Bill Cowher and Jon Gruden: Pros and Cons | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bill Cowher and Jon Gruden: Pros and Cons

One thing I have to add to this whole discussion is something the poster revkev brought up today, which is that Cowher has very close ties with Tom Clements, the current quarterbacks coach of the Green Bay Packers. Cowher has known the guy since they were kids and hired him as the quarterbacks coach in Pittsburgh in 2001, where he stayed until he was hired as the offensive coordinator of the Buffalo Bills under then head coach and former Steelers offensive coordinator Mike Mularkey.

One reason I liked the notion of Gruden as our head coach is because Gruden's West Coast system allows Andrew Luck (assuming we have the #1 overall pick) a tremendous amount of continuity as he transitions to the pro game. I couldn't find any former Cowher offensive coordinators who had used that system so I just figured he would be hiring a Coryell or Erhardt-Perkins guy (Erhardt himself actually worked for Cowher back in the day IIRC).

But Clements is the perfect bridge. A guy who's been coaching Aaron Rodgers almost right from the beginning (Rodgers was drafted in 2005, Clements went to work for the Packers in 2006), so he's familiar with the West Coast offense now and knows how to turn a guy like Rodgers (who Luck is in many ways similar to) into a super star.

It's a match made literally in heaven. If Cowher can get Clements to be his OC, Keith Butler as his DC, Eric DeCosta as the General Manager and Andrew Luck as his quarterback... I would probably have a heart attack from excitement.

'Cause THAT'S how you turn an organization around, boys.

Out of the two I'd prefer Cowher. I'm pretty confident we'd end up with a better overall coaching staff if he was HC rather than Gruden

Question is whether appointing the ex-star coach is really the way to go - are they likely to be as good as they once were ? Is the fire still there ? How much do they really want it / need it ?

For me, ideally we'd be looking for the next Cowher / Gruden - a more risky but potentially better option

Super Bowls are hard to win no matter who you are. As good as Bill Belicheck is, they still haven't won one since, what? 2005?

Coaching has changed. It's too stressful for these guys to really be lifers the way Don Shula and Tom Landry were, so they end up taking breaks whereas before they were more likely to get fired for having lost their mojo or never having been very good (like Tom Flores with the Seahawks or Dennis Erickson with the, well... Seahawks).

Bill Parcells and Dick Vermeil both had plenty of success with their second and third teams in the modern game.

Haven't we gone long enough with coaches trying to 'fit' players into what they want rather than trying to create a system that fits our players?

If we get Luck, it doesn't matter who the coach is. I want them to let him play his style and let him do what makes him so effective, taking advantage of mismatches.

Luck's biggest strength is between his ears. He should be allowed to run the offense to his strengths rather than having a coach trying to change that.
I certainly agree with that philosophy, but I think Gruden may be so hellbent on running "his" offense that he discounts these ideas you're putting forth.

Another reason why Cowher and a good quarterbacks coach may be the better option. If Andrew Luck is a round peg, they may have more of the flexibility than Gruden necessary to create a round hole for him.

Then again, of course we may not even get Andrew Luck, even though it's starting to sound like a "done deal" around here.

I'll go with Gruden over Cowher. I think Gruden has more fire left

Jimmy Johnson looked incredibly worn out after just a couple years here. So did Wanny. I feel it would be the same with Cowher, but not Gruden.

I also think Gruden has more respect for Miami's glory years than Cowher does, as he's talked about it before on a few occasions. He looks to be more well versed with the Dolphins. I think Gruden would go that extra mile to bring those glory days back to Miami again.

I just think he'd "breathe" Dolphins Football at a different level. It's a Gut feeling.

It boggles my mind how anybody could want Jeff Fisher.
Sorry. I didn't know you had no clue about football.

you are OUT of your mind if you don't think Fisher is a good coach.
Or are you just trying to get your post number higher? And, have your friends "like" your posts.

jeeessseeee

Back
Top Bottom