gauge the team, emphasis on team. Let's forget about it and move on.

we haven't played week 6 yet and you are preparing for Fiedlers performance in the superbowl. You haven't even smelled the Superbowl in years, and nothing will be changing anytime soon. Fiedler is a perfect fit in Miami, plays good enough to weed out the pretenders, and lays down when faced with the contenders.

Dolfan13 says "It was just that everytime people want to bash Jay it is about the KC game, like that is the only game we have played this year. What about 4 big wins. 2 against afc east rivals."

4 big wins? Are you kidding me!? Wins against the 1-3 Lions and 1-4 Jets (regardless of the jinx) who are arguably two of the five worst teams in the league are hardly "big wins".

BSQX4 asks "What are all the Jay bashers going to say when he's selected to this years Pro Bowl? "

I'm not even a Fiedler basher, but I find this too easy: even Kordell Stewart can make the ProBowl! It doesn't change the fact that HE sucks.

I did however enjoy Fiedlers performance, either last year or the year before, when he rushed for a TD to beat the Faiders with little or no time left on the clock. That was Priceless, and the responses from Faiders fans were even better than that. Almost as good as the tuck ruling.

Originally posted by Trekbiz

Do you guys think the coaching staff has some plan to make sure he doesn't reach that level?

Will they pull him a little early in certain games to make sure he dosen't?

I would have to say that if I was a coach in this situation I would do the best I could to make sure he comes up just a little short.
Strategically thinking towards the future, as long as we didn't endanger any games by pulling Ricky, why give up another 1st round pick if we didn't have to.

Would you if you were a coach?

I think it depends on how your season goes. If you can clinch your division, home field, etc before he hits 1,500......he won't get it. Other than that.....if you have a big lead late in the game i think they'll take him out. But they will not waste the season just to keep him from getting 1,500yrds.

I for one am hoping for a close division race......something where you have to play Ricky. If that's the case and he stays healthy, he will reach 1,500 easily. But if he only gets 1,200.......I won't that upset......either way we have a nice looking draft.....with 5 picks in the first 3 rounds.

Saint Greg - you will be happy to know that Wanne considers it saving RW for later in the season to put in Edwards on 3rd down. RW will be getting the ball as often as he did he has thus far or even more in 2002 - our schedule is too tough for it to be any other way.

So Beantown Bronko, are you saying that making the Pro Bowl is meaningless? This is supposed to be a forum for the elite players in the league. Having said that your point on Kordell is well taken and IMO he does suck. What does inclusion to the Pro Bowl mean, or does it not carry the distinction it once did? One thought is at the time Kordell made the Pro Bowl he was playing at a very high level. But he sucks now. Brian Griese made the Pro Bowl, what do you say about that? Alot of guys that go to the Pro Bowl end up in the Hall Of Fame. Are their players in the Hall of Fame that suck? I don't think so.

Back
Top Bottom