Bills vs. Dolphins | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bills vs. Dolphins

Originally posted by CirclingWagons

you don't pay attention to the offseason much:rolleyes:

And until you prove it on the field, people will still consider you a passing team. That's just the way it goes CWs.

Originally posted by ckparrothead

This wasn't about comparing the Phins D to the Bills D. This was about how the Bills had talent in key areas on their defense yet couldn't put that together into even a MEDIOCRE defense. You got pro bowlers in Fletcher and Williams, and guys who Buffalo fans would swear are "just missing out" on the pro bowl in Nate Clements and Antoine Winfield at CB...and the defense was downright aweful.

So I'm just wondering, how does adding Takeo Spikes to that same D, automatically lift it to one of the best? Could it help? Sure it could and probably will. But what I'm saying is adding London Fletcher the year before didn't help the defense at all. The system and chemistry have to be there.

Without a pass rush your cb's will eventually get burned when the qb has all day to throw. Jason Taylor helped Surtain and co. by constantly pressuring the qb's to throw under pressure.

Fletcher, wasn't he like the have the 3rd most tackles in the league? This isn't because he's all that. This is because our DL was so bad that he ended up making tackles after a few gains.

Pat had the most tackles by a DL in the league despite getting doubled all season. However, when he gets doubled , the other DT wasn't there to make run stops.

All that means nothing when there is no pass rush and you can't flush the qb out of the pocket. Other than Pat and Shoebel there was nothing at our DL.

Now that Sam Adams is here , it's he who will command double teams freeing Pat and I doubt teams will have a lot of success running up the middle w/c means they will have to run outside to either Spikes or Posey.

Remember Eddie Robinson who got burned by Pennington? Chad won't be doing that against Spikes. This is why Spikes is here. Spikes may not have a lot of tackles but he is a play maker. If the Pat and Adams combo works, our lb's will be free to make plays.

I know you know your football when it come to the fins. Your knowledge about the bills is suspect however.

Our pass rush is suspect but if we improve this year, those scrambling qb's flushed out of the pocket won't be facing Eddie Robinson/Newman but Spikes/Posey on the outside.

Ask MD, he was at the Bills-Ravens game. He saw Spikes in action. In his own words "Spikes is as advertised"

Originally posted by justafan

Without a pass rush your cb's will eventually get burned when the qb has all day to throw. Jason Taylor helped Surtain and co. by constantly pressuring the qb's to throw under pressure.

Fletcher, wasn't he like the have the 3rd most tackles in the league? This isn't because he's all that. This is because our DL was so bad that he ended up making tackles after a few gains.

Pat had the most tackles by a DL in the league despite getting doubled all season. However, when he gets doubled , the other DT wasn't there to make run stops.

All that means nothing when there is no pass rush and you can't flush the qb out of the pocket. Other than Pat and Shoebel there was nothing at our DL.

Now that Sam Adams is here , it's he who will command double teams freeing Pat and I doubt teams will have a lot of success running up the middle w/c means they will have to run outside to either Spikes or Posey.

Remember Eddie Robinson who got burned by Pennington? Chad won't be doing that against Spikes. This is why Spikes is here. Spikes may not have a lot of tackles but he is a play maker. If the Pat and Adams combo works, our lb's will be free to make plays.

I know you know your football when it come to the fins. Your knowledge about the bills is suspect however.

Our pass rush is suspect but if we improve this year, those scrambling qb's flushed out of the pocket won't be facing Eddie Robinson/Newman but Spikes/Posey on the outside.

Ask MD, he was at the Bills-Ravens game. He saw Spikes in action. In his own words "Spikes is as advertised"

IMO, there are a couple of problems with the above:

1. Sam rarely occupies two blockers anymore, he certainly did not against the Fins when they faced him last year. If I am correct than your LB's will be tied up with the opposing O-line on rushing plays

2. As Kelsay may take a while to develop, the Bills pass rush will probably continue to be weak. This places undue pressure on a secondary with only one true star player.

3. Finally, personally attacking CK:

"I know you know your football when it come to the fins. Your knowledge about the bills is suspect however."

does nothing to strengthen your argument.

You attacked CK. You!!!!.............................

He will respond soon enough and make you look like a fool.

Awwww come on guys, that wasn't really an attack...

It may have been a double edged compliment, but it wasn't really an attack.

Originally posted by zachseau13

3. Finally, personally attacking CK:

"I know you know your football when it come to the fins. Your knowledge about the bills is suspect however."

What ? Are you serious ?:roflmao: If you can't argue whithout crying about it, get off a public forum, will ya! You are desperately trying to get me banned because you can't hang in there. :roflmao:

I doubt even CK would take personal insult to that statment. Get real. Geez.

A personal attack!!!! :lol: :roflmao:

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by Jaj
You attacked CK. You!!!!.............................

He will respond soon enough and make you look like a fool.

You know me so well. :lol:

Here's my take on the whole Buffalo-Dolphins situation. Be aware, this may be a long post.

First I'll talk about the receivers. Moulds is the best receiver from either team. Hands down. The loss of Price will hurt, if not for his good YPC, but for depth purposes also. Having Reed (and I liked Reed even in college) face #3 Cbs all year did help, kinda like what Chambers did his first year.(Where Chambers had better numbers than Reed) I believe Reed's numbers will not significantly improve for the fact that the higher competition will hurt him. But believe me when I say that he will be a damn good receiver by his fourth year. As for Chambers and Thompson, they are better than any Buffalo receiver who doesn't wear the #80. Shaw is a definate downgrade to Reed at the #3 receiver. A previous post stated that Buffalo threw the ball a lot more than Miami. This is beyond true. Miami only threw only 455 times to Buffalo's 612. Chambers was on pace for nearly 1100 yards until the infamous Bronco game. Saying Reed is as good as Chambers is ignorant...at least for now, maybe forever, maybe not. Hell Thompson may end up being our #1 if he keeps shining like he has. It wouldn't bother me a bit.

About Takeo Spikes. Flat out, the guy can play. He is a monster linebacker, and is right up there with Zach, but more athletic. (Not as good of a defensive field general, he does not call offensive plays like Zach does on nearly ever play) London Fletcher is a very solid MLB, but not in Zach's catagory. Buffalo gave up 4.5 YPC compared to Miami's 3.8, and Buffalo was rushed on 473 times compared to 407 with Miami. Enough to give him a few more tackles, especially for larger gains. Takeo Spikes will take away some of London's tackles, but also Buffalo's run YPC will be down to nearly 4. (Maybe a little lower, maybe a little higher, but it will be improved)

Buffalo's D Line does not touch Miami's other than Pat Williams. I love players like Pat Williams, but he cannot do it alone. Sam Adams will be decent, but not like everything some Buffalo fans are going to make him out to be. The Raiders had a better D-Line with a slimmer Sam Adams and Ricky still managed to get 100+ yards. He's starting material, but except maybe for Baltimore, he was not a vital cog to the Raiders going to the Superbowl. If you couldn't tell that it was the Raiders' O that got them there, you just aren't an intellegent fan.
Anyway, the Bills DE's are either projects or mediocre starters. They'd take Taylor or Ogunleye in a second to start for them. Bowens is a probowler and Chester is going to be improved this season. He is finally healthy, and was damn good in Carolina. (Got clips vs the Dolphins to prove it ;) )

Winfield and Clements are good CBS. Clements could go to the probowl if he got some more INTS.(Not off Ray Lucas or Jay Fiedler's first game back in a snowstorm with a flubbed pass) Winfield is a hitter (Much like Surtain, maybe even better) but is only an average-above average cover guy, which seperates him from the likes of Surtain. I'm just trying to be unbiased.

Miami's O is based on running the ball and passing when we need to. Gilbride unless he changes his tone this season is a pass happy O-Coordinator, which will be Bledsoe's downfall. Henry is a good back (If ran 20-30 times a game would most likely end up with 4.0-4.3 YPC.

Sam Gash is a sick blocker, but you will see Bledsoe take a few more sacks on third down with the loss of Larry Centers. Larry is the definition of third down save my *** back. What Gash will provide for the running game will be contrasted by your passing stats, especially on third down. You guys averaged 17 points per game over the last ten games of the year,(even including the scoring barrage you put up against up last year) and with the losses you guys took, you will definately need a more balanced attack.

I don't even know who your guys TE was but Riemersma was solid, and we all know that Bledsoe loves his TE. I don't know how much that will affect you, but I'm sure you guys wish you had the TE depth we have. ;)

I see the Bills closely followed by the Pats as the hardest team we'll face in the division, but the Bills better be damn afraid of us as well.
That's just the way I see it.

Originally posted by justafan

But Justa, right now Adams haven't shown anything, Spikes a hussler, but by himself, I don't think this d works. Tenn ran right up the gut, Spikes didn't play, but I don't think he stops that. He good for outside running. Plus the game I saw was against a suspect Raven's O, who didn't pull the guards as much as we do. Nails and Spikes will meet this year. Advantage Nails. Your D right now is playing vanilla, but not doing a very good job of it. I don't know about your D right now, you have a lot of pieces but haven't put it together yet. I'm not saying it won't happen, but right now in PS, your D is playing like last year. It may be the system or something, but the improvements one expected to see haven't been there yet. As I said on your board, it takes a while to for new guys to jell, I'm glad we're only inserting 2 new starters in our D, you guys are inserting 4. Plus you're still trying to find some decent DE's. By the 2nd half of the season, I expect to see your D improve. Right now, they seem to be trying to learn each other.

Originally posted by MDFINFAN

But Justa, right now Adams haven't shown anything, Spikes a hussler, but by himself, I don't think this d works. Tenn ran right up the gut, Spikes didn't play, but I don't think he stops that. He good for outside running. Plus the game I saw was against a suspect Raven's O, who didn't pull the guards as much as we do. Nails and Spikes will meet this year. Advantage Nails. Your D right now is playing vanilla, but not doing a very good job of it. I don't know about your D right now, you have a lot of pieces but haven't put it together yet. I'm not saying it won't happen, but right now in PS, your D is playing like last year. It may be the system or something, but the improvements one expected to see haven't been there yet. As I said on your board, it takes a while to for new guys to jell, I'm glad we're only inserting 2 new starters in our D, you guys are inserting 4. Plus you're still trying to find some decent DE's. By the 2nd half of the season, I expect to see your D improve. Right now, they seem to be trying to learn each other.

I know that whether or not Sam Adams pans out remains to be seen. He sure hasn't shown much in the preseason but he's been doing well at camp. Kinda like some people here saying Thompson is having a great camp but has barely shown anything in preseason games.

The only thing that makes me optimistic about Adams doing well (not great) is that he signed an incentive ladden contract. He does not perform , he barely gets anything.I'm not saying the bills runD will be the best. At this point in time anyone who says that is just smacking IMO. I'm just saying that compared to what we had last year, we will significantly be better.

Spikes compared to Eddie Robinson? No competition there. Fletcher won't have to cover Robinson's behind like he did last year w/ Spikes there.If Chemistry can be built early in the season, we can definitely have a very good D. I'm not worried about our defensive shemes, towards the end of last year, when our D was starting to get a grasp of GW's D our D gave up an average of 13 ppg w/ the talent we had.

Mind you, I am speaking from a potential stand point. On paper. I will not dare say we will have the best D in the AFCE even. So far IMO, the Pats followed by the fins and probably a tie between the Jets and the Bills in terms of D capability. This is my opinion for now. Can we be better than the fins? Maybe against the run, but we haven't shown anything as far as the pass rush is concerned therefore we may not be better than the fins.

I am quite optimistic our D will be way better than we were last year. Compared to the other teams, who knows really?

Originally posted by Dolfan984
Here's my take on the whole Buffalo-Dolphins situation. Be aware, this may be a long post.

First I'll talk about the receivers. Moulds is the best receiver from either team. Hands down. The loss of Price will hurt, if not for his good YPC, but for depth purposes also. Having Reed (and I liked Reed even in college) face #3 Cbs all year did help, kinda like what Chambers did his first year.(Where Chambers had better numbers than Reed) I believe Reed's numbers will not significantly improve for the fact that the higher competition will hurt him. But believe me when I say that he will be a damn good receiver by his fourth year. As for Chambers and Thompson, they are better than any Buffalo receiver who doesn't wear the #80. Shaw is a definate downgrade to Reed at the #3 receiver. A previous post stated that Buffalo threw the ball a lot more than Miami. This is beyond true. Miami only threw only 455 times to Buffalo's 612. Chambers was on pace for nearly 1100 yards until the infamous Bronco game. Saying Reed is as good as Chambers is ignorant...at least for now, maybe forever, maybe not. Hell Thompson may end up being our #1 if he keeps shining like he has. It wouldn't bother me a bit.

About Takeo Spikes. Flat out, the guy can play. He is a monster linebacker, and is right up there with Zach, but more athletic. (Not as good of a defensive field general, he does not call offensive plays like Zach does on nearly ever play) London Fletcher is a very solid MLB, but not in Zach's catagory. Buffalo gave up 4.5 YPC compared to Miami's 3.8, and Buffalo was rushed on 473 times compared to 407 with Miami. Enough to give him a few more tackles, especially for larger gains. Takeo Spikes will take away some of London's tackles, but also Buffalo's run YPC will be down to nearly 4. (Maybe a little lower, maybe a little higher, but it will be improved)

Buffalo's D Line does not touch Miami's other than Pat Williams. I love players like Pat Williams, but he cannot do it alone. Sam Adams will be decent, but not like everything some Buffalo fans are going to make him out to be. The Raiders had a better D-Line with a slimmer Sam Adams and Ricky still managed to get 100+ yards. He's starting material, but except maybe for Baltimore, he was not a vital cog to the Raiders going to the Superbowl. If you couldn't tell that it was the Raiders' O that got them there, you just aren't an intellegent fan.
Anyway, the Bills DE's are either projects or mediocre starters. They'd take Taylor or Ogunleye in a second to start for them. Bowens is a probowler and Chester is going to be improved this season. He is finally healthy, and was damn good in Carolina. (Got clips vs the Dolphins to prove it ;) )

Winfield and Clements are good CBS. Clements could go to the probowl if he got some more INTS.(Not off Ray Lucas or Jay Fiedler's first game back in a snowstorm with a flubbed pass) Winfield is a hitter (Much like Surtain, maybe even better) but is only an average-above average cover guy, which seperates him from the likes of Surtain. I'm just trying to be unbiased.

Miami's O is based on running the ball and passing when we need to. Gilbride unless he changes his tone this season is a pass happy O-Coordinator, which will be Bledsoe's downfall. Henry is a good back (If ran 20-30 times a game would most likely end up with 4.0-4.3 YPC.

Sam Gash is a sick blocker, but you will see Bledsoe take a few more sacks on third down with the loss of Larry Centers. Larry is the definition of third down save my *** back. What Gash will provide for the running game will be contrasted by your passing stats, especially on third down. You guys averaged 17 points per game over the last ten games of the year,(even including the scoring barrage you put up against up last year) and with the losses you guys took, you will definately need a more balanced attack.

I don't even know who your guys TE was but Riemersma was solid, and we all know that Bledsoe loves his TE. I don't know how much that will affect you, but I'm sure you guys wish you had the TE depth we have. ;)

I see the Bills closely followed by the Pats as the hardest team we'll face in the division, but the Bills better be damn afraid of us as well.
That's just the way I see it.

I agree with alot that you say Dolfan, but i would like to add that individual stats only mean a certain aspect of the game. The team defensive structure and coaching and matchups ect. mean so much more. I just dont feel that Sam Adams will contirbute in this defense as much as Bills fans think. I think overrall they obviously have made improvements and nate clements is underrated at this point as far as being the star on that D. takeo is the star and has proved nothing to me. I will check him out against the Pats very closely. We will see how ready he is to be called the best. Takeo will face different teams in this division with different schemes. Its the intangibles that can make a player overrated or underrated.

Oh yeah, matchups are everything, even if they don't make sense.

Why did Moulds and Coles beat our *** whenever we faced them but we shut down nearly every other receiver in the league? Probably because they've played us so much.

As for the Pats D, weren't they horrible against the run last year? I dunno if they've improved THAT much.

I haven't heard Spikes name in a couple of years. Maybe it'll change, maybe not. Rickey isn't worried about him or Adams.

Back
Top Bottom