Better or Worse (State of the franchise post draft) | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Better or Worse (State of the franchise post draft)

We're better almost everywhere.

White > Bridgewater
Achane addition helps RBs a ton
TE is meh but we don't throw to them anyways
Dline is better with Ogbah returning
David Long at LB is gonna make this fanbase fall in love with him
Secondary is better w Elliot and Ramsey
Return game is better w Berrios
Wrs are better with Anderson, who I think is the steal of FA.

Kicker worries me.
Don't even know who the Punter is bc who cares its a punter.
and of course I loath our offensive line

With the draft in the rearview mirror and free agency nearing an end, how does Miami compare with last year? Here are my thoughts.

Coaching (better)
Bringing in Fangio might be the best move of the offseason. Specifically, I think we'll see the Dolphins have a better plan against mobile quarterbacks and perform more consistently in crucial third down situations (get off the field). McDaniel should also be better in his second year in terms of clock management, when to be bold and when to be conservative, all the nitty, gritty details of coaching. I would also like to see him get on the officials more if the late season holding issues on Hill and Waddle continue. (Man, do I miss Shula in that regard).

Quarterback (slighly better)
It's a fair expectation that Tua and Thompson will be slightly better in year two of the system. White should be more durable than Bridgewater. Hopefully, we won't find out.

Offensive Line (same)
Butch Barry is yet another new offensive line coach in what has been a revolving door at that coaching position. He wasn't exactly perceived well in Denver, but was with McDaniel in San Francisco. Perhaps he can unlock something in Eichenberg and/or Jackson. Feeney is the only new addition on the offensive line (so far), with standouts Armstead, Williams and Hunt returning. As it stands, this is the biggest question mark for Miami, but perhaps there's more depth with Feeney. Hayes, a 7th rounder, has a chance to be the swing tackle or even challenge Eichenberg at guard. June 1 addition?

Running Back (better)
Surprisingly, Miami brought back the entire running back room. Then, they added Achane in the 3rd round. Cook rumors still persist, but I'm not sure contract-wise that works for the Dolphins. It will be interesting to see how McDaniel incorporates Achane in the lineup. He may be the best receiver among the running backs.

Wide Receivers (better)
This may be the best wide receiver room in the NFL. The Dolphins added Berrios and Anderson to go along with the dynamic duo of Hill and Waddle. Wilson, Ezukanma, and Cracraft figure to compete for one or two spots. Berrios could be a huge upgrade in the slot. No guarantees with Anderson, but potentially that could be a big addition.

Tight End (worse)
Maybe questionable should be used instead of worse. But, like him or not, Gesicki did have some good years for Miami. It was obvious he wasn't a fit in this system, but what do the Dolphins have? Smythe is probably TE1 and Saubert could help as a blocker. The wildcards are Higgins, drafted in the 6th, and Connor, an undrafted free agent in 2022. Both are converted wide receivers. McDaniel thought enough of Connor's potential to keep him on the roster and not expose him on the practice squad. I would imagine those two are battling for one spot. June 1 addition?

Defensive Line (same)
A healthy Ogbah should make a difference. Wilkins and Seiler in the middle is a significant strength. Not a lot of depth besides Davis, Twyman. This may be a spot where an UDFA could make the team.

Linebacker (better)
If he can stay on the field, Long could be one of the key additions for Miami this season. Having Chubb for an entire season, and reuniting with Fangio, should help as well. Phillips is a budding superstar and Baker could do better under Fangio. Tindall could emerge as well.

Secondary (better)
PFF had the Dolphins secondary ranked second to Green Bay entering the 2022 season. The entire unit was decimated by injuries and Byron Jones didn't play a single snap. On a positive note, Kohou was a huge bright spot for Miami as the best UDFA for the team last year. The addition of Ramsey should be huge. Cam Smith was added in the 2nd round and Elliott could have an impact at safety. This should be a huge strength and one of the best units in the NFL.

Special Teams (better)
Berrios and Achance move the needle significantly for the return game.
Tight end room is better because Gesicki was never a tight end in any shape or form

Addition by subtraction imo

As mentioned above, I agree with almost everything in the OP.

Im concerned about the Oline though. Both the players and coach. Hopefully McDaniel can keep the coach in check.

Oline is going to hinge on how healthy they can stay. If we play musical chair every week, like last year, it is going to be a long season.

With the draft in the rearview mirror and free agency nearing an end, how does Miami compare with last year? Here are my thoughts.

Coaching (better)
Bringing in Fangio might be the best move of the offseason. Specifically, I think we'll see the Dolphins have a better plan against mobile quarterbacks and perform more consistently in crucial third down situations (get off the field). McDaniel should also be better in his second year in terms of clock management, when to be bold and when to be conservative, all the nitty, gritty details of coaching. I would also like to see him get on the officials more if the late season holding issues on Hill and Waddle continue. (Man, do I miss Shula in that regard).

Quarterback (slighly better)
It's a fair expectation that Tua and Thompson will be slightly better in year two of the system. White should be more durable than Bridgewater. Hopefully, we won't find out.

Offensive Line (same)
Butch Barry is yet another new offensive line coach in what has been a revolving door at that coaching position. He wasn't exactly perceived well in Denver, but was with McDaniel in San Francisco. Perhaps he can unlock something in Eichenberg and/or Jackson. Feeney is the only new addition on the offensive line (so far), with standouts Armstead, Williams and Hunt returning. As it stands, this is the biggest question mark for Miami, but perhaps there's more depth with Feeney. Hayes, a 7th rounder, has a chance to be the swing tackle or even challenge Eichenberg at guard. June 1 addition?

Running Back (better)
Surprisingly, Miami brought back the entire running back room. Then, they added Achane in the 3rd round. Cook rumors still persist, but I'm not sure contract-wise that works for the Dolphins. It will be interesting to see how McDaniel incorporates Achane in the lineup. He may be the best receiver among the running backs.

Wide Receivers (better)
This may be the best wide receiver room in the NFL. The Dolphins added Berrios and Anderson to go along with the dynamic duo of Hill and Waddle. Wilson, Ezukanma, and Cracraft figure to compete for one or two spots. Berrios could be a huge upgrade in the slot. No guarantees with Anderson, but potentially that could be a big addition.

Tight End (worse)
Maybe questionable should be used instead of worse. But, like him or not, Gesicki did have some good years for Miami. It was obvious he wasn't a fit in this system, but what do the Dolphins have? Smythe is probably TE1 and Saubert could help as a blocker. The wildcards are Higgins, drafted in the 6th, and Connor, an undrafted free agent in 2022. Both are converted wide receivers. McDaniel thought enough of Connor's potential to keep him on the roster and not expose him on the practice squad. I would imagine those two are battling for one spot. June 1 addition?

Defensive Line (same)
A healthy Ogbah should make a difference. Wilkins and Seiler in the middle is a significant strength. Not a lot of depth besides Davis, Twyman. This may be a spot where an UDFA could make the team.

Linebacker (better)
If he can stay on the field, Long could be one of the key additions for Miami this season. Having Chubb for an entire season, and reuniting with Fangio, should help as well. Phillips is a budding superstar and Baker could do better under Fangio. Tindall could emerge as well.

Secondary (better)
PFF had the Dolphins secondary ranked second to Green Bay entering the 2022 season. The entire unit was decimated by injuries and Byron Jones didn't play a single snap. On a positive note, Kohou was a huge bright spot for Miami as the best UDFA for the team last year. The addition of Ramsey should be huge. Cam Smith was added in the 2nd round and Elliott could have an impact at safety. This should be a huge strength and one of the best units in the NFL.

Special Teams (better)
Berrios and Achance move the needle significantly for the return game.

I think our OL will be getting better in terms of depth with all those UDFA's we brought on board. I think a few of them may end up on our team.

Other than that, I think your analysis is right!

I don't know how likely it is that Hayes will contribute as a rookie, but he has the makings of a solid swing tackle at the very least.
Based on what? I hope he works out too, but thus far, everying out there says, his arms are to short and his weight is light for tackle and that he will likely kick inside to guard.

The oline is worse. We have less depth at the moment. We might get lucky and get some depth after June 1st but as of today we're worse on the oline.
We don’t have less depth. Adding a starting RT with AJ, a backup center with Feeney and one of our draft picks at Tackle, brought back all other starters, just missing a backup or two. Don’t like the line that’s fine but if anything they’re stronger this year. Particularly looking forward to run game blocking improvement in year two of this system.

Good stuff! The state of the OL right now and the Hope per the front office is SCARY!

We’re an injury or 2 from having that crazy OL setup from last season.
For the playoff game, we ran w a guy who hadn’t played a snap all season and who no one had ever heard. The whole thing was tragic

For the playoff game, we ran w a guy who hadn’t played a snap all season and who no one had ever heard. The whole thing was tragic
Yet shockingly we lost by 3 points. The OL isn't as bad as people portray it to be. It requires improvement but people chicken littling the **** is rather annoying.

Based on what? I hope he works out too, but thus far, everying out there says, his arms are to short and his weight is light for tackle and that he will likely kick inside to guard.
Guard might well be his future as right now he is a better run blocker than a pass blocker, but in most of these OT to OG conversions they will likely try him at OT first.

I hope i was not overrating him by saying he could be a swing tackle in time, I certainly was not trying to hype him up.

Guard might well be his future as right now he is a better run blocker than a pass blocker, but in most of these OT to OG conversions they will likely try him at OT first.

I hope i was not overrating him by saying he could be a swing tackle in time, I certainly was not trying to hype him up.
Hey man, we all hope it works out! I hope he becomes a dominant guard or tackle that replaces one of the two remaining scrubs we have on our oline, but I wouldn’t bet my life on it, but then again one can always dream!

Back
Top Bottom