Biggest disappointment in Dolphins history? | Page 15 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Biggest disappointment in Dolphins history?

A lot of good takes here. I will go in a different direction. Several years ago I would have said the SB losses, 94 playoff game, ‘85 title game, losing Zonk, Warfield and Kiick to CFL, etc.

But after last seasons tampering fiasco it’s official for me. The biggest disappointment in team history is Stephen Ross’ purchase of the franchise. That transaction trumps everything for me. Listen, he may be a good guy who spends money on the team. That’s not the issue. The issue is that - until hopefully “now” - he continually hired the wrong FO people + mucked up things he touched like Harbaugh / Sparano and Brady / Flores and had a steady stream of scandals like Bullygate etc. He was rightfully memed as Mr Magoo around here. Again, not for lack of trying - but results. No playoff wins since he took over. Only 3 appearances in 15 or 16 years. Presides over the longest stretch of irrelevance the franchise has EVER known - by FAR.

Not hating on the man. Just saying, the transaction that made Ross the owner - for me - is the most disappointing thing that has EVER happened to this club for the aforementioned reasons.

Losing a big game here or there - happens to every franchise. Being run poorly for so long? That’s far worse IMO. Hopefully he’s got the right team of FO guys now. Hopefully the back part of his tenure as owner closes out strong.

Yeah it's not even close. Hopefully his daughter (or whoever) isn't awful but this travesty could be passed on through generations of NY bottom feeders. That's the scariest part for me -- not seeing an end in sight.

His ****ing successor got banned from the team before his reign of suck even began. You can almost see the irony.

Hands down, without a doubt - HIRING TOM OLIVADOTTI AS DC AND KEEPING HIM ON THE STAFF FOR 10 YRS!
He had to have had something on Shula to keep his job as long as he did. I was in my early teens during his time as the DC, and even in my real limited football knowledge then, I knew he sucked.

What is the biggest disappointment in Dolphins history?

For me it is the Dolphins loss in the AFC championship game against the Patriots, Dolphins would have won the Superbowl against the Bears since it is a bad matchup against the Bears

A close 2nd would be after a great start at 9-2, Dolphins lost the rest of the games and missed the playoffs
Dion Jordan.

What is the biggest disappointment in Dolphins history?

For me it is the Dolphins loss in the AFC championship game against the Patriots, Dolphins would have won the Superbowl against the Bears since it is a bad matchup against the Bears

A close 2nd would be after a great start at 9-2, Dolphins lost the rest of the games and missed the playoffs
I’ve been a fan since 1974 and there wasn’t so much disappointment for the first 25 years or so of my fanhood, most of the rest of it has come the past 25 years or so:

-Never making it back to the super bowl for Dan Marino after the loss to the 49ers in 1985

-passing on Randy Moss and instead trading back with Green bay from 19 to 29 and drafting john Avery instead.

-Drafting Jamar Fletcher over Drew Brees at pick 26. Brees whent 6 picks later to the chargers in the first pick of the 2nd round

-Monday night miracle, jets come back on the Dolphins after we led 30-7 to end up losing 40-37.

-losing 62-7 to the jaguars in a playoff game that ended up being Marino’s last game

-Jimmy Johnson Retiring too soon and giving the team to the Wandstache

-NIck Sabin Drafting Ronnie Brown over Aaron Rodgers because he refused to look at players outside of the SEC

-Nick Saban signing Duante Culpepper instead of Drew Brees

-Nick Saban lying and saying he wasn’t going to take the Alabama job (even though it worked out great for him) and leaving us to end up replacing him with…

-Cam Cameron And the 1-15 season he ”led” us to after drafting Ted Ginn and his family.

-Finally getting the number one over all pick and then Drafting Jake Long over Matt Ryan

-Discovering quite quickly that Adam Gase was a complete fraud and about as much of an offensive guru as the homeless guy who lives on the corner of my street.

-Trading the farm to trade up for the bust that was Dion Jordan, that was quite a swing and quite a miss.

-Hiring Brian Flores (in hindsight) who almost ruined Tua, turned out to be a rat and ended up costing us one of our first round picks

-Getting Stomped by the Bills and The Titans at the end of the season during Flores’ tenure

That’s about all I can think of right now at the moment

Last edited:
I’ve been a fan since 1974 and there wasn’t so much disappointment for the first 25 years or so of my fanhood, most of the rest of it has come the past 25 years or so:

-Never making it back to the super bowl for Dan Marino after the loss to the 49ers in 1985

-passing on Randy Moss and instead trading back with Green bay from 19 to 29 and drafting john Avery instead.

-Drafting Jamar Fletcher over Drew Brees at pick 26. Brees whent 6 picks later to the chargers in the first pick of the 2nd round

-Monday night miracle, jets come back on the Dolphins after we led 30-7 to end up losing 40-37.

-losing 62-7 to the jaguars in a playoff game that ended up being Marino’s last game

-NIck Sabin Drafting Ronnie Brown over Aaron Rodgers because he refused to look at players outside of the SEC

-Nick Saban lying and saying he wasn’t going to take the Alabama job (even though it worked out great for him) and leaving us to end up replacing him with…

-Cam Cameron And the 1-15 season he ”led” us to after drafting Ted Ginn and his family.

-Finally getting the number one over all pick and then Drafting Jake Long over Matt Ryan

-Discovering quite quickly that Adam Gase was a complete fraud and about as much of an offensive guru as the homeless guy who lives on the corner of my street.

-Trading the farm to trade up for the bust that was Dion Jordan, that was quite a swing and quite a miss.

-Hiring Brian Flores (in hindsight) who almost ruined Tua, turned out to be a rat and ended up costing us one of our first round picks

-Getting Stomped by the Bills and The Titans at the end of the season during Flores’ tenure

A lot of those are so good, and I'm not contradicting/debating them.
In fairness to the Randy Moss miss though, NO ONE at the time expected Moss to get out of the top 10.
I know people get upset about Saban leaving and they feel betrayed, but if the man didn't want to be here, I'm glad he left. 1)he couldn't draft for s***, and 2) I think his style would have worn thin fast. I won't get into the whole "lying" thing because my take on that is different.

3 plays:
Sea of Hands
Franklin's fumble up 38-31 while running the clock out in the Hook and Ladder game

A little hazy on the last one, can't even tell you what year, whether it was playoffs or not, but, we were playing SD. Had a goal line stand. Took possession at our one and then got a safety trying to get out of there. Punted. SD got a TD so that goal line stand cost of 9 points rather than the 7 if they got the TD. Can anybody fill in the details of what game I'm talking about?

A lot of those are so good, and I'm not contradicting/debating them.
In fairness to the Randy Moss miss though, NO ONE at the time expected Moss to get out of the top 10.
I know people get upset about Saban leaving and they feel betrayed, but if the man didn't want to be here, I'm glad he left. 1)he couldn't draft for s***, and 2) I think his style would have worn thin fast. I won't get into the whole "lying" thing because my take on that is different.
So my memory of the Randy moss thing was that he was already out of the top 10 by the time we traded our pick to the packers. Like the trade happened with Green Bay at the time of our pick and he was available as Green Bay wanted to see if vonnie Holiday was going to be there so maybe that trade happened two pics or so before our pick which was 19th at the time and Moss was available. I know this because I was mad when we traded down and mad even further when we did t draft Moss, because the Vikings drafted him at 21 as I recall. That for me was a hugely disappointing moment. As for Saban, I understand ur point but at the time can you honestly say that in that moment you weren’t disappointed?
Having said that your points about Sabans shortcomings in the NFL are 100% correct. He cost us both Brees and Aaron Rodgers, so yeah part of me says good riddance. But at the time I remember being crushed.

Last edited:
A little hazy on the last one, can't even tell you what year, whether it was playoffs or not, but, we were playing SD. Had a goal line stand. Took possession at our one and then got a safety trying to get out of there. Punted. SD got a TD so that goal line stand cost of 9 points rather than the 7 if they got the TD. Can anybody fill in the details of what game I'm talking about?
'94 Divisional loss at the Murph. The Safety happened right in front of me. I was second row, second level on the goal line. The entire third quarter was played at my end. I think we had the ball something like six plays for the quarter.

Man, talk about a drink inducing post!!! 😮‍💨

'94 Divisional loss at the Murph. The Safety happened right in front of me. I was second row, second level on the goal line. The entire third quarter was played at my end. I think we had the ball something like six plays for the quarter.
Thanks for the info

Back
Top Bottom