Bonds Ties Ruth at 714 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bonds Ties Ruth at 714

Roman529

Moon Runner / The 3 AM Crew
Reaction score
OAKLAND, Calif. (AP) -- Barry Bonds tied Babe Ruth for second place on the career home run list Saturday with his 714th homer, a solo shot into the right-field seats leading off the second inning. The 41-year-old Bonds hadn't homered in nine games -- a stretch of 29 at-bats -- since hitting No. 713 with a 450-foot drive May 7 in Philadelphia. His teenage son, Nikolai, a Giants bat boy, was waiting for him at home plate and they embraced.

No matter the controversy he still a good hitter.

I miss the days when he was a skinny leadoff hitter before he was a 'roid machine.

Anywho, it took Barry Bonds almost 1000 more at bats to hit 714 than Ruth did...plus Ruth played in the dead ball era....and the 'roids. Pshaw.

LightsOut said:
ruth didn't have to face blacks either. *

? He still had to hit good pitching.

baseball isn't what it used to be anyway. I gave up after the strike in 94.

RobFins2005 said:
I miss the days when he was a skinny leadoff hitter before he was a 'roid machine.

Anywho, it took Barry Bonds almost 1000 more at bats to hit 714 than Ruth did...plus Ruth played in the dead ball era....and the 'roids. Pshaw.

:rolleyes2 Don't try and take away from the accomplishment Bonds just achieved.

Prime Time said:
:rolleyes2 Don't try and take away from the accomplishment Bonds just achieved.

I'll do whatever I want.

As far as steroids are concerned in regular society, I couldn't give a flip--if people want to put stuff in their bodies, let them...the war on drugs is a joke.

However, I do have a problem in that it gave Bonds a competitive advantage that the two players on the HR list ahead of him didn't have. And while I think the government should have taken to more pressing matters than "steroids in baseball"...sorry, I'm not impressed, and no Bonds homer fan is going to change my mind on that.

Yes, I know it has not been officially proved, but the main reason for that is because Bonds is a celebrity who can afford good lawyers. The evidence against him is overwhelming.

He was a good power hitter even before he 'allegedly' took steroids, no doubt--but he was more a 29-34 home run hitter. Hell, he was a LEADOFF HITTER early in his career. The first time he even eclipsed 40 was when he joined the Giants. And I'm not going to buy an aging player, who has never hit 50 home runs in a system, suddenly hits 73, then never eclipses 49 again.

Bonds can eat a dick. A good ballplayer, but he was no Ruth. Ruth was an SOB as a person, but at least he wasn't juiced. Well, except to Jeff Kent.

unifiedtheory said:
The only thing I care about is that he hit it off my team to tie the game...

:sidelol:

I'm just mad that it pre-empted the women's volleyball match.

Back
Top Bottom