Brandon Jones | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Brandon Jones

\Hookem/

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Hey guys, I created this account just to come by and tell you about this player named Brandon Jones.

Brandon was a highly touted recruit coming out of HS. In fact, he was the #1 Safety in the country, an easy 5 Star. I haven't missed a Texas game in years, therefore I haven't missed a single snap that Brandon Jones has played in so I know him quite well.

I want to be honest about him because that's what I would want if some random person came in to tell me info about a player so I will not let my fandom and support for BJ get in the way of an honest assessment. For the record, I am a Cowboys fan but I also grew up a long time Dolphins fan because of Dan Marino (the GOAT) and because of Ricky Williams of course (Hook'em as well \../).

I'll start with who he is off the field.

Brandon Jones is an A+++ character. This is literally his best trait but this is also arguably the most important trait to have for success. Our own head coach even stated that this kid is the type of kid you want to marry your daughter. That's the nice, caring, educated, focused, determined BJ everyone knows. This kid has his head on straight and goes to work. In fact, if you weren't already aware, he was injured during the NFL combine. So, since he couldn't participate in the combine, he spend the months leading up by watching 4 games of film of every defense in the ENTIRE NFL. He prepared over 100 pages of information and could explain to every single team how they ran their defense, what he could bring to the team, and why they should draft him. Nothing like that has ever been done before and it shows his work ethic, determination, and maturity. You can't help but absolutely love this kid. He was one of a handful voted as a team leader on the Texas roster as voted by the teammates. This shows his leadership capabilities and respect among his peers which is vital in a successful locker room.

I'll move on to who he is on the field.

First, his weaknesses. Brandon has all the physical talent in the world to be a star, including in the NFL. He needs to be molded and his teammates and coaches need to find a way to make everything click in his mind. For whatever reason, he seems to play indecisive when the play is a pass a lot of the time. He doesn't show natural ball hawk tendencies nor is his ball skills high. He isn't going to make one handed picks nor does he often even go for the pick - he prefers the big hit and punishing the defender. Maybe because he lacks confidence in his ball skill ability. However, It's a good thing he is a hard worker and naturally athlete so he has a chance to really improve his ball skills with practice practice and his ball hawk ability (playing the ball/WR as the ball is in the air) through gains more experience and continuing to be a student of the game.
Last, BJ finished off the final season or two being a little injury prone. He has ELITE level toughness and will play through it without a second thought. But his small injuries would not seem to go away, whether a new one came along or an old one reappeared. I think with some healing time as he sits back and learns, he should be fully good to go when needed. In fact to my knowledge, he should be good to go for training camp. I also think we never got to see the true BJ because I really feel like he played injured the entire time so it really held him back whether mentally or physically.

Now, his strengths. BJ has three things that really stand out when you watch him. His closing speed is that of a freaking missile, he's an absolute thumper, and finally his sure tackling.

Toughness. As mentioned above, this kid will play through broken bones and whatever else is hard but possible to play through. BJ is ELITE in this category.

Tackling. I will say - teams in the Big 12 are built to put the ball in space and all skill players have speed, so it's very hard to be a good tackler. Everyone gets embarrassed at times. It's just the norm in the Big 12 honestly, however, that rarely happened to BJ. With the tighter hash marks and higher IQ players, there is less space for a defender to make such a move and I think BJ will excel in these situations as if he wasn't good already. BJ could be one of the best tacklers in all the NFL if trained correctly, his ceiling is that high. BJ is very good in this category with potential to be ELITE.

Thumper. BJ is not scared to hit. He loves to use his ELITE closing speed and just rock whoever is in his path. This may need to be controlled but BJ is smart and I'm sure the coaches will do a good job of teaching him when and how to use and control it. Regardless, it really brings momentum to the team when someone is putting out that kind of effort. BJ is very good in this category.

Closing speed. I can match his highlights to any player in this draft when it comes to closing speed. This kid is a rocket and I would consider his closing speed ELITE. (just one example on a crucial 4th down)

Experience. He started 3 years for us and played his freshman year as well. Led our team in tackles and has competed against many of the best skill players in the NFL. Hard to beat 3+ year starter, elite for a rookie.

Versatile. Not only did BJ play Safety for us, he also played NickelBack and was quite often sent on a blitz or to cover the slot (most safeties cant cover slot man to man). This is very valuable in the Big 12 and NFL, and will be for the Fins.

Fast and Athletic. When you watch BJ play, you will see he moves and runs like a CB. He is one of the most coordinated, quick, fast, loose hip players on the field. This will allow him to do everything down to covering the TE down to the speed WR in the slot. He needs more practice at it to be good at it in the NFL but he is much further along than majority of Safeties who wouldn't even dare try to cover a slot WR 1on1. BJ did it often. Often covering players like CeeDee Lamb, Denzel Mims, Jalen Reagar, and others of past years in the Big 12. Nobody truly knows his 40 time and how fast he is, but we know he always runs with everyone on the field and has the best closing speed. It's assumed he runs in the 4.4 range with a possibility in the 4.3s. BJ Athleticism is borderline ELITE.

Overall, this kid admittedly underachieved for his capabilities at Texas (IMO although he led the team in tackles for at least this final senior season and not really a fault of his own but on the coaches), but he still has all the intangibles and necessary physical capabilities. IMO his end result is very wide between a backup to a perennial Pro Bowler if he correctly develops. I'm really hoping the Dolphins find a way to unleash BJ's potential.

Go Fins and Hook'em \../

I thought this guy was overdrafted, but I've just watched a film about this family and him helping a kid through cancer. Love him. I'd heard about a prospect who prepped a study on the defense of all teams but couldn't remember who it was. No wonder Flores wanted this guy.

Very nice write up. I see a lot of people complaining that they reached for him. Like I told another, there will be other safeties that they could have gotten later with comparable talent, but not sure there will be another with comparable character and work ethic.

This man will be in the role that they wanted Fitzpatrick to do, and will probably be a team captain in a couple of years.

Thank you for the great post....and especially for caring enough to come here and deliver it. I'm not sure if that says more about you as a person or Brandon.

I truly hope both of you will make a home here.

Hey guys, I created this account just to come by and tell you about this player named Brandon Jones.

Brandon was a highly touted recruit coming out of HS. In fact, he was the #1 Safety in the country, an easy 5 Star. I haven't missed a Texas game in years, therefore I haven't missed a single snap that Brandon Jones has played in so I know him quite well.

I want to be honest about him because that's what I would want if some random person came in to tell me info about a player so I will not let my fandom and support for BJ get in the way of an honest assessment. For the record, I am a Cowboys fan but I also grew up a long time Dolphins fan because of Dan Marino (the GOAT) and because of Ricky Williams of course (Hook'em as well \../).

I'll start with who he is off the field.

Brandon Jones is an A+++ character. This is literally his best trait but this is also arguably the most important trait to have for success. Our own head coach even stated that this kid is the type of kid you want to marry your daughter. That's the nice, caring, educated, focused, determined BJ everyone knows. This kid has his head on straight and goes to work. In fact, if you weren't already aware, he was injured during the NFL combine. So, since he couldn't participate in the combine, he spend the months leading up by watching 4 games of film of every defense in the ENTIRE NFL. He prepared over 100 pages of information and could explain to every single team how they ran their defense, what he could bring to the team, and why they should draft him. Nothing like that has ever been done before and it shows his work ethic, determination, and maturity. You can't help but absolutely love this kid. He was one of a handful voted as a team leader on the Texas roster as voted by the teammates. This shows his leadership capabilities and respect among his peers which is vital in a successful locker room.

I'll move on to who he is on the field.

First, his weaknesses. Brandon has all the physical talent in the world to be a star, including in the NFL. He needs to be molded and his teammates and coaches need to find a way to make everything click in his mind. For whatever reason, he seems to play indecisive when the play is a pass a lot of the time. He doesn't show natural ball hawk tendencies nor is his ball skills high. He isn't going to make one handed picks nor does he often even go for the pick - he prefers the big hit and punishing the defender. Maybe because he lacks confidence in his ball skill ability. However, It's a good thing he is a hard worker and naturally athlete so he has a chance to really improve his ball skills with practice practice and his ball hawk ability (playing the ball/WR as the ball is in the air) through gains more experience and continuing to be a student of the game.
Last, BJ finished off the final season or two being a little injury prone. He has ELITE level toughness and will play through it without a second thought. But his small injuries would not seem to go away, whether a new one came along or an old one reappeared. I think with some healing time as he sits back and learns, he should be fully good to go when needed. In fact to my knowledge, he should be good to go for training camp. I also think we never got to see the true BJ because I really feel like he played injured the entire time so it really held him back whether mentally or physically.

Now, his strengths. BJ has three things that really stand out when you watch him. His closing speed is that of a freaking missile, he's an absolute thumper, and finally his sure tackling.

Toughness. As mentioned above, this kid will play through broken bones and whatever else is hard but possible to play through. BJ is ELITE in this category.

Tackling. I will say - teams in the Big 12 are built to put the ball in space and all skill players have speed, so it's very hard to be a good tackler. Everyone gets embarrassed at times. It's just the norm in the Big 12 honestly, however, that rarely happened to BJ. With the tighter hash marks and higher IQ players, there is less space for a defender to make such a move and I think BJ will excel in these situations as if he wasn't good already. BJ could be one of the best tacklers in all the NFL if trained correctly, his ceiling is that high. BJ is very good in this category with potential to be ELITE.

Thumper. BJ is not scared to hit. He loves to use his ELITE closing speed and just rock whoever is in his path. This may need to be controlled but BJ is smart and I'm sure the coaches will do a good job of teaching him when and how to use and control it. Regardless, it really brings momentum to the team when someone is putting out that kind of effort. BJ is very good in this category.

Closing speed. I can match his highlights to any player in this draft when it comes to closing speed. This kid is a rocket and I would consider his closing speed ELITE. (just one example on a crucial 4th down)

Experience. He started 3 years for us and played his freshman year as well. Led our team in tackles and has competed against many of the best skill players in the NFL. Hard to beat 3+ year starter, elite for a rookie.

Versatile. Not only did BJ play Safety for us, he also played NickelBack and was quite often sent on a blitz or to cover the slot (most safeties cant cover slot man to man). This is very valuable in the Big 12 and NFL, and will be for the Fins.

Fast and Athletic. When you watch BJ play, you will see he moves and runs like a CB. He is one of the most coordinated, quick, fast, loose hip players on the field. This will allow him to do everything down to covering the TE down to the speed WR in the slot. He needs more practice at it to be good at it in the NFL but he is much further along than majority of Safeties who wouldn't even dare try to cover a slot WR 1on1. BJ did it often. Often covering players like CeeDee Lamb, Denzel Mims, Jalen Reagar, and others of past years in the Big 12. Nobody truly knows his 40 time and how fast he is, but we know he always runs with everyone on the field and has the best closing speed. It's assumed he runs in the 4.4 range with a possibility in the 4.3s. BJ Athleticism is borderline ELITE.

Overall, this kid admittedly underachieved for his capabilities at Texas (IMO although he led the team in tackles for at least this final senior season and not really a fault of his own but on the coaches), but he still has all the intangibles and necessary physical capabilities. IMO his end result is very wide between a backup to a perennial Pro Bowler if he correctly develops. I'm really hoping the Dolphins find a way to unleash BJ's potential.

Go Fins and Hook'em \../

Alright, Alright, Alright ..thank you Mathew M.

Nice write up. A lot of us were not overly familiar with him so its invaluable to get analysis from someone who has watched him as close as you have.

Welcome. Hope you stay and continue posting.

Thanks for the insight. NFL Network actually aired a mini feature on him about 45 minutes ago. Seems like a great kid.

Never got round to him, so don't have any opinion on the football player, though some of our best posters really like him as well.

excellent info -- thanks!

watching this dude and really digging his speed attack and general aggression!

looks like someone who can do some legit damage and make impact plays!

BJ just came off of shoulder surgery for a torn labrum in his right shoulder in January at the end of the season which nobody even knew was that bad. He probably played through some of the season with it which goes to his toughness. He seemed like a gametime decision much of his senior season but I guess you could make an argument he's not that injury prone as he was consistently around without doubt the other 3 seasons before his nagging shoulder injury. He didn't want to miss his senior season for his team (especially since our secondary was absolutely decimated at times this season). I cant really recall

I'm not sure I'd call him small at 6'-6'1 205. He can put on weight if needed, we just need them lighter and faster in the Big 12 to keep up with all the speed. I also imagine seeing him being put into a Nickelback type role or something versatile and not specifically a safety type role so I would take that into consideration when imagining your depth chart. I'm not sure how the fins run their defense but I bet they fell in love with seeing BJ play everywhere from up at the line blitzing, run supporting, pass rushing, all the way back to 2nd deepest safety.

If you are thinking this kid could be a great special teams player with that closing speed, you'd be absolutely right. BJ freshman year he came in and blocked 2 punts in back to back games and also had a special teams safety. Everyone knew he was special when he would come in and make plays all over the place on all the special teams. They took him off special teams since he became the starting safety the next 3 years. I think he will be an instant impact ST player for the fins if nothing else. However, I think he isn't a starting option as a returner. Pretty reliable and good but nothing spectacular as a returner. He'd excel on Kick, PR, and Punt teams.

Here's a fantastic highlight video of him. You cant help but notice his overall speed and how he closes like a missile. He's very decisive in the run game. Hopefully the link works, I can only find it through facebook.

Last edited:
Good post. I couldn’t tell you how many touchdowns or big plays I’ve seen that were there but didn’t happen because of Jones pursuit angles and tackling.

Ball skills and interceptions don’t matter if you can’t make one-on-one tackles in space. You cannot start in the NFL as a safety if you can’t be counted on to make those tackles.

Ask Gerod Holliman.

I know how good Brandon Jones is and how important football is to him. He can play for me.

Thanks! That was some good info coming from someone who's watched him closely.

What type of nagging injuries did he have? That's what concerns me. He's small for a safety.
He had a torn labrum in his right shoulder his senior year, had surgery this January. Us fans didn't even know he was playing with it, he just put the team first and was quiet about it and it all makes sense now. I want to say he had some nagging rib injury but I can't verify my memory on that one. Regardless, I'm not sure I'd call him injury prone on second thought, he did play almost all 4 seasons for us. That's reliable.

Also, I'm not sure I would call BJ a small safety. He isnt a big SS if that's what you're expecting but he is almost 6'1 205. The only reason he played at that weight is because our secondary needs to be fast to keep up with Big 12 speed. So most our Safeties and LBs play a bit under sized. He can easily put on weight in the NFL, his body isnt hard to put on weight and muscle. I could see him comfortably playing up to 220 if he needed but I would imagine the fins using him more as a tweener versatile player like a NB position and drop him back, blitz him, use him in run support to completely seal off an edge, and mix him in to cover size or speed. So I think he'll sit between 205-215, but I also don't really know the fins system and that's just me speculating. But BJ has a pretty gifted body and it's very adaptable. 6'1 is not really that small either, we have had other Longhorns that have done pretty well shorter than that (Kenny Vaccaro 6' and Earl Thomas 5'10 come to mind)

Back
Top Bottom