Bills interested in Rivers. | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bills interested in Rivers.

Originally posted by Dolphin Dan
IF we don't trade up, and the guy we want is not their, we don't draft a QB. Simple. We can't just draft Losman or some other QB if we don't really think theyare good just because theyare the best available at a pos of need. Teams that do that pay for it.

This is true. I do not advocate taking a QB that has no chance of helping us in the long run just because we need to replace Feidler. However, if we trade up for a QB that is only the 2nd or 3rd best available and ignore our OL and WR we pay for that too. Both the Panthers and the Pats have talented offensive linemen that have been together for a while and protect QB's that were not 1st round picks. Also we have an limited time frame to get this defense to the SB before free agency takes over. A rookie QB may help us in two or three years so the simple answer, to me, is not to take a QB in the first round. If we are going to build a team then why not build a good O-line to help Ricky now? We can worry about drafting a QB in the 1st next year if nothing (Ricky Ray, Brunell, or surprise mystery QB) don't pan out this season. In the mean time we will have shored up our O-line and maybe picked up a real #2 receiver.

Originally posted by zevo
...We have two probowl caliber tackles in Jonas Jennings and the 4th overall pick from 2 years ago in Mike Williams. Not to mention we hired the best O-line coach in the NFL. The Bills will not take any O-lineman higher than 4th round just because of the talent that is already there and the fact we have Coach Mcnally to get this team to play like a probowl line. The Bills will go Qb, Wr, or DE depending if Udeze or Will Smith is available.

Well, thanks for the input. I wouldn't send your tackles to the probowl just yet. For some reason, Bledsoe keeps eating dirt. I like Williams...he does have a good upside as long as he can keep Bledsoe from laying on his backside.

I stand by my comment of your team drafting an injured player in the 1st round. They did it last year. They shall do it again.

As far as needing a tackle...that was based solely on this link...
Team Needs

And for some reason I thought that your former 3rd round pick Jonas Jennings was not probowl caliber and was on injured reserve. Please forgive me for my ignorance. ;)

Now back to the Rivers...if the Bills reach up an grab another player that is NOT top 13 material and are willing to pay for it...that's fine with me. The Dolphins will have a greater chance of drafting a top WR.

Originally posted by Dolfan954
They don't want Rivers. They have a big hole burning in the #2 WR spot. They'll get a stud at WR with their first pick. To pick Rivers would be assanine.

I'm still waiting on Mr. CWs official assesment of this speculation though. :)
:lol:

Hey, like I've said before, I want us to take Reggie Williams(if we don't get TO, Jackson, etc in free agency first).
If we draft Rivers I'm gonna puke.
Fins can have him, his senior bowl perofrmance was blown way outta proportion. He could be a good one, but it'll take a few years.

Originally posted by CirclingWagons
:lol:

Hey, like I've said before, I want us to take Reggie Williams(if we don't get TO, Jackson, etc in free agency first).
If we draft Rivers I'm gonna puke.
Fins can have him, his senior bowl perofrmance was blown way outta proportion. He could be a good one, but it'll take a few years.
Now I can rest easy. The authority on Bills personnel and news has spoken.

:allhail:

Originally posted by Dolfan954

Now I can rest easy. The authority on Bills personnel and news has spoken.

:allhail:
:lol:, that would not be good ...I'd rather listen to Clump's take on it.;)

buffalo will draft TE Winslow so put that up your pipe and smoke it!!!!Rivers to MIAMI!!!!

Originally posted by Zachspac54
buffalo will draft TE Winslow so put that up your pipe and smoke it!!!!Rivers to MIAMI!!!!
I would smoke that like a champ!!!

Winslow would be the best possible choice, but the skins will take him first...Reggie Williams is the next best thing.

The Bills gave up too much for Bledsoe as it was, they won't draft Rivers. IT doesn't matter who their QB is anyways until they get some pass protection, and another WR to go with Moulds. Josh Reed is overrated.

Tom Donahoe is a crafty guy, but he ain't stupid. Yeah he drafted Willis McGahee when he already had Travis Henry, but ya know why? Its cuz Henry doesn't fit his idea of the perfect back to run for his team...McGahee does. PLUS, if I'm not mistaken, Donahoe didn't draft Henry.

He DID however, trade for Drew Bledsoe. Spent a full first round pick on Drew. If he drafted a QB in the first round this year, ownership might raise an eyebrow. You just spent a first round pick on Drew Bledsoe. Why are you spending another one on Phillip Rivers?

So I conclude that Donahoe would not draft Rivers or Losman in the first round because that would be a direct admission that he made a mistake trading a first round pick for Bledsoe. And since I'm sure as the GM with final say on personnel he can't possibly pin that on ex-HC Greg Williams, he just can't make that admission. Draft a guy in the 2nd round, you're just protecting your future at the QB position. Draft a guy in the first round at pick #13, and you're showing unhappiness with Drew Bledsoe.

Its no surprise that Rivers is the guy Donahoe is payin attention to. He's a 2nd round talent whose intangibles and knack for pushing the ball downfield on all platforms is possibly pushing him into the first round. On the one hand if Donahoe sees this kid in the 2nd round, he'd probably grab him and no worries. But if payin attention to him now causes Miami, a division rival, to spend a couple extra picks to move up and get a guy that the Bills really had no intention of drafting at #13 anyway....hey, thats pretty good too.

I went to the Bills Board and they say Donahoe doesnt like being too overt when it comes to the draft. I think that he likes Rivers and wants to see what the reaction of other teams for him to see if he may fall to him in the 2nd round. What i dont get is that Donahoe had all this time to interview and scout Rivers in Mobile - what is he going to learn now about him that he couldnt a few days ago....guys this is a bait thrown in to see if other teams bite to measure interest

donahoe drafted Henry in his first draft.

The bills offensiveline sucks. They almost got bledsoe killed. They will go offenisiveline or wr. And if they don't, that just shows how much this new coaching staff is gonna suck as the last one.

Their new OL coach is great he will already improve that talented but underachieving OL. They may sign a decent G and they are set, their OL will get much better.

They should re-sign Gash.

Re-structure Bledsoe.

Draft Reggie Williams and some other decent players and they are set.

If, in fact, Miami does want Rivers, it is not the Bills that are going to be looking at him. The Bills will probably take someone like Reggie Williams or Winslow to really help Bledsoe.

The only team that may prevent us from getting Rivers is San Diego.

Even more bad news for you guys that want rivers. Today on a local radio show, im Brinson was interviewing Mike Mularkey and Brinson asked Mularkey if the Bills would draft rivers 13th and Mularkey said "most definately" if he is still available. So there you go folks. Better get on the phone with the Jets if you want him.

Back
Top Bottom