Bill Cowher and Jon Gruden: Pros and Cons | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bill Cowher and Jon Gruden: Pros and Cons

The thing that concerns me about Gruden is who's going to be his GM? because I don't Ireland back.

The thing that concerns me about Gruden is who's going to be his GM? because I don't Ireland back.

Yeah, that's tough to say. It seems almost a given that Cowher would want to bring Omar Khan over from Pittsburgh, but Khan isn't a football guy. His experience is on the business side of things.

One name that should be considered no matter who the head coach ends up being is Eric DeCosta, who's been with the Ravens for 16 years and is currently their Director of Player Personnel. He's the slam dunk successor to Ozzie Newsome there (and has been deemed that by the Ravens' owner), so he might not be inclined to leave but it's hard to argue with their track record there and his role in it.

I'd make a big push for him.

We could always hire Oliver Luck as GM or VP of Football Operations. Everything the guy touches seems to turn to gold.

We could always hire Oliver Luck as GM or VP of Football Operations. Everything the guy touches seems to turn to gold.

I like this. Would his wife's birth canal accept a job as Strength and Conditioning Coach? 'Cause all that thing makes are winners.

by the time we start looking for our next head coach we will know in what order the draft is going to be. I believe having the #1 pick gives us a big advantage above other teams to get a coach. I love grudens potential with luck and im really tired of our offense over the last several years lacking any big plays.

Sparano wont be fired until seasons end,even if done sooner Miami can't just hire his replacement there is a process,
By season end the draft order will be finalized

Sparano wont be fired until seasons end,even if done sooner Miami can't just hire his replacement there is a process, By season end the draft order will be finalized
Didn't Gruden just re sign with ESPN? I wonder if he wouldn't be happy staying in the broadcast booth.

Didn't Gruden just re sign with ESPN? I wonder if he wouldn't be happy staying in the broadcast booth.

The current thinking about that contract as I understand it is that it won't stop him from taking a coaching job this offseason. In future offseasons it might but not this year.

Lol sorry didn't mean to offend everyone. I thought it was a great post and was just trying to be a little funny with a stupid one line sentence. My bad

i can't get behind andy reid if he was let go in philly...that guy just never gets over the hump...

Reid is a great QB coach, lousy head coach. Many of the exact same things that make you tear your hair out with Sparano will be repeated with Reid. Awful clock management, refuses to mix it up when stuff clearly isn't working, etc.

i can't get behind andy reid if he was let go in philly...that guy just never gets over the hump...

He's a really good coach. It'll happen for him eventually, just as it took Cowher a while to win it. I have my problems with Jeff Fisher stylistically but he has the same record in Super Bowls as Reid (but with an inferior overall record) yet I see people clamoring for him.

Philadelphia is a consistent contender and a good drafting team. They're well run overall. This year they just had that one extra thin mint and exploded all over the goddamn place.

Last edited by a moderator:
He's a really good coach. It'll happen for him eventually, just as it took Cowher a while to win it. I have my problems with Jeff Fisher stylistically but he has the same record in Super Bowls as Reid (but with an inferior overall record) yet I see people clamoring for him.

Philadelphia is a consistent contender and a good drafting team. They're well run overall. This year they just had that one extra thin mint and exploded all over the goddamn place.

Kudos for bringing in the meaning of life reference. Oh fishy fishy fishy wooooo

One of the main issues I have with Gruden is his lack of patience with young quarterbacks. He wants to come in with his complex offensive schemes and 15-word plays that only confuse younger players. More complicated =/= more productive. He likes Peyton Manning because it takes a QB with that level of experience and football IQ to understand what Gruden is talking about half the time.

Furthermore, he's the type of coach who's own ego is subject to get in the way of team chemistry. His message and his quirks will wear thin on a football team, it's only a matter of time. I don't think he has staying power. Gruden is a flashy name that just seems to like being a flashy name more than anything else.

Cowher and/or Jeff Fisher are both more even keeled, and have more staying power no matter what situation they get into. Their message and quirks aren't going to wear thin on a football team nearly as fast as Gruden.

The spread concepts that the NFL has integrated from college haven't made offenses more complicated, they've made them simpler and less complicated. Which is why college QB's who would've been busting out in the NFL 15 years ago are now able to experience various degrees of success in the NFL.

However, over the long haul defenses are going to force each and every one of these quarterbacks out from under that umbrella of simple spread concepts, and into what the NFL is all about... identifying matchups and exploiting them. The QB's that can't adjust and do this will be cast by the wayside and replaced. The cream will always rise to the top in time, and the sh*t will roll downhill.

As long as Gruden understands that, he'll make a good quarterback out of a good quarterback prospect. But they're going to eventually have to learn Gruden's WCO and philosophy, the spread concepts he implements into it will only keep a young QB hid for so long.... and Gruden's patience will be tested.

Back
Top Bottom