Bo Nix | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bo Nix

Bo Nix was PFF's top-graded QB under pressure in 2023. This illustrates part of it - 2nd in completion-rate, a healthy scramble rate - but the other part is that his pressure-to-sack rate was absurdly low - lower than Richardson's last year.

So, you have a guy who makes very few negative plays (sacks, INT's, fumbles) and a guy who can vary trajectory, make plays out of structure, and has good arm talent. Idk lot to like.

Bo Nix was PFF's top-graded QB under pressure in 2023. This illustrates part of it - 2nd in completion-rate, a healthy scramble rate - but the other part is that his pressure-to-sack rate was absurdly low - lower than Richardson's last year.

So, you have a guy who makes very few negative plays (sacks, INT's, fumbles) and a guy who can vary trajectory, make plays out of structure, and has good arm talent. Idk lot to like.

That's the problem with Bo Nix, you cannot rely on his production at Oregon, it was wacky. Same with Zach Wilson, albeit in lesser conference. Tua was like that too. A lot of the numbers are system numbers, it's not his skill producing those.

Think Nix will be a surprise for someone. Crazy accurate, strong arm, smart (academic all American), and can run. My only concern with him is after the second read and slightly under ideal height. Operated a good system at Oregon. But does have the smarts, arm, and the legs to correct or help that in any offence. Feel like the donkeys, aints, or raiders will draft him in round one.

Last edited:
That's the problem with Bo Nix, you cannot rely on his production at Oregon, it was wacky. Same with Zach Wilson, albeit in lesser conference. Tua was like that too. A lot of the numbers are system numbers, it's not his skill producing those.

I think it's hard for a system to produce under-pressure numbers for a QB.

Think Nix will be a surprise for someone. Crazy accurate, strong arm, smart (academic all American), and can run. My only concern with him is after the second read and slightly under ideal height. Operated a good system at Oregon. But does have the smarts, arm, and the legs to correct or help that in any offence. Feel like the donkeys, aints, or raiders will draft him in round one.

Quick, compact release, too. His command of the pocket is about as good as it gets at the college level. There was a play vs Washington where an Edge came unblocked, and Nix stepped up (rather than trying to retreat and run around like so many QB's), and calmly through a dart over the middle.

He makes so few bad plays (the fewest bad plays of any QB in this class by a mile), because he plays with answers. He's extremely poised, because he has answers. Football is a game of a million problems and scenarios, and the best players have the most answers.

Patrick Mahomes is not as physically talented as Josh Allen and Justin Herbert. He obviously has plenty of physical gifts, but they're the cherry on top. He's better than everyone else and on his own tier because he has the most answers.

Same can be said for Purdy, except his answers usually run out due to physical limitations. Nix is not as gifted as Mahomes but much more gifted than Purdy. Physically, he's kind of like Dak, but I think Nix has quicker feet and a bigger arm.

Nix is starting to grow on me.

I have him as QB 4 in this class and I think he will go in the 1st half of R1.

Minnesota, Denver, Vegas are 11-13, he makes sense for any of them.

I really don’t care for Nix. He is check down Charlie. Intermediate and deep balls are inaccurate.

I really don’t care for Nix. He is check down Charlie. Intermediate and deep balls are inaccurate.

I think his accuracy stacks up with all but a few recent QB prospects (Tua, Burrow, Young, and Stroud come to mind), and usually he only hits the check down when he's making a play with his legs. He'll throw it short vs the blitz, but I'd say those are usually hots - rather than check downs.

He's not super aggressive - I agree there. But, I don't think that's negative. Just like I don't think it's a negative that Tua is super aggressive. There are different ways to win, and as long as you're finding winning answers, you're going to be valuable.

I think coaches and OC's will love him, because he completes the ball at a really high rate and takes negative plays at one of the lowest rates we've seen, and he can make a play with his legs when things break down. Can't play a lot of 2-man vs him. Good enough speed but excel quickness and change of direction.

Maybe I'm off, but I think he's going to have more answers and ways to win than most rookie QB's.

I have some stats that back up what Kebo is saying and what I'm saying - these ranks are all relative to Williams, Maye, Daniels, Nix, McCarthy, and Penix. These are all 2023 stats.

For Kebo's point:

Of the group, Nix ranks last in big-time throw % (4.1 for Nix - Maye has the highest at 7.5).

For my point:

Despite being last in BTT%, Nix is 2nd in YPA (9.5 - Daniels is 1st at 11.5).

Nix is tied (with Penix) for 1st is Pressure-to-sack rate (7.6% - 3rd is McCarthy at 16.8%).

Nix is 1st in PFF grade when pressured (91.2 - McCarthy is 2nd at 72.9).

For both Kebo and my points:

Nix is 1st in adjusted completion % (85.4 - McCarthy is 2nd at 80.0).

Nix is 1st in TD/INT ratio (45/3 - 2nd is Daniels at 40/4).

Tua at 40 million per year or Nix at 5 million per year. Which is more appealing?

Back
Top Bottom