Biggest disappointment in Dolphins history? | Page 16 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Biggest disappointment in Dolphins history?

So my memory of the Randy moss thing was that he was already out of the top 10 by the time we traded our pick to the packers. Like the trade happened with Green Bay at the time of our pick and he was available as Green Bay wanted to see if vonnie Holiday was going to be there so maybe that trade happened two pics or so before our pick which was 19th at the time and Moss was available. I know this because I was mad when we traded down and mad even further when we did t draft Moss, because the Vikings drafted him at 21 as I recall. That for me was a hugely disappointing moment. As for Saban, I understand ur point but at the time can you honestly say that in that moment you weren’t disappointed?
Having said that your points about Sabans shortcomings in the NFL are 100% correct. He cost us both Brees and Aaron Rodgers, so yeah part of me says good riddance. But at the time I remember being crushed.
ooof, our memories are not even close on this one...I seem to recall JJ making that trade down even before the draft started!
I'm going to have to look that up.

So my memory of the Randy moss thing was that he was already out of the top 10 by the time we traded our pick to the packers. Like the trade happened with Green Bay at the time of our pick and he was available as Green Bay wanted to see if vonnie Holiday was going to be there so maybe that trade happened two pics or so before our pick which was 19th at the time and Moss was available. I know this because I was mad when we traded down and mad even further when we did t draft Moss, because the Vikings drafted him at 21 as I recall. That for me was a hugely disappointing moment. As for Saban, I understand ur point but at the time can you honestly say that in that moment you weren’t disappointed?
Having said that your points about Sabans shortcomings in the NFL are 100% correct. He cost us both Brees and Aaron Rodgers, so yeah part of me says good riddance. But at the time I remember being crushed.

OK, scroll down on this link...it does look like Miami traded that pick way early.

Though Dan's loss in the SB is extremely high as far as disappointments, the loss to the Redskins has to be my #1 because we should have, and came so close to winning that game.

Though Dan's loss in the SB is extremely high as far as disappointments, the loss to the Redskins has to be my #1 because we should have, and came so close to winning that game.
Theismann knocking down his own INT out of Bokampers's hands. Kim scores there and the game is probably over. Woodley failing to complete a single pass in the second half is still head scratching. 0 for 7 (4 of 14 for the game). That was Arnsparger's last game as DC his second go around as he then left for LSU. Then it was the Chuck Studley and Tom Olivadotti days as DC's. Not such good times.

OK, scroll down on this link...it does look like Miami traded that pick way early.
Huh. It was definitely made on draft day, it Was made April 18th which was draft day. I thought it was a couple of picks before we made our pick but I could be mistaken. As I recall we drafted 19th, and on the 17th pick the packers traded for our 19th, and Randy Moss was still on the board, but I could totally be wrong. In any case, I remember a sense of bitter disappointment when I saw the Vikings select him at like 21, but it was an awful long time ago. I thought there was a good chance Moss would fall because of his character concerns that fight in the bowling alley and all that, but there it is.

Huh. It was definitely made on draft day, it Was made April 18th which was draft day. I thought it was a couple of picks before we made our pick but I could be mistaken. As I recall we drafted 19th, and on the 17th pick the packers traded for our 19th, and Randy Moss was still on the board, but I could totally be wrong. In any case, I remember a sense of bitter disappointment when I saw the Vikings select him at like 21, but it was an awful long time ago. I thought there was a good chance Moss would fall because of his character concerns that fight in the bowling alley and all that, but there it is.
Yeah, I wish someone else would chime in on this. I swear he traded down before the draft even started.
I remember espn showing JJ on some cam and JJ rubbing his hands together, big smile on his face, and they announced the trade.
Then, afterwards, JJ justified the trade saying no way they expected Randy to slide so far; then after that he tried to justify it again by saying we'd drafted Larry Shannon.

Yeah, I wish someone else would chime in on this. I swear he traded down before the draft even started.
I remember espn showing JJ on some cam and JJ rubbing his hands together, big smile on his face, and they announced the trade.
Then, afterwards, JJ justified the trade saying no way they expected Randy to slide so far; then after that he tried to justify it again by saying we'd drafted Larry Shannon.
See the thing is the Packers traded the pick and traded up with us because they were targeting Vonnie Holiday who was falling and I think they thought they could get him at 19 so I don’t think they would’ve traded up before the draft started to just go from 29 to 19 for what reason? because they wanted Vonnie Holiday and they saw him falling. I remember watching the draft and watching Moss fall and hoping he’d be there at 19 and then when we traded back I was like “Why?” I even thought oh great, the Packers will probably draft him now for Brett Favre. But then the packers drafted Vonnie Holiday, and then I thought “Maybe Moss will fall even further due to his character concerns And we’ll still be able to get him.” And then the Vikings picked him 2 picks later and I was screaming at the tv.

But it was so long ago I could totally have it wrong.

See the thing is the Packers traded the pick and traded up with us because they were targeting Vonnie Holiday who was falling and I think they thought they could get him at 19 so I don’t think they would’ve traded up before the draft started to just go from 29 to 19 for what reason? because they wanted Vonnie Holiday and they saw him falling. I remember watching the draft and watching Moss fall and hoping he’d be there at 19 and then when we traded back I was like “Why?” I even thought oh great, the Packers will probably draft him now for Brett Favre. But then the packers drafted Vonnie Holiday, and then I thought “Maybe Moss will fall even further due to his character concerns And we’ll still be able to get him.” And then the Vikings picked him 2 picks later and I was screaming at the tv.

I wish we could find a replay of that draft.
Hey, I may be wrong. Long time ago...25 years!
I'll do some looking around and see if I can find anything.

OK!! Check this out:

Go to about 7:10 on the video, and watch the teams scrolling along the bottom. They are getting ready to announce the first pick- Payton Manning, and the scroll has the Green Bay packers picking at 19.
The Dolphins scroll by at pick 29.
The trade must have been made before the draft.

OK!! Check this out:

Go to about 7:10 on the video, and watch the teams scrolling along the bottom. They are getting ready to announce the first pick- Payton Manning, and the scroll has the Green Bay packers picking at 19.
The Dolphins scroll by at pick 29.
The trade must have been made before the draft.

Oh yeah, there it is. Pretty conclusive. I must have been pissed at what could’ve been if we hadn’t traded that pick which clearly happened earlier than I thought. Good call.

Oh yeah, there it is. Pretty conclusive. I must have been pissed at what could’ve been if we hadn’t traded that pick which clearly happened earlier than I thought. Good call.
Glad we got to the bottom of it!
Stay cool, Kyndig.

Thinking about this a couple days ago actually (yes, I sometimes have these debates with myself lol). This was actually in the context of "What was Dan's best chance to actually win a Super Bowl?" It's easy to say Super Bowl XIX because the Dolphins actually played in that game. But, they had a rubbish defense. Bill Walsh made several comments complimenting how great Shula was once he (Walsh) saw the Dolphins' defense in person during pre-game warmups (he said it was a true testament to Don that the team got that far considering how limited their defense truly was in 1984). It's also easy to pick any of the years the Phins went to the AFC Championship and lost (1985, 1992) and the year of the San Diego loss (1994). Though I have doubts about the Dolphins against the Cowboys in 1992 and 49ers in 1994.

My pick is 1983 (it is also the most disappointing to me). If the Dolphins survived the Seahawks (who they lost to) and the Raiders ( a team they could have beaten), they would have played Washington in the Super Bowl. I like the Dolphins chances in that game (remember, Marino torched that same Redskins team in week 1 the following year. But to be consistent, defenses and teams can fall apart in a single offseason--just like the 1982 Dolphins D was good and then the decline began).

Keep telling yourself that if that helps you sleep better at night Bears

If we would have been bale to get to Super Bowl XX, we would have met the Bears (who we matched up well with) in perfect weather (indoors) on turf. I know some things in the MNF game went our way (some flukey things like the deflected pass that went for a TD). But I still like our chances in the Super Bowl. To me, it would have come down to Buddy Ryan. If he approached the SB the same way he did the MNF game (by blitzing--like he did everybody), Marino would have destroyed that blitz (Jim Covert warned Buddy about blitzing before the MNF game and Buddy laughed it off). If Buddy listened to Ditka early on MNF and switched to a nickel defense early, the Bears may have been in that game. Likewise, if Chicago approached the SB by playing the nickel early and often, I'm not as confident about Miami's chances. But I think Buddy was enough of an egomaniac that he would have played the 46 and blitzed early (to prove MNF was a fluke) and Marino (who was the best equipped QB of all-time at neutralizing a blitz) would have picked them apart again. Obviously we are dealing in hypotheticals...6 turnovers against New England in the Orange Bowl SMH

Back
Top Bottom