Better or Worse (State of the franchise post draft) | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Better or Worse (State of the franchise post draft)

The game is won in the trenches and I'm pretty disappointed at our lack of getting help on both sides. Love the Ramsey trade but we desperately need help on both lines. That's where winning and losing is determined, especially for this team.
Agree. I think a lot of us expected an offensive lineman earlier than round seven.

I will add, though, that development has been missing. Miami has given up too early on quite a few offensive linemen who went on to success elsewhere.

So, what does that mean? Maybe Jackson and Eichenberg can develop with better coaching. Maybe Hunt can take his game from pretty good to great.

As a Dolphins fan that seems like too much to ask, doesn't it?

I do hope Grier brings in a veteran offensive lineman after June 1.

With the draft in the rearview mirror and free agency nearing an end, how does Miami compare with last year? Here are my thoughts.

Coaching (better)
Bringing in Fangio might be the best move of the offseason. Specifically, I think we'll see the Dolphins have a better plan against mobile quarterbacks and perform more consistently in crucial third down situations (get off the field). McDaniel should also be better in his second year in terms of clock management, when to be bold and when to be conservative, all the nitty, gritty details of coaching. I would also like to see him get on the officials more if the late season holding issues on Hill and Waddle continue. (Man, do I miss Shula in that regard).

Quarterback (slighly better)
It's a fair expectation that Tua and Thompson will be slightly better in year two of the system. White should be more durable than Bridgewater. Hopefully, we won't find out.

Offensive Line (same)
Butch Barry is yet another new offensive line coach in what has been a revolving door at that coaching position. He wasn't exactly perceived well in Denver, but was with McDaniel in San Francisco. Perhaps he can unlock something in Eichenberg and/or Jackson. Feeney is the only new addition on the offensive line (so far), with standouts Armstead, Williams and Hunt returning. As it stands, this is the biggest question mark for Miami, but perhaps there's more depth with Feeney. Hayes, a 7th rounder, has a chance to be the swing tackle or even challenge Eichenberg at guard. June 1 addition?

Running Back (better)
Surprisingly, Miami brought back the entire running back room. Then, they added Achane in the 3rd round. Cook rumors still persist, but I'm not sure contract-wise that works for the Dolphins. It will be interesting to see how McDaniel incorporates Achane in the lineup. He may be the best receiver among the running backs.

Wide Receivers (better)
This may be the best wide receiver room in the NFL. The Dolphins added Berrios and Anderson to go along with the dynamic duo of Hill and Waddle. Wilson, Ezukanma, and Cracraft figure to compete for one or two spots. Berrios could be a huge upgrade in the slot. No guarantees with Anderson, but potentially that could be a big addition.

Tight End (worse)
Maybe questionable should be used instead of worse. But, like him or not, Gesicki did have some good years for Miami. It was obvious he wasn't a fit in this system, but what do the Dolphins have? Smythe is probably TE1 and Saubert could help as a blocker. The wildcards are Higgins, drafted in the 6th, and Connor, an undrafted free agent in 2022. Both are converted wide receivers. McDaniel thought enough of Connor's potential to keep him on the roster and not expose him on the practice squad. I would imagine those two are battling for one spot. June 1 addition?

Defensive Line (same)
A healthy Ogbah should make a difference. Wilkins and Seiler in the middle is a significant strength. Not a lot of depth besides Davis, Twyman. This may be a spot where an UDFA could make the team.

Linebacker (better)
If he can stay on the field, Long could be one of the key additions for Miami this season. Having Chubb for an entire season, and reuniting with Fangio, should help as well. Phillips is a budding superstar and Baker could do better under Fangio. Tindall could emerge as well.

Secondary (better)
PFF had the Dolphins secondary ranked second to Green Bay entering the 2022 season. The entire unit was decimated by injuries and Byron Jones didn't play a single snap. On a positive note, Kohou was a huge bright spot for Miami as the best UDFA for the team last year. The addition of Ramsey should be huge. Cam Smith was added in the 2nd round and Elliott could have an impact at safety. This should be a huge strength and one of the best units in the NFL.

Special Teams (better)
Berrios and Achance move the needle significantly for the return game.
Gesicki gone doesn’t make the room worse at all......other than that I'd agree

Gesicki gone doesn’t make the room worse at all......other than that I'd agree
I agree in the sense that we would likely force the ball to the TE having one like him. He was just so bad on normal, short yardage routes. If we have JAGs at TE who can block (for now), I think that's better than having one who is a receiving TE who can't block, awkwardly drop passes.

Other than the starting QB please name a more important position to the MD than backup QB? I think not. View attachment 142604
I agree on importance given Tua has yet to not get injured in a season. It’s just that in getting Mike White I’m not sure we helped ourselves any more than what ST provides. It’s too bad we didn’t have the money to land someone more accomplished but that hasn’t worked for us of late either. Bring back Matt Moore!

I think 3 QBs will be the standard going forward, and not just for us. Changes to the concussion protocol and spotters make it far too risky to only carry 2 QBs.
True. The “spotters” who supposedly existed since the advent of the NFL - but only showed up after Tua got pile driven on national TV

I agree on importance given Tua has yet to not get injured in a season. It’s just that in getting Mike White I’m not sure we helped ourselves any more than what ST provides. It’s too bad we didn’t have the money to land someone more accomplished but that hasn’t worked for us of late either. Bring back Matt Moore!
I’ll take Fitz! My point is I have zero confidence in Skylar and don’t think he’s the guy. Mike White isn’t that much better but he played well as the backup. Skylar was awful.

I think 3 QBs will be the standard going forward, and not just for us. Changes to the concussion protocol and spotters make it far too risky to only carry 2 QBs.
Teams just aren’t using up a roster spot to park another QB. We did last year because T2G was always hurt, but I don’t think we will this year.

The ‘emergency 3rd QB rule’ was abolished in 2011 but recently discussed to bring back based on SF game from last season. A final determination is pending.

The 3rd QB (ex. Thompson?) could technically be pulled from Inactive or Practice Squad and not count against game day roster. They can only be used if 1st and 2nd stringers are ruled it due to injury.

The ‘emergency 3rd QB rule’ was abolished in 2011 but recently discussed to bring back based on SF game from last season. A final determination is pending.

The 3rd QB (ex. Thompson?) could technically be pulled from Inactive or Practice Squad and not count against game day roster. They can only be used if 1st and 2nd stringers are ruled it due to injury.
They should do like hockey does w goalies. You have an emergency goalie in the crowd as a spectator. How awesome would that be for NFL QB 😂

I appreciate your rosy outlook but “flashes” don’t get you on a roster, especially backing up an oft injured starting QB. If we haven’t learned anything, we’ve learned over the last 3-4 years how critical the backup is to this team’s success. Why was Mike White signed and given a two year deal for 8M? Miami isn’t carrying three QBs on the active roster again. Sorry for all the QB1 Skylar fanboys out there but he’s not making this roster.
Contraire…that’s exactly what got 7th round pick Skyler Thompson on the roster….McDaniel said as much…

I also thought the Mike White signing was odd. Maybe Grier sees him as more durable? He's often described as gutsy so potentially Miami fans will like him.

Thompson exceeded expectations as a 7th round rookie, but I think it's possible the Dolphins keep two quarterbacks. Maybe with one on the PS.

That sounds like an Adam Sandler movie..
The Emergency Goalie!
This was so great when it happened. He was probably a few beers and dogs in when he was called down from the stands 😂

How funny would it be if this concept was used for QBs?

Agree. I think a lot of us expected an offensive lineman earlier than round seven.

I will add, though, that development has been missing. Miami has given up too early on quite a few offensive linemen who went on to success elsewhere.

So, what does that mean? Maybe Jackson and Eichenberg can develop with better coaching. Maybe Hunt can take his game from pretty good to great.

As a Dolphins fan that seems like too much to ask, doesn't it?

I do hope Grier brings in a veteran offensive lineman after June 1.
I agree but has the development not been good or has it just been poor evaluation? Tunsil was a no-brainer at 13 but Jackson was above his weight class. We traded up for Eichenburg, who has been nothing short of terrible. Just curious as to your thoughts on that.

I
With the draft in the rearview mirror and free agency nearing an end, how does Miami compare with last year? Here are my thoughts.

Coaching (better)
Bringing in Fangio might be the best move of the offseason. Specifically, I think we'll see the Dolphins have a better plan against mobile quarterbacks and perform more consistently in crucial third down situations (get off the field). McDaniel should also be better in his second year in terms of clock management, when to be bold and when to be conservative, all the nitty, gritty details of coaching. I would also like to see him get on the officials more if the late season holding issues on Hill and Waddle continue. (Man, do I miss Shula in that regard).

Quarterback (slighly better)
It's a fair expectation that Tua and Thompson will be slightly better in year two of the system. White should be more durable than Bridgewater. Hopefully, we won't find out.

Offensive Line (same)
Butch Barry is yet another new offensive line coach in what has been a revolving door at that coaching position. He wasn't exactly perceived well in Denver, but was with McDaniel in San Francisco. Perhaps he can unlock something in Eichenberg and/or Jackson. Feeney is the only new addition on the offensive line (so far), with standouts Armstead, Williams and Hunt returning. As it stands, this is the biggest question mark for Miami, but perhaps there's more depth with Feeney. Hayes, a 7th rounder, has a chance to be the swing tackle or even challenge Eichenberg at guard. June 1 addition?

Running Back (better)
Surprisingly, Miami brought back the entire running back room. Then, they added Achane in the 3rd round. Cook rumors still persist, but I'm not sure contract-wise that works for the Dolphins. It will be interesting to see how McDaniel incorporates Achane in the lineup. He may be the best receiver among the running backs.

Wide Receivers (better)
This may be the best wide receiver room in the NFL. The Dolphins added Berrios and Anderson to go along with the dynamic duo of Hill and Waddle. Wilson, Ezukanma, and Cracraft figure to compete for one or two spots. Berrios could be a huge upgrade in the slot. No guarantees with Anderson, but potentially that could be a big addition.

Tight End (worse)
Maybe questionable should be used instead of worse. But, like him or not, Gesicki did have some good years for Miami. It was obvious he wasn't a fit in this system, but what do the Dolphins have? Smythe is probably TE1 and Saubert could help as a blocker. The wildcards are Higgins, drafted in the 6th, and Connor, an undrafted free agent in 2022. Both are converted wide receivers. McDaniel thought enough of Connor's potential to keep him on the roster and not expose him on the practice squad. I would imagine those two are battling for one spot. June 1 addition?

Defensive Line (same)
A healthy Ogbah should make a difference. Wilkins and Seiler in the middle is a significant strength. Not a lot of depth besides Davis, Twyman. This may be a spot where an UDFA could make the team.

Linebacker (better)
If he can stay on the field, Long could be one of the key additions for Miami this season. Having Chubb for an entire season, and reuniting with Fangio, should help as well. Phillips is a budding superstar and Baker could do better under Fangio. Tindall could emerge as well.

Secondary (better)
PFF had the Dolphins secondary ranked second to Green Bay entering the 2022 season. The entire unit was decimated by injuries and Byron Jones didn't play a single snap. On a positive note, Kohou was a huge bright spot for Miami as the best UDFA for the team last year. The addition of Ramsey should be huge. Cam Smith was added in the 2nd round and Elliott could have an impact at safety. This should be a huge strength and one of the best units in the NFL.

Special Teams (better)
Berrios and Achance move the needle significantly for the return game.
Agree bit dline should be better

Back
Top Bottom