Bills Classless Again | Page 16 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bills Classless Again

I suppose it is possible that there's something more there. I doubt it, but it's certainly possible.

IMO it's more likely that regularly being beaten pisses grown prideful men off. Again, I remember going oh-for-the-'70s against you guys, and you could have been the politest sweetest most sportsmanlike fellows on earth and we would still have hated your guts like poison at that point.
I also realize that sportsmanship looks different today. I remember being shocked when Mark Gastineau first performed his sack dance. Now, that's common place and nobody even blinks an eye.

There have been a few articles written by the media pointing out Buffalo's unsportsmanlike behavior in the Miami game, though. So, maybe it's not me just being an old guy upset with what I witnessed.

Last edited:
If Allen got seriously injured on an unnecessary play, I would absolutely blame the coaches. That play was not unnecessary, so no, I absolutely would not.

Again, the difference between 16 points and 17 points is potentially really big, a two-score game vs. a three-score game. Yeah, the odds are that it wouldn't have been an issue, but this stuff happens. You are talking to a fan of a team that suffered from the Hail Murray last year to lose a game. Bizarre stuff happens. Not often, but it absolutely does.

As for Shula not running up the score, dude, please. He loved to run up the score.

You guys tend to remember him with a halo (as I would in your place, I'm sure) but he had no problem humiliating teams that let it happen. A few examples:

9/10/78 Fins over Colts 42-0, with 14 points scored in the 4th quarter
9/24/77 Fins over Cardinals 55-14
10/19/75 Fins over Jets 43-0, with their last TD, the one getting the score to 40-0 late in the 3rd quarter coming on a 32 yard pass
11/2/75 Fins over Bears 46-13, 14 points scored in the 4th on a 58 yard pass and a 29 yard pass
11/3/74 Fins over Falcon 42-7
19/7/73 Fins over Jets 31-3
11/11/73 Fins over Colts 44-0
12/15/73 Fins over Lions 34-7

Shula had absolutely zero problem with grinding his bootheel into an opponent's face. Nor should he have. Unfortunately, the Bills were under that heel a time or two. Stop kidding yourself he was Little Orphan Annie.
Not with a minute left like what happened Sunday. Until there's a nine point play in football, that makes zero sense to me.

If Allen got seriously injured on an unnecessary play, I would absolutely blame the coaches. That play was not unnecessary, so no, I absolutely would not.

Again, the difference between 16 points and 17 points is potentially really big, a two-score game vs. a three-score game. Yeah, the odds are that it wouldn't have been an issue, but this stuff happens. You are talking to a fan of a team that suffered from the Hail Murray last year to lose a game. Bizarre stuff happens. Not often, but it absolutely does.

As for Shula not running up the score, dude, please. He loved to run up the score.

You guys tend to remember him with a halo (as I would in your place, I'm sure) but he had no problem humiliating teams that let it happen. A few examples:

10/19/75 Fins over Jets 43-0, with their last TD, the one getting the score to 40-0 late in the 3rd quarter coming on a 32 yard pass
11/2/75 Fins over Bears 46-13, 14 points scored in the 4th on a 58 yard pass and a 29 yard pass

Shula had absolutely zero problem with grinding his bootheel into an opponent's face. Nor should he have. Unfortunately, the Bills were under that heel a time or two. Stop kidding yourself he was Little Orphan Annie.
Here's the question...should a team still do that when they're up more than two scores with the ball and the opponent has no TOs and it's under two minutes left in the game (as opposed to, say, six minutes left)? Esp if you have your starters in there.

There are aspects of old school sports that I miss. Mainly, the players "policing" the game when it came to unwritten rules.

For example, in baseball if an opponent tried to show you up, everyone knew the chin music was coming.

In football, if a team ran up the score, your quarterback was going to get hit like Bert Jones.

Of course, now quarterbacks can't get tossed like in wrestle mania which is a good thing.

Here's the question...should a team still do that when they're up more than two scores with the ball and the opponent has no TOs and it's under two minutes left in the game (as opposed to, say, six minutes left)? Esp if you have your starters in there.
If they want to yes.

you earned that position and should continue to do whatever you want until the other team stops you.

this isn’t little league.

Actually, it's gorgeous. Cold in the winter but as a skier, I loved it there.

On the other hand, last time I visited Florida for a conference, I spent the whole trip there in the airport Marriott, eating at the airport restaurants. I still remember walking through the lobby in my swimsuit going to the pool. I opened the door, took two steps outside and felt like the air had been replaced by a hot mattress, like I'd be breathing water. Turned right around and walked back in and stayed in the air conditioning the whole six days. Summer in Florida is about as inviting as Devil's Island.

Loved my October trip to the Keys a few decades ago, but I wouldn't live in Florida year-round for less than six figures.

To each their own, I guess, but upstate New York is beautiful.
It's gorgeous in the city of Buffalo in winter??? Are you on serious medication? Where were you skiing in Buffalo area? Greek Peak? I'm born and raised in NYC and went to school in Binghamton and ran the ski club. My son went to school in Rochester. I admit it's gorgeous in the Dacks on top of Whiteface or Gore with 12" of fresh powder. It's gorgeous in the finger lakes in the summer sipping wine at Lake Seneca. Lot's of NY state is really pretty. I guess even Buffalo on a nice summer day on the Lake with some Anchor Bar and cold Gennys is nice. But "Buffalo" in the winter??? Hard pass. You can't rope that in with "upstate"

It's gorgeous in the city of Buffalo in winter??? Are you on serious medication? Where were you skiing in Buffalo area? Greek Peak? I'm born and raised in NYC and went to school in Binghamton and ran the ski club. My son went to school in Rochester. I admit it's gorgeous in the Dacks on top of Whiteface or Gore with 12" of fresh powder. It's gorgeous in the finger lakes in the summer sipping wine at Lake Seneca. Lot's of NY state is really pretty. I guess even Buffalo on a nice summer day on the Lake with some Anchor Bar and cold Gennys is nice. But "Buffalo" in the winter??? Hard pass. You can't rope that in with "upstate"
I was born and raised in Rochester, but have lived in Los Angeles for the last 30 years. And I'll tell you what-- I totally miss the Upstate NY winters. I have every intention of retiring there. I will miss California skiing, though. Greek Peak, Swain, Bristol Mountain, and a few little odd places were pretty great as a kid, but they don't hold a candle to Mammoth, or Tahoe.

Also, growing up on a Great Lake rules. So does having four, distinct seasons. An affordable cost of living is nice, too.

Not with a minute left like what happened Sunday. Until there's a nine point play in football, that makes zero sense to me.

Well, zero sense to you, maybe.

But it still makes sense. Again, we had a successful Hail Mary thrown against us just last year. And yeah, successful onside kicks are rare, but they happen. One happened just this weekend.

You make that a three-score game and there's zero chance of a loss, and it's only one play to make that happen. Makes all the sense in the world.

You've mis-stated the question. They were not up "more than two scores." It was a two-score game there. Not a three-score game.

So with that fundamental change made to your question ...

Answer: Yes. If it's the difference between a two-score game and a three-score game. This is simple game theory. And it's not like we had to run another drive to do it. It was one play. So yeah, absolutely.

And since there's nothing from SFDolphinFan, I want to post this info one more time. He said I wouldn't find even one example of Shula running the score up:

And that's not a complete list by any means, it's a selection of the best examples from '73 to '78 only!!

Shula had absolutely zero problem with grinding his bootheel into an opponent's face. Nor should he have. Unfortunately, the Bills were under that heel a time or two. Stop kidding yourself he was Little Orphan Annie. He wasn't. A hell of a football coach, yeah, but not averse to kicking a team when it was down.

Last edited:

All year round, actually, it's absolutely beautiful country.

I went to Greek Peak a bunch of times. I was on the ski team so we went to all the areas, but my parents were on the Ski Patrol at Kissing Bridge.

We used to go snow-shoeing and cross-country skiing too. Gorgeous. Even the city of Buffalo was beautiful. I remember pogeying on the backs of cars in the snow, only a few times, but try that in South Florida. Snowy landscapes can be beautiful. We used to play football in the snow. Those were the days.

I was born and raised in Rochester, but have lived in Los Angeles for the last 30 years. And I'll tell you what-- I totally miss the Upstate NY winters. I have every intention of retiring there. I will miss California skiing, though. Greek Peak, Swain, Bristol Mountain, and a few little odd places were pretty great as a kid, but they don't hold a candle to Mammoth, or Tahoe.

Also, growing up on a Great Lake rules. So does having four, distinct seasons. An affordable cost of living is nice, too.

Yeah, I live in Japan now, southern Japan and we get maybe three or four days of snow a year. I completely miss the snow.

Last edited:
Name one play, in any game in Allen's career, where he has complained about a clean hit. It just does not happen.

If he gets fouled, he'll want a flag, sure. That is the competitive nature of the game. But, he puts his body on the line every game in ways that Tua can only dream about. Calling Josh Allen "whiny" is a jo
Complaining to the refs about any hit as far as I`m concerned is whiny , lots of players do it Allen being one of them .

Complaining to the refs about any hit as far as I`m concerned is whiny , lots of players do it Allen being one of them .
Wanting a flag thrown when an opposing player commits a foul isn't whiny. It's competitive. Maybe that's one of the problems with the Dolphins?

Back
Top Bottom