Boston Globe - Ross Wanted To Trade Down To Save Money | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Boston Globe - Ross Wanted To Trade Down To Save Money

Ross gets it.

I’d bet money he wanted Lamar Jackson which signals he actually cares about the future of the team whereas Tannenbaum and Gase are looking at the present in an attempt to try to save their asses.

Whether you think LJ is legit or not is irrelevant, the process of getting a QB you think can be special for your team is always the top need.

Trading down, grabbing a safety net and potential lightning rod for your organization at QB . . . All while gaining an extra pick or two is a very smart way to run your organization, especially with an uncertainty in Tannehill.

As much as I like Minkah Fitzpatrick, I think it is rather foolish to put all the eggs in the Tannehill basket, with Petty, Osweiller and Fales behind.

I also think if anything happens with Ryan, the entire regime is gone . . . And you know what, its probably for the best.
Ross is a pretty smart, self-made guy in one of the most competitive businesses in the most competitive city in the nation. He's also endowed a graduate school at one of the more intellectually-demanding universities. Long way of saying that he strikes me as someone who values intelligence. I think Jackson would be the last draftee he'd want.

Last edited:
Ross listens to too many people...he should have hired McCoy instead of Philbin but he listened to Carl Peterson instead of his own GM at the time in Ireland.

Grier isn't bad at all he's actually solid

meh

The money saving part is bs. But the trading down to amass more picks either this year or next? BP does that all the time. Why not ask why we don’t do the same?

Ross gets it.

I’d bet money he wanted Lamar Jackson which signals he actually cares about the future of the team whereas Tannenbaum and Gase are looking at the present in an attempt to try to save their asses.

Whether you think LJ is legit or not is irrelevant, the process of getting a QB you think can be special for your team is always the top need.

Trading down, grabbing a safety net and potential lightning rod for your organization at QB . . . All while gaining an extra pick or two is a very smart way to run your organization, especially with an uncertainty in Tannehill.

As much as I like Minkah Fitzpatrick, I think it is rather foolish to put all the eggs in the Tannehill basket, with Petty, Osweiller and Fales behind.

I also think if anything happens with Ryan, the entire regime is gone . . . And you know what, its probably for the best.
LJ wont make it in the NFL. Period. Anther Pat White. No Thanks... Ross is a moron and alwsys be a moron. Well in football knowledge anyway

Just a thought, but what if Ross wanted to save money against the cap so they had more money to spend on veterans when Suh's contract comes off the books June 1st?

Just a thought, but what if Ross wanted to save money against the cap so they had more money to spend on veterans when Suh's contract comes off the books June 1st?

The money saved is such a trivial amount it is not even worth discussing. You are talking maybe 500K a year from a drop down from 11 to 20 on the first round pick.

This got lost in translation. Ross probably was like "Hey guys, why not trade down, pick up a few picks and save a few dollars on the first rounder". There is 0% chance he was talking about trading down with financial savings being the driver of that thought.

Ross doesn't know a single thing about football. He's strictly a business guy. If the player isn't from Michigan then he's not into it. Just be thankful that he's willing to be talked out of situations like this.

The Patriots TEAM was BUILT on the strategy of trading down and getting lower draft round players...

BUT...

They happen to have the best coach and GM in the NFL.

We have t-bomb who only managed to get that job by sucking up to the boss.

I'm pretty convinced that once it became evident that Miami couldn't get Mayfield (who Gase coveted above all else) Miami stopped looking at QBs in a serious light.

The Patriots TEAM was BUILT on the strategy of trading down and getting lower draft round players...

BUT...

They happen to have the best coach and GM in the NFL.

We have t-bomb who only managed to get that job by sucking up to the boss.

Well, it isn't like the Pats are trading out of a top 15 position in the draft...they are usually trading out of 30 something. The divides between player 31 and player 50 is a lot smaller than player 11 and 20.

I'm pretty convinced that once it became evident that Miami couldn't get Mayfield (who Gase coveted above all else) Miami stopped looking at QBs in a serious light.
Yes because if Ross showed he had any interest in Jackson to the Fins I would turn on him.

Are you serious that Miami is more baseball than football?

The Marlins HAVE the lowest attendance in MLB

Because they traded all of their superstars. But trust me, I was there in the late 90's when Marlins won their 1st world series, and when Marlins won their 2nd world series a few years later. Trust me,it wasn't even close to the Heat winning a championship or 2 or 3.

Because they traded all of their superstars. But trust me, I was there in the late 90's when Marlins won their 1st world series, and when Marlins won their 2nd world series a few years later. Trust me,it wasn't even close to the Heat winning a championship or 2 or 3.

Seen it all from the early 70s Dolphins to the Panthers
to the Marlins and Heat but Miami will always be a Dolphin town

YellowJournalism.gif

Back
Top Bottom