Blanket Coverage: Sorry Adam Gase, even you can't fix Ryan Tannehill | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Blanket Coverage: Sorry Adam Gase, even you can't fix Ryan Tannehill

ciscoholgate

Winning is a Habit
Reaction score
Greg A. Bedard

Joe Philbin went through it for three-plus seasons. Now it’s Adam Gase’s turn.

Call it the Three Stages of (Ryan) Tannehill.

First comes the honeymoon phase. You see Tannehill's size (6-4, 216 pounds), arm strength, athletic ability and his quick motion, and dream about the future and all that as a coach you can accomplish with him. No huddle. Zone read. Play-action bombs. It all seems possible.

In the second stage, the actual games start and things just don’t work out as you envisioned. Something is missing, and the offense flounders. You say to yourself, “Ryan has all these gifts, it can’t be him.” So you find excuses on film—struggles by the offensive line, inconsistent drops from the receivers. “We need to play better around him, it’s not all Ryan’s fault, he’s our guy,” you finally declare.

The third stage is when reality sets in: Tannehill, for all his talents, just doesn’t have the instincts for the position. If they ever come, it will be later in his career like a Rich Gannon. But you won’t be around to see it.

It only took five games but Gase is already in full-blown Stage 2 mode and the prognosis isn’t good.

FULL STORY: http://www.si.com/nfl/2016/10/13/ryan-tannehill-adam-gase-dolphins

5 games into his time here and we've already figured him out...

Ok

4th, we still have a below average O-Line that is even worse due to injury year in and year out. I mean use some common sense, there is more than one reoccurring theme here than Tannehill! I am not saying he doesn't need to play better but you put 95% of the QBs in this league or any other league in the same situations Tannehill has faced and they would have done no better, would not have thrown for over 4000 yards back to back seasons with a 2-1 TD to Int rate and frankly would not still be standing!

Better quarterbacks have had worse OLs and WRs than we've had and still produce. I've always been enamoured with Tannehills size and arm strength, but his pocket awareness has always been his biggest issue. He hasn't improved on it since he came into the NFL and it's holding him back. His awareness in the pocket leads to more sacks and extra hits that he shouldn't be taking. Tipped passes are due to his inability to move in the pocket and find his throwing lanes. I don't see him fixing that issue this year and the question is how long do you want to wait until he finally comes around (if he ever does)?

Wi
Better quarterbacks have had worse OLs and WRs than we've had and still produce. I've always been enamoured with Tannehills size and arm strength, but his pocket awareness has always been his biggest issue. He hasn't improved on it since he came into the NFL and it's holding him back. His awareness in the pocket leads to more sacks and extra hits that he shouldn't be taking. Tipped passes are due to his inability to move in the pocket and find his throwing lanes. I don't see him fixing that issue this year and the question is how long do you want to wait until he finally comes around (if he ever does)?

Which QB had had a worse line than what Tannehill had Sunday and produced ? Me personally , I've never seen a worse o line step onto a field on Sunday so I have no idea what you're talking about . Only qb that has had an awful line and already missed a year due to injury is Andrew Luck . I can't really think of those so called " worse lines " .

You'd be hard pressed to name a line worse than what the Dolphins have put on the field . It's not about what's on paper it's about who plays Sunday's .

Sure , we have Pouncey Albert and Tunsil . Do they ever play together ? Nope . so I don't even consider That our line

Wi

Which QB had had a worse line than what Tannehill had Sunday and produced ? Me personally , I've never seen a worse o line step onto a field on Sunday so I have no idea what you're talking about . Only qb that has had an awful line and already missed a year due to injury is Andrew Luck . I can't really think of those so called " worse lines " .

You'd be hard pressed to name a line worse than what the Dolphins have put on the field . It's not about what's on paper it's about who plays Sunday's .

Sure , we have Pouncey Albert and Tunsil . Do they ever play together ? Nope . so I don't even consider That our line

Russell Wilson has a OL that is bottom 1/3 in the league this year and has a 99 QB rating and 5 TD and 1 INT. He produces every year with an average (at best) to below average (most his career) OL every year.

4th, we still have a below average O-Line that is even worse due to injury year in and year out. I mean use some common sense, there is more than one reoccurring theme here than Tannehill! I am not saying he doesn't need to play better but you put 95% of the QBs in this league or any other league in the same situations Tannehill has faced and they would have done no better, would not have thrown for over 4000 yards back to back seasons with a 2-1 TD to Int rate and frankly would not still be standing!

I heard the same O-Line excuses when we had Chad Henne.

What an idiot Betard is...

I wonder if he can name one area of problems that were fixed. It's the same reasons because NOTHING has changed!

Interesting that this sounds a lot what other posters on here have been saying for a couple of years...I spent a lot of time in stage two, but I just can't ignore the complete lack of football awareness or instincts. If the fans see it, the media sees it...then there has to be something to it.

Russell Wilson has a OL that is bottom 1/3 in the league this year and has a 99 QB rating and 5 TD and 1 INT. He produces every year with an average (at best) to below average (most his career) OL every year.

Well Russel Wilson is ELITE, I dont think anyone is saying Tannehill is elite. The issue people keep forgetting is who the hell is a viable option that is clearly better than Ryan? Ryan can be good with a good line that helps mask his deficiency (no pocket presence) and receivers that actually create separation. Right now we have the worst of both worlds colliding. I am all for drafting a QB next year, and I would have been the last few yrs as well as insurance. Problem is idk who were gonna find that will actually be better than tannehill...the fans are angry I get it, but outside of a top 5 qb i dont see any other qbs having much success with this team. Especially w teams only rushing 4 and still getting pressure leading to no one open, no run game, no blocking.

Greg A. Bedard

Joe Philbin went through it for three-plus seasons. Now it’s Adam Gase’s turn.

Call it the Three Stages of (Ryan) Tannehill.

First comes the honeymoon phase. You see Tannehill's size (6-4, 216 pounds), arm strength, athletic ability and his quick motion, and dream about the future and all that as a coach you can accomplish with him. No huddle. Zone read. Play-action bombs. It all seems possible.

In the second stage, the actual games start and things just don’t work out as you envisioned. Something is missing, and the offense flounders. You say to yourself, “Ryan has all these gifts, it can’t be him.” So you find excuses on film—struggles by the offensive line, inconsistent drops from the receivers. “We need to play better around him, it’s not all Ryan’s fault, he’s our guy,” you finally declare.

The third stage is when reality sets in: Tannehill, for all his talents, just doesn’t have the instincts for the position. If they ever come, it will be later in his career like a Rich Gannon. But you won’t be around to see it.

It only took five games but Gase is already in full-blown Stage 2 mode and the prognosis isn’t good.

FULL STORY: http://www.si.com/nfl/2016/10/13/ryan-tannehill-adam-gase-dolphins

Yea, well let us actually give him a consistent O-line, and let us put that "Sorry Adam Gase, even you can't fix Ryan Tannehill." opinion to the test. :err:

Kind of amazing, since the O-line started losing linemen that were playing well, Tannehills production has also started going down. :ponder:

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent article, tell it like it is. He's gotten so many coaches, managers, and players fired. He needs to go himself, plain and simple.

Yea, well let us actually give him a consistent O-line, and let us put that "Sorry Adam Gase, even you can't fix Ryan Tannehill." opinion to the test. :err:

Kind of amazing, since the O-line started losing linemen that were playing well, Tannehills production has also started going down. :ponder:

Tannehill needs to help his OL out as well. He hasn't done that his entire career (yet). He's a part of the reason for the amount of sacks he takes and the amount of batted passes he has had. I would love if Tannehill could finally come around, but he's in year five. How much longer are we all willing to wait to see him fully develop? Or at least develop enough to help get his team wins when the defense struggles or the run game dwindles, you know the things that the good QBs can do.

The best quarterbacks in the game have an innate feel for the rush and can make subtle movements in the pocket to help his line and receivers. Tannehill possesses neither of those important tangibles, and it’s his biggest barrier in projecting future improvement.

It hasn't changed in 4+ years

Back
Top Bottom