Brandon Weeden | Page 12 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Brandon Weeden

Blackmon had 10 catches for 99 yards and a TD. No shame in his game tonight. Leonard Johnson had a good night because of the two picks but it's well to remember the second pick wouldn't have been a pick if that ball hadn't been tipped at the line. Weeden throws that ball hot and outside, but it gets barely brushed by a DL and comes in duckish and inside, easy to pick off in tight man coverage.

Yeah, that's the guy, Leonard Johnson. Made himself some money tonight. Stats were good for Blackmon, but 77 yards and the TD were in the 1st half. It would have been nice to see more in the 2nd half, especially considering how obviously tight and critical this game was. Nice catch in the 4th qtr on that long out by Weeden, beautiful pass. Would have been nice to see Weeden/Blackmon really step up in the 4th qtr and win the game. I'd still take Blackmon/Weeden gladly, and as I mentioned earlier I like what I saw of Levy Ad****.

Yeah, that's the guy, Leonard Johnson. Made himself some money tonight. Stats were good for Blackmon, but 77 yards and the TD were in the 1st half. It would have been nice to see more in the 2nd half, especially considering how obviously tight and critical this game was. Nice catch in the 4th qtr on that long out by Weeden, beautiful pass. Would have been nice to see Weeden/Blackmon really step up in the 4th qtr and win the game. I'd still take Blackmon/Weeden gladly, and as I mentioned earlier I like what I saw of Levy Ad****.
So would i.

T

That was an awfully quiet 2nd half for a guy who threw for almost 500 yards. You have to applaud Iowa St., especially that CB who was on Blackmon- Jimmy Rogers or something like that- and the young ISU QB had a heck of a game. Despite the big numbers, I wouldn't say that Weeden helped himself tonight- didn't really step up to the plate in the 2nd half/late in the game imo. He was good, don't get me wrong, bu tmaybe I'm expecting too much out of him now. Bad luck on that late 4th qtr 3rd down pass before the miseed FG, they just missed a 1st down that would have let them run the clock down and kick a chip shot, or at least a good chance of that. Bad luck on the 2nd pick, too- I missed the first one.

Blackmon- kind of disappeared in the 2nd half, didn't help himself. Liked what I saw of RT Levy Ad****.

With any luck this game helps temper down Weeden enthusiasm a bit- not to be a hypocrite. Bottom line- I'd love to get him, Blackmon/Weeden fine with me. And I really wouldn't mind Ad**** in the 3rd, or maybe the Wisconsin Guard, I think his name is Kevin Zeitzer.

I don't know if I really agree with that. You've got a 4th quarter drive that starts at their own 14 yard line and ends in Iowa State territory when a Cyclones defensive lineman is barely able to brush a ball that was intended for Blackmon in tight man coverage. That ball was going hot and to the outside and would have been a completion but the tip makes it go duckish and inside and it's picked off.

Then you've got another 4th quarter drive, the very next one in fact, starts at Oklahoma State's own 8 yard line and ends on the Iowa State 41 yard line when the back out of the backfield, who would have easily gotten the 1st down, drops an easily catchable ball.

Then you've got the drive before overtime where they run the ball twice and then on 3rd & 6, Weeden gets the ball in perfect spot for Josh Cooper to run for the 1st down but Cooper can't get there. They miss the chip shot field goal that would have precluded overtime.

Then in overtime you've got a drive after Iowa State was able to easily get in for the touchdown on a big play, and Weeden makes two big throws to Josh Cooper, the final one a touchdown to match scores and continue to double overtime.

And on the final drive, I'm sorry but that ball seemed well thrown into a tight space in man coverage, but the tip at the line causes the ball to lose pace which allows the DB to close enough to get a hand on the ball and tip it up, someone else comes down with the interception.

I think this is a classic case where the results kind of interfere with peoples' thinking a little bit. Not only was Weeden excellent in this game, he was generally excellent in the clutch moments of the game. Circumstances, his teammates, and a hell of a good defensive performance conspired against him.

It looked like to me Weeden missed a wide open underneath receiver on that last tipped INT. It was an easier throw and would have gotten almost the same yardage.

The guy is still a player. I wouldn't mind him in the aqua and orange.

I don't know if I really agree with that. You've got a 4th quarter drive that starts at their own 14 yard line and ends in Iowa State territory when a Cyclones defensive lineman is barely able to brush a ball that was intended for Blackmon in tight man coverage. That ball was going hot and to the outside and would have been a completion but the tip makes it go duckish and inside and it's picked off.

Then you've got another 4th quarter drive, the very next one in fact, starts at Oklahoma State's own 8 yard line and ends on the Iowa State 41 yard line when the back out of the backfield, who would have easily gotten the 1st down, drops an easily catchable ball.

Then you've got the drive before overtime where they run the ball twice and then on 3rd & 6, Weeden gets the ball in perfect spot for Josh Cooper to run for the 1st down but Cooper can't get there. They miss the chip shot field goal that would have precluded overtime.

Then in overtime you've got a drive after Iowa State was able to easily get in for the touchdown on a big play, and Weeden makes two big throws to Josh Cooper, the final one a touchdown to match scores and continue to double overtime.

And on the final drive, I'm sorry but that ball seemed well thrown into a tight space in man coverage, but the tip at the line causes the ball to lose pace which allows the DB to close enough to get a hand on the ball and tip it up, someone else comes down with the interception.

I think this is a classic case where the results kind of interfere with peoples' thinking a little bit. Not only was Weeden excellent in this game, he was generally excellent in the clutch moments of the game. Circumstances, his teammates, and a hell of a good defensive performance conspired against him.

Well, it's a team game for sure, but still Weeden didn't do much in the 3rd quarter and the offense only scored 7 points in 2nd half regulation. I don't think that a OSU OT victory would have radically altered my opinion of Weeden's performance. Blackmon, too- he disappeared for almost the entire second half regulation, and the OSU RB's underwhelmed. INTs off of tipped passes, bad luck. You were right, this game did kind of have the feel of a fated upset. Credit has tio go to the ISU CB who covered blackmon, and especially to the young ISU QB. That dude made a bunch of plays.

I didn't get that "in control" sense out of Weeden that I have the last couple of weeks. Also, my expectations are quite high when it comes to him, so I realize that I'm criticizing a guy who threw for 500 yards and 3 TD's. Still, not the game I wanted to see from Weeden, not the game that would have created even more 1st round buzz imo. Again, what happened in the 3rd quarter? 7 points in the 2nd half? There's some blame to spread around for sure, but not Weeden's best work imo.

Nonetheless, he's excellent. I'm sure that the "See, he's not so good after all" critics will come out just like for Andrew Luck last week. All I know is this- if the Dolphins draft him in the 2nd round I'll be ecstatic. If the Dolphins trade down in the 1st round and get him I'll be thrilled. if the Dolphins pick him high in the 1st round I'll think, with certainty, that we will have just drafted our most talented QB since Dan Marino. And I'm absolutely fine with that.

As to Blackmon- the guy is still a stud. Blackmon/Weeden is the draft template for me- I still maintain that Hartline is overrated by a lot of Dolphins fans and is a 4th/5th recevier type. Bess is ok in the slot, but slow and hardly a game breaker. Gates- we'll see. Bottom line- we could use a talented WR like blackmon accross from Marshall. Blackmon/Weeden would be, in my opinion, fantastic.

Any thoughts on OSU RT Levy Ad**** or Wisconsin G Kevin Zeitzer?

CK.. my man... I RARELY disagree with you but IMHO... the PERFECT spot for that pass would have been 1 yard past the line to gain... which I will fully admit is on both the receiver and the qb... but I've seen enough passes/routes that are ran/thrown a yard short of the line to gain the past four years...

I would disagree a bit that he was great in clutch moments. the 2nd half was nothing I would consider clutch. especially that last drive. I've never been so disapointed with a guy not killing more clock time on a last possession setting up for a field goal.. Do that in the NFL against tom brady and patriots... you lose 8 out of 10 games...

Well, it's a team game for sure, but still Weeden didn't do much in the 3rd quarter and the offense only scored 7 points in 2nd half regulation.

"Didn't do much in the 3rd quarter" was a function of a Joseph Randle fumble and an Iowa State onside kick. It's kind of hard to "do much" with three drives when one of the drives ends in a turnover after you'd been driving the ball well, and a second drive ends in a touchdown. Only one of those three drives ended because Weeden couldn't convert on 3rd down.

I don't think that a OSU OT victory would have radically altered my opinion of Weeden's performance. Blackmon, too- he disappeared for almost the entire second half regulation, and the OSU RB's underwhelmed. INTs off of tipped passes, bad luck. You were right, this game did kind of have the feel of a fated upset. Credit has tio go to the ISU CB who covered blackmon, and especially to the young ISU QB. That dude made a bunch of plays.

You also have to remember that the players had a lot on their minds. There are relationships between the different sports teams there and they just found out that two of their basketball coaches died. The coaches were distracted and I'm quite sure the players were a little distracted as well.

I didn't get that "in control" sense out of Weeden that I have the last couple of weeks. Also, my expectations are quite high when it comes to him, so I realize that I'm criticizing a guy who threw for 500 yards and 3 TD's. Still, not the game I wanted to see from Weeden, not the game that would have created even more 1st round buzz imo. Again, what happened in the 3rd quarter? 7 points in the 2nd half? There's some blame to spread around for sure, but not Weeden's best work imo.

In my opinion that sense of being "in control" derives from winning and it's nearly impossible for a player to give a sense of being perfectly in control of a game that he ends up losing. But as I detailed, Weeden was 42 of 58 for 487 yards and 3 TDs with 3 INTs, 2 of which came off tipped passes at the line. It's really hard to be MORE in control than that.

As for Justin Blackmon I'm just having a tough time seeing how 10 catches for 99 yards and a TD against an obviously very good corner that will be drafted into the NFL constitutes a down performance and a bad game. If anything that shows me what a good player Justin Blackmon is, that he's set such ridiculously high standards that he can have a day that if Ted Ginn would have had in Miami, would have been hailed as proof of his being a successful draft pick, but instead Blackmon is criticized for that kind of day.

I only saw the 3rd and 4th quarters. I really felt like he was staring down some of his targets. Did anyone get that? To be sure, he made some great throws as well. On one, he hit Blackmon with at least 3 defenders around him. It was a sweet pass that he just put right in Blackmon's hands. I was disappointed he didn't seal the deal though. Is that being to harsh?

CK.. my man... I RARELY disagree with you but IMHO... the PERFECT spot for that pass would have been 1 yard past the line to gain... which I will fully admit is on both the receiver and the qb... but I've seen enough passes/routes that are ran/thrown a yard short of the line to gain the past four years...

The route is what it is. Brandon Weeden can't run the route for him, nor can he design the play for Todd Monken. The best he can do is get the ball accurately with good placement and timing for good run after catch and then it's up to the receiver to get the yards. Cooper didn't. You may have had enough of QBs throwing short of the sticks and hoping for 1st downs but elsewhere in the league this is done ALL THE TIME, and with success. No, there's nothing inherently "correct" about throwing the ball a yard further than the sticks when the route is being run short of the sticks.

I would disagree a bit that he was great in clutch moments. the 2nd half was nothing I would consider clutch. especially that last drive. I've never been so disapointed with a guy not killing more clock time on a last possession setting up for a field goal.. Do that in the NFL against tom brady and patriots... you lose 8 out of 10 games...

Again, I think you're barking up the wrong tree with the timing thing. Weeden's running the offense as it's designed to be run. The idea that offense operated with during that last drive you're talking about is, you can't miss a field goal if you're running into the end zone. That's the truth. The entire philosophy of that Air Raid offense is to extend the game and allow your offense to run more plays because the more plays you run the more touchdowns you score. They were preserving time on the clock because they expected Josh Cooper to run for the 1st down on 3rd & 6, and then for Brandon Weeden to run at least 5 more plays from inside the 19 yard line to try and get a touchdown and take the game out of their kicker's hands. That's the mentality. You may not understand it, you may not agree with it, but it doesn't matter what you think because that's the mentality of the offense they've got installed up there.

I only saw the 3rd and 4th quarters. I really felt like he was staring down some of his targets. Did anyone get that? To be sure, he made some great throws as well. On one, he hit Blackmon with at least 3 defenders around him. It was a sweet pass that he just put right in Blackmon's hands. I was disappointed he didn't seal the deal though. Is that being to harsh?

No you are not being harsh. People here want him to be our 1st round pick. He needs to play a heck of a lot better and demonstrate the fundamentals of a NFL QB as opposed to a spread QB.

I don't think it's being harsh to be disappointed he didn't "seal the deal". But folks are disappointed in Drew Brees and Tom Brady all the time for not quite sealing the deal. They're still top level QBs.

Weeden is easily behind Luck, Barkley, RGIII, Jones, and Tannahill.

I don't think it's being harsh to be disappointed he didn't "seal the deal". But folks are disappointed in Drew Brees and Tom Brady all the time for not quite sealing the deal. They're still top level QBs.

Right. This was such a big game though. It had Heisman and BCS implications. Just wanted to see him take control and stomp them.

Back
Top Bottom