Bills Won't Break Bank to re-sign Clements | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bills Won't Break Bank to re-sign Clements

We won't get him, We'll probably take a CB in the draft since Asante is off the table.

i don't see all the buzz surrounding this guy. he was aweful in 05. not so sure abouy this year though. he falls into the deangelo hall category lots of talent and prestige but little on the field. as a matter of fact the stats show him in the bottom 3rd of dbs for 05 right around where d'hall was.

BillsFanInPeace said:
I will tell you one thing too. The Bills have all but said good-bye to Nate and Fletcher. during Marvs presser last week he mentioned they are going with a Cash to Cap idea. Saying if they sign a player the entire signing bonus will be accelerated into this years hig cap space. Totally eliminating the number from future cap numbers. Then that way FA can get cut without taking a cap hit, after this year. So that spells doom for Nate.

And then mentioned he wants Attacking LBs instead of persueing ones like Fletch is.

I put the article on "cash to the cap" up on the NFL forum if you want to read it. There's a philosophy behind it which seems to work for a number of successful teams, and it might be something that the Fins current FO buys into, too, now that Saban is history. It's sort of the opposite of the "win now" philosophy that governs the Deadskins and seemed to be Saban's plan.

I put the article on "cash to the cap" up on the NFL forum if you want to read it. There's a philosophy behind it which seems to work for a number of successful teams, and it might be something that the Fins current FO buys into, too, now that Saban is history. It's sort of the opposite of the "win now" philosophy that governs the Deadskins and seemed to be Saban's plan.

I like the whole idea, I have been fighting it alot on Bills Forums. But I like the Idea of freeing up money to sign the players you draft instead of getting overpayed stopgaps. Which is still allows just suck up the hit on the first year, frees you up to cut later with no penalty

Tone_E said:
But really with the cuts of Big Daddy and such, we can clear some cap space, and build cheaply through the draft now that we actually have some picks.

Really, with the exception of OL, what other glaring needs do we have that can't be adressed in the draft? OLB maybe? Thats it.

I'm not sure what the Fins' cap number is, but it's significantly less than the Bills', so if the Bills think Clements is too expensive, where does that leave the Fins?

Miami also has alot of holes.

First off, there's a question of who's the starting QB?

OL does not come cheap, and the Fins need major upgrades. There are a couple of nice guards out there, and the Fins could use at least a RG unless there's a decent C available. Then the Fins might do better to grab him and move Hadnot back to RG where he did well as rookie. LT is going to kill your team! A decent LT will make Jeno James much better! Macintosh doesn't cut it, and there's nobody out there worth much. Mike Gandy might be available if the Bills don't re-sign as a LG. If he wants LT money, even modest, LT money, he's all yours, but a word of warning. He's a decent guard but not very good as a tackle!

Third, the age of key defensive players like Jason Taylor and Zach Thomas needs to be addressed. These guys are on the "wrong side of 30", and sometimes players lose that step very quickly. It would probably be better for the Fins to invest in a good, young DE/LB (like Taylor) or LB (like Thomas) than spend all their cap $$$ on a CB. A good pass rush can hide a lot of smoke and mirrors in the secondary -- as the Fins demonstrated last season.

I think we should bid for his services to drive his price up...if we can't afford him, then hurt whoever can as bad as possible

I would really love to have this guy in our secondary, but we probably won't ever see him due to money issues. The next best thing is for him to go to the NFC, far away from us. :D

Doesn't everyone want to be the highest paid CB in the NFL? I do.

It's just hilarious that he thinks he might DESERVE it.

Unfortunately, due to Samuels being tagged Clements is by far and away the best available cornerback, and will command stupid amounts of money. We simply won't be able to afford him.

And he won't be worth anywhere near the amount of money he'll be asking for.
Whatever team overpays him will make the same mistake countless other teams have made with FA's and screw up their cap structure. Those teams usually don't make the playoffs.

If Clements is attainable for the Dolphins, I say go for it... After all this guy is a Dolphin Killer... Maybe Miami can use him a dual threat -- Put him at offense, He does like catching passes from Phins QBs.... Just a thought

I think Clements could be a 49er this season. With their cap room and strong need for a CB, it's very likely they will be after Clements.

Name all the FAs you can who were billed as "top-20 Free Agents of 200_" and performed to their contracts.

Now, name all the same who didn't.

That's a problem.

Back
Top Bottom