Bill Lazor | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bill Lazor

I dont think Lazor leaves for a HC gig until HE feels he is ready to be a HC.

I dont think Lazor leaves for a HC gig until HE feels he is ready to be a HC.

Or, maybe until he shows he can be a head coach. His offense scored a touchdown in a preseason game. Let's just relax.

I think in many ways he already is the HC to the offensive players. He runs the offense PERIOD. If Philbin told a player to do something a certain way and Lazor said do it another way they would do it the way Lazor said. Lazor demands respect, philbin would rather try and manipulate a player into doing things his way. Lazor is a leader Philbin is not. Lazor makes you want to run through a wall for him, Philbin makes you want to help him to his favorite chair.

From the first time I heard Lazor speak he reminded me of a young Don Shula. I would love to trade Philbin back to Green Bay for Eddie Lacy.

Im old enough to remember Shula during his early years and its true.....Lazor reminds me of how Shula used to command that special respect from the players that not every coach (our present HC, for example) can manage.

Listening to Lazor talk is a nice contrast to Mike Sherman. Sherman was always "Play didn't work? Players didn't execute properly, that play always works when done correctly" Lazor when asked about plays not working basically said "let's figure out why it didn't work, and what we need to do differently next time." Whether or not he ends up panning out or not remains to be seen, but this is why I wanted to go after a younger coach who was open to new ideas. While some coaches can adapt, the older ones tend to be rather stubborn when it comes to changing their style.

Listening to Lazor talk is a nice contrast to Mike Sherman. Sherman was always "Play didn't work? Players didn't execute properly, that play always works when done correctly" Lazor when asked about plays not working basically said "let's figure out why it didn't work, and what we need to do differently next time." Whether or not he ends up panning out or not remains to be seen, but this is why I wanted to go after a younger coach who was open to new ideas. While some coaches can adapt, the older ones tend to be rather stubborn when it comes to changing their style.

I'm a huge fan of the way that Lazor is implementing some of Kelly's tactics. Specifically, getting to the line and snapping the ball quickly after breaking the huddle. I have mixed feelings toward the hurry-up. I acknowledge that it's an advantage for the offense, but I'm not convinced the benefits consistently outweigh costs - leaving your D on the field a lot. By using a huddle but breaking quickly and snapping quickly, you can still control the clock and the game, but you maintain the benefit of keeping the D off balance - causing blown assignments, etc.

I'm also waiting to see how philly does. If they struggle on offense, it will tell us something. Foles didnt llook too good the other nite.

Just a thought. Having Lazor as an Offensive Coordinator gives him the absolute best position to impact our offense.

Nov Turner was a very good Offensive Coordinator ... but his offenses were never as good when he was a head coach. The HC job is more man management and supervising than actually teaching, scheming nd developing. The OC is the person responsible for the offense ... hence why Ross insisted that Sherman go. Two years, our offense is still poor. Enter Lazor.

Just a thought. Having Lazor as an Offensive Coordinator gives him the absolute best position to impact our offense.

Nov Turner was a very good Offensive Coordinator ... but his offenses were never as good when he was a head coach. The HC job is more man management and supervising than actually teaching, scheming nd developing. The OC is the person responsible for the offense ... hence why Ross insisted that Sherman go. Two years, our offense is still poor. Enter Lazor.

Even so, I feel that Lazor would be a more effective HC than Philbin. There is just something about him that is inspiring when you see him talk. He communicates so much more clearly and effectively than Philbin and that is huge for a HC.

There are some offensive gurus who continue to influence their team's offense as a HC (Sean Payton, Chip Kelly).

Norv really isn't a good example because he isn't an effective communicator or leader, thus why he struggles as a HC

sad that we have a guy we like and he hasnt even completed a season, yet some fans are already dreading losing him, well because it's the dolphins way. lol

Turner had some solid offenses in San Diego, but he is just one of those guys that isn't good at getting respect from the entire team. But Norv also delegated playcalling duties. Not that head coaches can't be good playcallers, but those that are do rely heavily on their OCs during the week.

As I've said many times, I just think Mike Sherman struggled to adapt to the changing games. Some of it showed in A&M, but there are so many quotes from him that make me scratch my head in his time here. And that's just how it is sometimes. Some guys are just so set in their ways that they can't adjust (See Tony Sparano) and with older coaches it's especially hard.

That's why I was more interested in going after a younger position coach for OC like Lazor or McAdoo rather than a retread (though some retreads are good). Of course, to me, there is no greater compliment to a team than when other teams are asking to interview your assistants for promotions.

I love the optimism here and so far I love what I’m seeing and hearing from Lazor. However, I’m not ready to anoint the guy the next HC and start with the Superbowl predictions after one great drive in a preseason game against a mediocre defense. High hopes none the less.

PFT on Lazor-Tannehill:

Bill Lazor on Ryan Tannehill: He’s coming

Those completions came as Miami ran their offense at a quick pace that forced Tannehill to make quick, precise decisions about where to go with the ball. Offensive coordinator Bill Lazor liked what he saw from his charge, especially in terms of the footwork that’s been a point of emphasis for him at practice this summer. Lazor also liked Tannehill’s leadership and said he will keep the pressure on Tannehill to continue building him as a quarterback.

“My job right now is to push him. I’ve got to make it very hard for him out here on the practice field,” Lazor said, via the South Florida Sun-Sentinel. “I heard a rumor that some people have reported we’ve made it hard for him on the field. That’s on purpose. That’s how you build a quarterback. He’s coming”.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/08/11/bill-lazor-on-ryan-tannehill-hes-coming/

Back
Top Bottom