Brandon Weeden | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Brandon Weeden

what you said right there is exactly why this kid will be on the board longer than many think or realize imo...no gm wants to be the guy who drafted a soon to be 29 year old qb too high...no gm...although there are some probably more willing than others you just hit on why weeden will still be around despite the talent...that and whatever the medicals comes back which right now is an unknown...i usually think there's 4 reasons a guy stays in school when he could come out a year prior provided he has a solid grade its either he knows he's gonna run slow which doesn't effect qbs but kills draft stocks he's hiding an injury (this could be possible) he's one of those rare breeds like a luck who could have come out for the massive money last year but decided it could wait or he's got character flaws he wants to get away from in his past as far away from as possible time wise before he declares...weeden sticking around til he's gonna be a 29 year old rookie has me wondering if he's hiding something...

He stuck around because he didn't get a high grade from the advisory committee, because he only had one year of starting under his belt and they all recommended he get another year of starting at which point he'll be a more valuable prospect. Gundy told him the exact same thing, that he's not ready yet. That's the truth. It helped that both Justin Blackmon and Markelle Martin decided to return, and Mike Gundy had them all believing they could win a championship together. And he might be right. To me, the Cowboys should be the favorite to win it all this year.

He stuck around because he didn't get a high grade from the advisory committee, because he only had one year of starting under his belt and they all recommended he get another year of starting at which point he'll be a more valuable prospect. Gundy told him the exact same thing, that he's not ready yet. That's the truth. It helped that both Justin Blackmon and Markelle Martin decided to return, and Mike Gundy had them all believing they could win a championship together. And he might be right. To me, the Cowboys should be the favorite to win it all this year.
You know that will never happen. Right after the LSU/Ala game they were talking about how both of those teams could meet in the championship game. The SEC is the media darling and if they were to somehow get an LSU/Ala rematch in the championship game the other conferences might as well drop out of the NCAA and form their own association with their own playoff system cause the SEC is the only conference in the country where a 2 loss team gets a shot at a national championship (and I'm not talking about this year).

You know that will never happen. Right after the LSU/Ala game they were talking about how both of those teams could meet in the championship game. The SEC is the media darling and if they were to somehow get an LSU/Ala rematch in the championship game the other conferences might as well drop out of the NCAA and form their own association with their own playoff system cause the SEC is the only conference in the country where a 2 loss team gets a shot at a national championship (and I'm not talking about this year).

if they beat oklahoma and iowa st and win the conference champ game i think its gonna be okla st in the nat champ game...and i have no problem with it personally...i'd love to see em against lsu...and bama stanford although i don't see that one happening

I'd take a hard look to if he's a UFA. But I'm pretty sure I'm backing away from a 1st.

yeah i could definitely understand that...especially one as high as what we're likely looking at...or at least i'm hoping for...but if we miss on luck barkley and weeden goes earlier than i expect i'm callin about flynn...

yeah i could definitely understand that...especially one as high as what we're likely looking at...or at least i'm hoping for...but if we miss on luck barkley and weeden goes earlier than i expect i'm callin about flynn...

Does Flynn have a substantial body of NFL work? I can only think of one game, and he played well iirc. He was a later round pick, so there must have been some reasons for him to nearly go undrafted. If he's a top FA consideration, that's great. I'm just in the dark as to why a former 7th rd pick with one start merits heavy consideration- Matt Cassel at least proved it for an entire year before KC coughed up a 2nd rd pick- they should dhave drafted a top notch QB instead imo. But if Flyn is for some reason the proverbial buried jewel, all the better. I'm just flying blind when it comes to him.

Does Flynn have a substantial body of NFL work? I can only think of one game, and he played well iirc. He was a later round pick, so there must have been some reasons for him to nearly go undrafted. If he's a top FA consideration, that's great. I'm just in the dark as to why a former 7th rd pick with one start merits heavy consideration- Matt Cassel at least proved it for an entire year before KC coughed up a 2nd rd pick- they should dhave drafted a top notch QB instead imo. But if Flyn is for some reason the proverbial buried jewel, all the better. I'm just flying blind when it comes to him.

i only know of one start i wanna say it was a monday night football game and to my eye he played damn well...made a late mistake that killed the chance at a win but for a first game starter i was impressed...and when he gets run in garbage time the ball keeps moving right on down the field...he's a pretty good athlete and imo a potential hidden gem...and from what i understand the pack like him a whole damn lot...and if mccarthy and thompson like you that says something to me...

matt cassell...you'd have to roast me over a spit before i'd take on that contract from kc...hells no...i would go flynn before him all day long

i only know of one start i wanna say it was a monday night football game and to my eye he played damn well...made a late mistake that killed the chance at a win but for a first game starter i was impressed...and when he gets run in garbage time the ball keeps moving right on down the field...he's a pretty good athlete and imo a potential hidden gem...and from what i understand the pack like him a whole damn lot...and if mccarthy and thompson like you that says something to me...

matt cassell...you'd have to roast me over a spit before i'd take on that contract from kc...hells no...i would go flynn before him all day long
It was against New England last year, Green Bay lost 31-27. http://espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=301219017

Matt Flynn played semi-well against the Patriots in one of those games he had to play in place of Aaron Rodgers, but he also played horribly in the Detroit game under the same circumstances, and was actually kind of outplayed by Drew Stanton in that game. I think that game ended up like 6-3 or something like that. Offensive ineptitude all the way around on both sides.

I'm not all about Matt Flynn. Which is weird because I liked him at LSU more than his 7th round standing and even made crazy statements to the effect of not being surprised if Flynn has a more successful NFL career than Jamarcus Russell. But whenever I watch him at the NFL level, I see a guy that is coached in an impressive system that gets players on the same page, but his deficiencies as a quarterback (accuracy) seem to hold that system back. What he is, is a very mobile guy with a natural feel for running and quick feet. That makes him fit in that system which is all about the scramble drill. But Miami would have to operate a similar system to make him worth it and even so, I'm just not sure he would be worth it.

yeah i mean i think you would have to play a specific system that caters to matt flynn...but imo thats no different than playing a specific spread offense that caters to a brandon weeden or a landry jones...in jones case at least you do not from what i've seen want a guy turning his back to the opposition ever...you want him to see the field the entire time...

i know cks not much on flynn and i admit i never saw the detroit game and if staunton outplayed you that bothers me cause i think he's garbage but something about this kid just says to me green bay may have something there...and everytime he plays it keeps coming back to me

Basically if Andrew Luck is out of reach then the best quarterback Miami could acquire either in free agency or the Draft would be Brandon Weeden. I think as he stands today even making a system transition, Weeden is more talented than Flynn, and certainly more so than all the other scrap heap QBs that will be available as free agents.

This one is for hoops...Matt Flynn vs NE. I remember watching his performance in this game and not really quite understanding what all the fuss was about.

[video=youtube;_C8F0cWvAfo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_C8F0cWvAfo[/video]

I PVR'd the OSU game this week to take a long look at Weeden. Obviously, just like every other time I've seen him, the guy impressed the heck out of me. I'm definately warming up to a Blackmon + Weeden draft, should Luck and Barkley not be available. It wasn't just his excellent acurracy, arm strenght and decision making that got me excited but also his clear leadership qualties, being an older guy I'm sure helps him here but I've only seen Luck that can match him in that sense at the college level.

One thing though that struck me and I don't know if it negative or not with today's NFL, but the guy because of the scheme they play there at OSU is never under center.

You'll have your own thoughts on the Flynn-NE game of course, but I see a smart quarterback that is generally pretty accurate, has good legs and running ability, but throws a wiffle ball instead of a dart, breaks down under pressure, and wasn't seeing the field well enough or have field awareness enough to be a safe decision maker.

There were two interceptions in the game, that should have been three. On a pick route he should have thrown to Jordy Nelson underneath but he didn't see the man coverage and threw to a bad position, picked off. On the other he threw late, ball didn't have enough pace, didn't see the zone help, one got picked off easily deep, other one not quite though it could have been.

So I looked at that and then I looked at the game he had against Detroit and I'm just sitting here wondering why he's so coveted.

I think you need to go for big time talent and the big time talents are in this year's Draft.

I PVR'd the OSU game this week to take a long look at Weeden. Obviously, just like every other time I've seen him, the guy impressed the heck out of me. I'm definately warming up to a Blackmon + Weeden draft, should Luck and Barkley not be available. It wasn't just his excellent acurracy, arm strenght and decision making that got me excited but also his clear leadership qualties, being an older guy I'm sure helps him here but I've only seen Luck that can match him in that sense at the college level.

One thing though that struck me and I don't know if it negative or not with today's NFL, but the guy because of the scheme they play there at OSU is never under center.

He'll be playing a lot of shotgun in the NFL too, IMO. It would be an interesting transition for him to taking snaps under Center but I don't think it would be a problem.

Back
Top Bottom