Booker good fit in new offense | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Booker good fit in new offense

Jaj said:
If Boston had played this year he probably would have had atleast Chris Chambers numbers. I wonder who Ogunleye would have been dealt for :confused:
Good question. If we still traded with Chicago, I'm guessing that we would either have tried on getting a higher draft pick... or stocked up on draft picks possibly. But I'm guessing that we would have found a new suitor and went in a entire different direction elsewhere. There's always the chance that Wanny could have decided on ending up keeping Ogunleye and overpaying him much like Chicago did. I would think (or at least hope) that we had a few back-up plans in mind. To be perfectly honest, getting Booker was a total shock to me, though do I not regret it.

Jaj said:
He has very good quickness and he doesn't have average speed, it's a bit better than that. He knows how to get open. Better reason to get excited about him than J.R. Tolver a couple years back.

Well, I disagree with that, he runs a 4.51 which IMO is average for an NFL WR. He is quick, but if he won't go over the middle how is that going to help? He also double catches and I've seen some of his games, he doesn't have great leaping skills.

He's basically average-solid in everything, which means he'll have a hard time making it in the NFL. To make it in the NFL, you need at least one elite skill and Davis doesn't have that.

I like Booker's size and hand in our offense this year. He could be the perfect safety net for Feeley/Frerotte underneath and could actually make some plays after the catch.

He also is a solid blocker, so maybe with a new running game we'll see some long runs this year.

PhinDude88 said:
Dolphins | Defining Booker's Fit - from www.KFFL.com
Sun, 15 May 2005 13:37:12 -0700

Jason Cole, reports for the Sporting News, Miami Dolphins WR Marty Booker should be an interesting fit in offensive coordinator Scott Linehan's new offense. Booker is a really good run-after-the-catch receiver who is best when getting the ball on the move. While Linehan's offense puts a premium on the deep ball, Booker could become the guy who runs the drag routes underneath the coverage as the outlet wide receiver.

That would be a perfect fit for him.I never thought hew was the equivalent of a first round receiver as some on this MB would have you beleive to justify the Ogun trade but he could be very effective if he was used that way.

first&goal said:
I agree with you, what about Kendall Newsom? still with us? he was pretty good in preseason, before got injured.

It's Newson, and yes he's still on the roster. Hopefully he comes off his Achilles injury like Marino did in that Patriots game.

Last week I wrote in a thread concerning Offensive MVP predictions that I felt Booker would win the award for the fish. I know his numbers were not great last season, and were in decline his last two years in Chicago, but I really feel he is going to step it up this year. Linehan's O will give him plenty of opportunities. I know this is a very bold precition, especially given the performance last year, but I think this Offense is really going to click this year, and could be one of the best O's in the AFC. The talent is definitely there (more talent then our D), and with better coaching (especially Houck) I think our performance is going to shock a lot of people.

I also like Booker a good deal.

People tend to forget he's a pro-bowl receiver. He simply didn't get the ball much last season because of our poor o-line play AND qb play.

some stats for you:
G REC YRDS YPG APC 100ygames TDS
2001 CHI 16 100 1071 66.9 10.7 2 8
2002 CHI 16 97 1183 73.9 12.2 3 6
2003 CHI 13 52 715 55.0 13.8 1 4

he was hurt in 2003 but when he became a full time starter (in 2001) he put very good #s. In 2002, he made the probowl.

We've talked about underrated players on this team...I think he's one of them.

EDIT --sorry I didn't realize that the stats would be cramed that close together.

I have always thought Booker was a good hands guy who could run well after the catch. I am glad he is going to be used in the right way to help the Fins. What about Bellamy, why has everybody written him off? I think he is a good reciever and could be #4.

Yeah, I don't get how anybody thought Booker's stats were in decline his last two years with the Bears. For one, they went *up* in 2002. 2003 was lost to the type of high ankle sprain that ruined the 1999 season for Terrell Owens (he went from 1097 yards in 1998 to 754 yards in 1999 -- so similar it's eery). Booker kicked the injury at the end of the season and averaged 83 yards per game over the last four contests.

I know I'm in the minority here, but I have been excited about getting Booker from the start. I think he's the perfect compliment to Chambers, and it makes the most sense to me to use Booker as the #1 receiver with Chambers as the second option who stretches the field. It is with this in mind that I see Booker getting a TON of yards this season (perhaps over his high of 1183) and Chambers getting fewer balls but a higher average per catch and more TDs.

i hope booker has adjusted to life in miami. im sure his emotional state played a big role in his slow year as well

Jimmy James said:
I know I'm in the minority here, but I have been excited about getting Booker from the start. I think he's the perfect compliment to Chambers, and it makes the most sense to me to use Booker as the #1 receiver with Chambers as the second option who stretches the field. It is with this in mind that I see Booker getting a TON of yards this season (perhaps over his high of 1183) and Chambers getting fewer balls but a higher average per catch and more TDs.

I appreciate the optimisim and all but even with Booker as the #1, saying he'll eclipse his career high is a stretch, considering the big question mark at QB. I would be in complete argreement otherwise.

If Booker has gotten over the trade I think he will be very successful here. Does anyone know if he moved his family to Miami? I remember that being a major concern for him last year. He just never really seemed like his heart was in it.

That is one thing AJ does need to worry about is accuracy. He could thread a needle.

Back
Top Bottom