Brandon Weeden | Page 13 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Brandon Weeden

"Didn't do much in the 3rd quarter" was a function of a Joseph Randle fumble and an Iowa State onside kick. It's kind of hard to "do much" with three drives when one of the drives ends in a turnover after you'd been driving the ball well, and a second drive ends in a touchdown. Only one of those three drives ended because Weeden couldn't convert on 3rd down.

You also have to remember that the players had a lot on their minds. There are relationships between the different sports teams there and they just found out that two of their basketball coaches died. The coaches were distracted and I'm quite sure the players were a little distracted as well.

In my opinion that sense of being "in control" derives from winning and it's nearly impossible for a player to give a sense of being perfectly in control of a game that he ends up losing. But as I detailed, Weeden was 42 of 58 for 487 yards and 3 TDs with 3 INTs, 2 of which came off tipped passes at the line. It's really hard to be MORE in control than that.

As for Justin Blackmon I'm just having a tough time seeing how 10 catches for 99 yards and a TD against an obviously very good corner that will be drafted into the NFL constitutes a down performance and a bad game. If anything that shows me what a good player Justin Blackmon is, that he's set such ridiculously high standards that he can have a day that if Ted Ginn would have had in Miami, would have been hailed as proof of his being a successful draft pick, but instead Blackmon is criticized for that kind of day.

I'm aware of Weeden's game stats, and you know how big a fan of his I've become. Regardless- there was time for Weeden to contribute more in the 3rd quarter and take control of the game overall in the 2nd half-he didn't. Blackmon did vey little, if anything, in the 2nd half until the very late regualtion catch (great pass, great catch btw). The offense scored 7 points in the 2nd half regulation. This is not what you want to see- I watched a good part of the game, and for me the great Weeden stat line doesn't translate into a great second half or what I wanted to see. I agreed with your ealier comment to the effect that an ISU upset was in the air, and seemed somewhat fated. That's pretty contrary to a sense that Weeden was in control.

Expectations are high indeed for Blackmon, but the stakes were even higher and Blackmon noticably disappeared for most of the 2nd half- again, not what you want to see from an alpha player. 100 yards receiving and a TD are commendable stats, but you want to see money players show up at money times- aside from that beautiful late 4th quarter catch, where was he? Blanketed by Leonard?

None of this changes the fact that I'm big fans of both. And you're right about this- Blackmon having 99 yds and a TD and having his performance critiqued afterward is a sign of how good he is. Ted Ginn- yes, that game would have been a victory for him because, well, he sucks. Ask yourself this- how would Michaeal Irvin felt about his game performance if he were Blackmon, all things considered?

Regardless, just to be clear- Blackmon/Weeden all the way, with a focus still on Weeden.

Still curious- what do you think of Levy Ad**** and Kevin Zeitler?

Weeden is easily behind Luck, Barkley, RGIII, Jones, and Tannahill.

I actually think he is really talented. I like him more than Jones. I think he is more accurate and can make better throws. Don't know enough about RGIII and Tannahill.

I like Levy Ad**** a lot.

I didn't see as much of Ad**** as I should have- didn't key on him enough- but when I did he looked like a mobile rhino with good lateral quicks for a RT. Just bull strong, at least a couple of times threw guys around like rag dolls. I liked what I saw, and the cherry on top was that lateral movement. Zeitzer I like as well.

Coindidence or whatever in terms of all being from OSU, Blackmon/Weeden/Ad**** woud be just fine with me. All three seem to be just really good football players at need positions for us.

I didn't see as much of Ad**** as I should have- didn't key on him enough- but when I did he looked like a mobile rhino with good lateral quicks for a RT. Just bull strong, at least a couple of times threw guys around like rag dolls. I liked what I saw, and the cherry on top was that lateral movement. Zeitzer I like as well.

Coindidence or whatever in terms of all being from OSU, Blackmon/Weeden/Ad**** woud be just fine with me. All three seem to be just really good football players at need positions for us.

funny as it may seem, I would go for this scenario as well. I don't really care that they are all from the same school as much as if it worked out, especially without needing to swap picks, that'd be one sick first three rounds.

funny as it may seem, I would go for this scenario as well. I don't really care that they are all from the same school as much as if it worked out, especially without needing to swap picks, that'd be one sick first three rounds.
Definitely. I feel like if they ever decide to keep Garner in the lineup, the OL is only one piece away from being a really good one.

Back
Top Bottom