Biggest Super Bowl windows: Falcons, Cowboys, Raiders top list | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Biggest Super Bowl windows: Falcons, Cowboys, Raiders top list

We had a negative point differential despite winning 10 games. That's typically an ominous sign. Same with Oakland. They are flooded with ominous signs. Not only did they win a ton of close games to post a barely positive point differential despite a 12-4 record, but they also did it with a negative YPPA Differential. At least the Dolphins were positive at +.9. Oakland is a huge favorite to regress next season.

Atlanta and New England led the league in YPPA Differential at +2.0 and +1.4. The Patriots logically would have been higher than +1.4 if Brady hadn't missed the first 4 games. More often than not you need to be very, very good in that category to be a serious Super Bowl contender. Sometimes it's not always obvious. Green Bay led the league despite the 6th seed in 2010 before winning the Super Bowl, and Pittsburgh was second -- barely behind Indianapolis -- before winning the 2005 season Super Bowl. Those two teams met very early in the playoffs despite being #1 and #2.

I'll start believing in the Dolphins if we establish ourselves in the top handful in that category and maintain it. You have to be great somewhere, either offensive YPPA or defensive YPPA. Atlanta this season was weak defensively but the bizarre positive season from Ryan above 9 YPA made them a legit contender for the first time in this era.

Too many problems with subjectively assigning 2 or 3 teams to that category. Denver and Cincinnati underachieved this season, based on talent level. So did Arizona and Minnesota in the NFC. Once things get underway again all of a sudden the old realities are front and center.

I think the loss of Kyle Shanahan will hurt Atlanta a lot. I liked Shanahan even when I was in a very small minority, and I still do.

They need to be real careful with that OC hire and find the right guy.

Back
Top Bottom