Bonds Ties Ruth at 714 | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bonds Ties Ruth at 714

Alex22 said:
Difference is people in the 60's and 70's didnt start off the size of a peanut and end up as a watermelon

Look at Barry's body when he first came in compared to now, he is AT LEAST 3 times the size he was then, probally more

Sports should have no room for cheaters, get him outta there

He hit the weight room. Back in Ruth's day they didnt have weight rooms. He armcurled hot dogs and beer to become the athelete he was

adamprez2003 said:
He hit the weight room. Back in Ruth's day they didnt have weight rooms. He armcurled hot dogs and beer to become the athelete he was

Uh, I know your post was somewhat in jest, but they had gymnasiums back in Ruth's day, weightlifting goes back to the 19th century, and yes, Bonds hit the weight room, supplemented by ample doses of the cream and the clear.

Give me a flipping break. Only the most naive person on the planet would believe a simple weight room would make a guy balloon in size that fast.

PressCoverage said:
what does "just about guarantee" mean, exactly?

anyhow, everybody in baseball in the 60s and 70s were on amphetamines? amazing! could you provide a bit more there, and perhaps more convincing evidence about the hammer being on them than just guilt by association?

This is a message board, nobody ever has to prove anything, it's fact once it hits the keyboard.

90% of all baseball players eat Cheerios laced with heroin.

adamprez2003 said:
Didnt he admit to them in his bio?

You might want to actually cite your sources more specifically.

Besides, I never even brought Aaron into this. He took a million more at bats than Ruth to break his record.

Amphetamines are just now going to be tested for in baseball. They have been part of the sport for the last 50 years. Estimates are from 60% to 80% of the players use them on occasion or regularly. Ruth was known to use a corked bat. My point is who cares. Bonds may have been on steroids but so were the pitchers he was facing. It all evens out in the end. I dont see why Bonds records should be questioned. I think the fact that he was facing poorer pitching due to the dilution of talent by adding teams to the league had more to do with his totals than the roids and if he was taking something that wasnt banned at the time who cares. Is bonds on roids worse than Aaron on greenies or Ruth with a corked bat?

In the echelon of players to have ever played I still rank Ruth as the greatest ever. Consider what an amazing pitcher he was early on and no other player compares IMO. Aaron to me loses something for padding his stats in Atlanta, notoriously an easy place to hit homers. What's impressive though is he was able to get great numbers in the old milwaukee park which was a cavern. remember bonds hits in san fran which isnt a homer friendly park and he doesnt have lou gehrig behind him protecting him. how many times has he been intentionally walked?

in the end its how you dominate the game in your era and bonds has done that well enough in his era that he should be compared to the greats.

Here's what Caminiti told SI about greenies: "I would say there are only a couple of guys on a team that don't take greenies before a game. One or two guys. That's called going out there naked. And you hear it all the time from teammates, 'You're not going to play naked, are you?' And even the guys who are against greenies may be taking diet pills or popping 25 caffeine pills and they're up there [at bat] with their hands shaking. So how good is that? This game is so whacked out that guys will take anything to get an edge. You got a pill that will make me feel better? Let me have it."
Former outfielder Chad Curtis agreed with Caminiti: "You might have one team where eight guys play naked and another team where nobody does, but that sounds about right. Steroids are popular, but quite a lot more guys take [amphetamines] than steroids. I'm talking about illegal stuff. Speed ... ritalin, which is legal only with a doctor's prescription ... sometimes guys don't even know what they're taking. One guy will take some pills out of his locker and tell somebody else, 'Here, take one of these. You'll feel better.' And the other guy will take it and not even know what it is."
Curtis added that amphetamine use is so prevalent that non-users are sometimes ostracized as slackers.
"If the starting pitcher knows you're going out there naked, he's upset that you're not giving him more than what you can," Curtis said. "The big-time pitcher wants to make sure you're beaning up before the game tonight."
An AL manager told me last month greenies are so prevalent with old and young players alike that baseball would have to shorten the season if they banned them.

RobFins2005 said:
I miss the days when he was a skinny leadoff hitter before he was a 'roid machine.

so you think hes been taking steriods since 93? hes been the best player in the game since he joined the Giants. Theres no books saying he took steriods 13 years ago.

You know Curt Schilling is regarded as a hero for pitching in the world series on his bum ankle. of course noone ever says he should have an asterik on his game because he had to take pain killers to play. isnt that the definition of performance enhancing?

RobFins2005 said:
You might want to actually cite your sources more specifically.

Besides, I never even brought Aaron into this. He took a million more at bats than Ruth to break his record.

From I Had A hammer: The Hank Aaron Story by Hank Aaron with Lonnie Wheeler
"Actually the 1968 season wasn't the best time to present my case. It was the first time since my rookie year that I didn't drive in or scored 100 runs. I was so frustrated that at one point I tried using a greenie that one of my teamates gave me.

adamprez2003 said:
You know Curt Schilling is regarded as a hero for pitching in the world series on his bum ankle. of course noone ever says he should have an asterik on his game because he had to take pain killers to play. isnt that the definition of performance enhancing?

We comparing ibuprofen to amphetamines and steroids now?

Fans, players express admiration and trepidation

Tyler Snyder caught Barry Bonds' 714th homer on the fly Saturday, snagging it cleanly with his glove. The people around the 19-year-old Athletics fan cheered wildly, with nobody assaulting or gouging him.

Bonds got a standing ovation from the Bay Area's forgiving faithful -- and then Snyder got to speak the minds of millions of baseball lovers who see Bonds as the game's greatest antihero.

"I hate that guy," Snyder told reporters before he was whisked away. "I don't really care for the guy."

But Snyder's perfect catch was a rare moment of grace in this ragged, tainted quest for baseball immortality by Bonds, who ended a nine-game homer drought with a second-inning solo shot for the San Francisco Giants.

Fans stood and applauded, and Bonds' peers acknowledged another milestone.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/baseball/mlb/05/20/bonds.reaction.ap/index.html

adamprez2003 said:

Um, No.

I've taken painkillers before, and they don't "enhance" anything, they just numb you to pain for the most part. And believe me, if anything, they'd probably prevent you from reaching your potential because it overrelaxes you a bit.

adamprez2003 said:

So I guess oragel toothache stuff is performance enhancing?

i hope he gets the "record" soon so we can stop talking about him. individual records should not take precedent over the actual outcomes of games. funny how ESPN glorifies this but makes a big deal when someone like owens individualizes himself.

Back
Top Bottom