Bills expected to make Dolphins' Charles Clay a substantial offer | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bills expected to make Dolphins' Charles Clay a substantial offer

i might be leaning that way also...sims and lynch are primary in line guys that can work underneath and sit down in zones and work off pa down the field on occasion...if you dont replace clays role in the draft you got to shift your offense around some and make it more about an extra wr on the field...

but then you are gonna have the defense playing with an extra db on the field instead of a lb to take advantage of mismatch wise...tough call...depends on what we'd replace him with...which will be an unknown at this point

Exaxtly. I prefer a TE
with height, especially since our team is verticallyrics challenged midgets.

what you don't want to do is carry 3 primary in line tight ends...not unless one of them can be split out or flexed in obvious pass downs...in our offense i would not do that

How's about we pay for a TE who can block ~ these Ireland project Tweener types ~ have goten us no where fast ~ even Tanny was a project ~ with a high ceiling ~ But why do we always have a draft and then then pay these tweeners?

if miami saw the writing on the wall with this clay thing i would think that a play at a wr like cobb would make a lot of sense...so if that's where they were leaning i get it...replacing clay with an extra wr that can work inside and outside and in the backfield etc with versatility like cobb has would make a ton of sense to replace clays impact in the offense and make defenses have to respect you in both phases

but then again there's a 5 day timeframe on clay from when a team would make an offer and miami would have to match once free agency opens and cobb wouldn't wait on that

How's about we pay for a TE who can block

We have one.
Where Sims really excels over Clay is his ability as a blocker. He’s graded at -0.7 as a run-blocker, but he has had only two slightly negative PFF grades since Week 4. He’s improving as he gains experience, with upside to continue getting better.

This article from last year is a pretty good read to anyone interested..

Has Dion Sims made Charles Clay expendable moving forward?
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2286991-has-dion-sims-made-charles-clay-expendable-moving-forward

Sims isn't good enough to start and be the red-zone threat they need. Don't let Clay go to Buffalo.

Towards the end of last season, he showed some signs that he might turn into a decent te option. Clay's 3 touchdowns last year don't really point to him as much of a red zone threat, but he's been pretty good as a "go to" guy when we need to pick up a first down. I'm not convinced that he ever becomes the tight end for whom we've been hoping, and if we have to sign him to a high end deal to keep him, I wouldn't feel too badly about letting someone else take the gamble that he'll develop further. My gut is telling me that Sims may emerge as the better red zone target before too long ...but that could just be gas I'm feeling.

sims is one of the best blocking tight ends in football...good player...but not a dictate to coverage tight end...you can flex him you can split him etc but you won't threaten the defense doing that with him in obvious pass downs etc...they gonna always play call pretty straight up

you lose clay and mike wallace and jarvis landry are gonna get all the defenses attention...unless you bring in something legit be it draft or free agency...you lose wallace and clay and jarvis landry is gonna be doubled out the nose as things stand

Clay is simply not worth the money being thrown around. Let Buffalo overpay for him.

Clay is the only real playmaker we have on offense, I sure as hell don't want to lose him.

How substantial is the question? I'd like to just resign him for 3ish years and get rid of that 7 mil number for this year

sims is one of the best blocking tight ends in football...good player...but not a dictate to coverage tight end...you can flex him you can split him etc but you won't threaten the defense doing that with him in obvious pass downs etc...they gonna always play call pretty straight up

you lose clay and mike wallace and jarvis landry are gonna get all the defenses attention...unless you bring in something legit be it draft or free agency...you lose wallace and clay and jarvis landry is gonna be doubled out the nose as things stand

What about Gresham? he is still on the market isnt he? Could be a decent pair with Sims and cost less than Clay

What about Gresham? he is still on the market isnt he? Could be a decent pair with Sims and cost less than Clay

nah primary in line all the way also...if we didnt have sims i'd say yes for sure but this is dion sims in our offense except he's gotten dinged up of late and seems to have hand and concentration lapses...i'd pass

i think sims is the better overall player right now actually

Jordon Cameron?!? For same money no?

I know this would be a super risky signing, but this guy is a threat and would not mind seeing him pair up with Sims. If Hoyer was half way decent, Cameron would have had another good year despite his concussions. Hoyer threw bad passes all year, constantly overthrowing and missing Jordan Cameron, he sucks.

I hope the Jets sign Hoyer, it would be a joke.

Barry Jackson ‏@flasportsbuzz 1m1 minute ago
As ESPN's Josina Anderson reported yesterday, Bills have interest in Charles Clay. But because he has transition tag, Clay cannot...

Barry Jackson ‏@flasportsbuzz 39s39 seconds ago
... talk numbers with other teams until 4 p.m. Tuesday --- unlike unrestricted FAs - let alone sign offer sheet. Fins have right to match.

Back
Top Bottom