Brandon Marshall being called "Baby T.O." | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Brandon Marshall being called "Baby T.O."

TerryTate said:
Yep, based on some rumblings I heard yesterday.

Really? What exactly did you hear? and where did you hear it from?

The scouts are noticing his second gear, as well as the potential he has for chucking CBs at the line of scrimmage...and that is why they are calling him "baby TO". Those two attributes in particular. He doesn't have Owens' second gear, nor is he the amazing athlete Owens was coming out of college...but the amazing thing is that at his size, that he HAS a second gear at all. Most guys don't. I've never seen a good second gear in Stovall...or his teammate Samardjiza. Marshall also can at time abuse corners physically at the line and further up the field, like TO does. It's an apt nickname, for sure.

But if he goes first round to the Patriots at #21 I'll be laughing pretty hard. I love Marshall but he's not THAT good. For such a big man with potential to be ferocious on the line of scrimmage against the jam, he's not consistent with it. And also, regardless of what his 40 time might do to convince you otherwise, he does not have the speed to go deep or burn corners on double moves. He gets open by a few steps in the intermediate areas, but the longer the route, the more ground the CB makes up on him. I've seen this in action.

Basically I think if you loved Mike Williams you love Brandon Marshall...same kind of kid...both a little inexperienced at the position. What I like about Marshall is that where you had to take Mike Williams #10 to get hold of him, you can probably get Marshall in the 3rd...maybe even the 4th.

And Marques Colston is another guy to watch. Unlike Marshall, he does have the speed to separate deep. If Marshall is "baby TO" then Colston is "baby Boston"

ckparrothead said:
The scouts are noticing his second gear, as well as the potential he has for chucking CBs at the line of scrimmage...and that is why they are calling him "baby TO". Those two attributes in particular. He doesn't have Owens' second gear, nor is he the amazing athlete Owens was coming out of college...but the amazing thing is that at his size, that he HAS a second gear at all. Most guys don't. I've never seen a good second gear in Stovall...or his teammate Samardjiza. Marshall also can at time abuse corners physically at the line and further up the field, like TO does. It's an apt nickname, for sure.

But if he goes first round to the Patriots at #21 I'll be laughing pretty hard. I love Marshall but he's not THAT good. For such a big man with potential to be ferocious on the line of scrimmage against the jam, he's not consistent with it. And also, regardless of what his 40 time might do to convince you otherwise, he does not have the speed to go deep or burn corners on double moves. He gets open by a few steps in the intermediate areas, but the longer the route, the more ground the CB makes up on him. I've seen this in action.

Basically I think if you loved Mike Williams you love Brandon Marshall...same kind of kid...both a little inexperienced at the position. What I like about Marshall is that where you had to take Mike Williams #10 to get hold of him, you can probably get Marshall in the 3rd...maybe even the 4th.

And Marques Colston is another guy to watch. Unlike Marshall, he does have the speed to separate deep. If Marshall is "baby TO" then Colston is "baby Boston"

ya... I thought "Baby TO" was a very fitting nickname... because they are pretty comparable... Big, fearless across the middle, and can physically dominate corners...

but like you said... if the Pats took him in the 1st I would laugh... just because of the value they would be wasting with that pick.... because they could definatly get him in the 2nd.

However, I would then cry because my favorite player in this draft would be going to the team I hate the most... :fire:

It seems to me when the Patriots get into the late first round, or second round, they "reach" a lot for players they are sure will end up solid players. They never gamble that kind of pick. Ben Watson, Daniel Graham, Eugene Wilson, Bethel Johnson, Logan Mankins...even Matt Light to an extent. All are guys that I can specifically remember were projected lower than where the Pats ended up taking them.

Vince Wilfork is the only guy I can recall them getting in that area that was a guy who "fell" to them.

ckparrothead said:
It seems to me when the Patriots get into the late first round, or second round, they "reach" a lot for players they are sure will end up solid players. They never gamble that kind of pick. Ben Watson, Daniel Graham, Eugene Wilson, Bethel Johnson, Logan Mankins...even Matt Light to an extent. All are guys that I can specifically remember were projected lower than where the Pats ended up taking them.

Vince Wilfork is the only guy I can recall them getting in that area that was a guy who "fell" to them.
ya... I remember thinking Watson was a reach. I was sure they were going to go after Ben Troope... Mankins was definatly a reach too...

FinNasty said:
ya... I remember thinking Watson was a reach. I was sure they were going to go after Ben Troope... Mankins was definatly a reach too...

Even Ty Warren at #13 was a surprise pick. Daniel Graham was predicted to go maybe at the very bottom of the first...not #21 overall. Bethel Johnson was DEFINITELY a reach, but he was the only WR left with top line speed. I specifically remember Matt Light being projected lower than he went. I know Eugene Wilson and Ellis Hobbs were both projected lower than the Pats took them. Marquise Hill has been pegged as a mid-to-late 3rd round prospect and the Pats took him with the last pick in round 2.

The reason I put quotes around the "BPA" is because it seems sometimes like they take the guy that is most highly rated at a position they want, and their only acid test for taking him is "Will he be there when we pick next? No? Ok take him."

ckparrothead said:
Even Ty Warren at #13 was a surprise pick. Daniel Graham was predicted to go maybe at the very bottom of the first...not #21 overall. Bethel Johnson was DEFINITELY a reach, but he was the only WR left with top line speed. I specifically remember Matt Light being projected lower than he went. I know Eugene Wilson and Ellis Hobbs were both projected lower than the Pats took them. Marquise Hill has been pegged as a mid-to-late 3rd round prospect and the Pats took him with the last pick in round 2.

The reason I put quotes around the "BPA" is because it seems sometimes like they take the guy that is most highly rated at a position they want, and their only acid test for taking him is "Will he be there when we pick next? No? Ok take him."

that is a terrible draft stategy... IMO, the draft is all about value. If you really want a guy, and know that you can get him a little later... you trade down, aquire more picks, and get your guy...

FinNasty said:
that is a terrible draft stategy... IMO, the draft is all about value. If you really want a guy, and know that you can get him a little later... you trade down, aquire more picks, and get your guy...

I'm not going to say whether it's terrible or not. They end up focusing on guys they really like, regardless of the consensus draft position, and their only questions clearly are will he be there when we pick again, and can we trade down. If both answers are no they pick.

Hard to tell the team that has 3 championships in the last 5 years that their draft strategy is terrible.

ckparrothead said:
I'm not going to say whether it's terrible or not. They end up focusing on guys they really like, regardless of the consensus draft position, and their only questions clearly are will he be there when we pick again, and can we trade down. If both answers are no they pick.

Hard to tell the team that has 3 championships in the last 5 years that their draft strategy is terrible.
oh no doubt... but if they played the draft using the value theory like I was saying... imagine what they could do with the players they targeted... plus the extra draft picks that they would have aquired while trading down...

Back
Top Bottom