BREAKING NEWS: Rick Speilman Resigns (Merged) | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

BREAKING NEWS: Rick Speilman Resigns (Merged)

fin-atic said:
No, its not ignorant. Its how he feels.

Some of you need to accept that this team has been bad for awhile and declined into terrible this year. Speilman was part of that.
WHat has the guy done??? Underacheive and that is it.

Calling someone a witch implies something sinister. He was a hard working guy who lacked experience as a GM. I still think he had a good eye for talent. He had a lot of pressure on him last season to salvage DW's job and he made some hasty personnel decisions.
Still a bit unfair to judge someone after only one season. DW over ruled him prior to that.

dolfan4good said:
As opposed to fighting with an 18 yr old like you did? What makes you so high and mighty? Im glad he's gone and so are you... to the ignore list you go you pompous a$$.

Grow up

Nublar7 said:
Good bye Rick! Only reason I would feel bad for him is because he really did try to make this team better by doing everything possible to get people in here. However, by doing that he gave up too high of draft picks for players in trades, which helped Miami crumble last year. Good human, but not a great football mind. Did a decent job in the draft last year, but after seeing Saban's draft this year, there was no real reason to keep him. This is a happy day for Dolphins fans and the Dolphin organization. Another limb on the Wanny tree has died. Welcome to the Saban era!

:banana: :mdfin:

I agree with you. Your post is well thought out. It is a far cry from the personal and venomous attacks others have launched on this thread. I don't think RS is as bad as some believe. He was put in an impossible position last year and only those who have held a meaningful job with real responsibility would understand that.

Not to toot my own horn, but I said RS would be gone shortly after the draft(alot of us did).I think it was Saban's way of finishing the house cleaning.I wasn't opposed to RS's talant evaluation just his trade
negotations.Btw resigning is just so he saves face,but he was definitly let go IMHO.

2. We didn't NEED Lamar Gordon. After Ricky left, it was over for 2004. Finished. Done. I was one of few people on this site that seemed to realize that, amidst all the predictions of 10-6 and things like "We're the Dolphins so we'll automatcially win 10 games" and other delusions of grandeur. So I'm sorry if I didn't advocate trading a 3rd rounder for a back-up RB and a guy that St. Louis had obviously no belief in whatsoever, seeing as they took Steven Jackson as soon as they had the chance.

As a fan, that view is a luxury. If you're the GM of the Miami Dolphins, the seasons is NEVER, finished, done. Spielmans professional responsibility was repairing the team, and that's why he got Gordon. Again, I think it's fine that you thought the season over, but if I ever see a GM saying the season is over before it's even begun, I honestly never hope he works in football again.

I can only repeat myself from a few pages down. If you want to get rid of Spielman, who do you want instead? I havn't seen a single person name a better replacement. Good luck.

touborg said:
I can only repeat myself from a few pages down. If you want to get rid of Spielman, who do you want instead? I havn't seen a single person name a better replacement. Good luck.
Seriously, I agree, now that Speilman has learned from his mistakes someone out there is going to get a very talented and wise G.M.!

korl68 said:
As usual Blue you always hit the nail on the head!

What "talent" did Rick greatly evaluate?

Oh well he is gone and this is a moot point anyway.

Where have you been Korl? Haven't seen you in a while?

touborg said:
As a fan, that view is a luxury. If you're the GM of the Miami Dolphins, the seasons is NEVER, finished, done. Spielmans professional responsibility was repairing the team, and that's why he got Gordon. Again, I think it's fine that you thought the season over, but if I ever see a GM saying the season is over before it's even begun, I honestly never hope he works in football again.

A GM's job and responsibility is to see the big picture, take into account the long term when making decisions, not panicking and mortgaging the future in bad trades in a futile effort to fill perceived holes.

BlueFin said:
A GM's job and responsibility is to see the big picture, take into account the long term when making decisions, not panicking and mortgaging the future in bad trades in a futile effort to fill perceived holes.
Mortgaging the future would have been trading draft picks for over the hill stop gap veterans not the young players that he picked up, like Feeley and Gordon.

Saying that Rick made these trades to fill the very REAL holes without an eye to the future is just flat out wrong.

inFINSible said:
Mortgaging the future would have been trading draft picks for over the hill stop gap veterans not the young players that he picked up, like Feeley and Gordon.

Saying that Rick made these trades to fill the very REAL holes without an eye to the future is just flat out wrong.

That isn't the point. The point is that RS gave up too much for Gordon and Feeley and every trade he ever made. Miami came out on the short end of every deal he made b/c he was so desperate to make deals and was willing to give up whatever the other team wanted.

He has no clue about value or how to make a trade that benefits his team.

touborg said:
1. Every fan screaming "anyone is better than Fiedler" have no right to complain. He had to get us a new QB, and if he turns out well this season, then his gamble turned out well.

Fine, but why give up a #2 for Feeley? Who were we bidding against? Hold out for a 3 or 4 until Philly said yes. Spielman overpaid and panicked in this case like he did all of last year.

2. We NEEDED Lamar Gordon. What, did you want Minor at tailback? That's a laugh. Gordon was fine value at 3, it was just too bad he got injued.

A fine value at 3???? This is why this forum is a joke sometimes. People like you and MD FinFan talk out of your piehole. He was a third string RB who was injured the entire preseason who was drafted in the 3rd round and didn't do much his whole career. Why would you give up a 3rd for him???? That's assinine

He had a ****ty situation and made the most of it.

You must have really low standards and expectations. He took a crappy situation and mortgaged our future to get minimal results. Good GM's don't have fire sales on their future draft picks b/c they have holes to fill on their rosters. Get your head out of your keister.

You knew it was coming...Nick clearly didn't care for him. The real question is did Nick handle this well? If all that we have read is true, I say no. It clearly seems as Nick's way or no way.

Steve S said:
That isn't the point. The point is that RS gave up too much for Gordon and Feeley and every trade he ever made. Miami came out on the short end of every deal he made b/c he was so desperate to make deals and was willing to give up whatever the other team wanted.

He has no clue about value or how to make a trade that benefits his team.
Yes, it is the point.
Whether Rick came out on the short end of the deal for Feeley or Gordon isn't set in stone at all. He did what he could in a situation that had failure written all over it and instead of finding used up talent and trading draft picks for that, he found young talent with possible upside. No matter how you want to argue what you think the point may be, the real point is that there were very few options in a year when he needed all the options he could get because he only had ONE shot to get it right. It was either go after young talent that could hopefully develop into semi-replacements for those lost draft picks and hope the HC could use them and nurture them properly or sit back and watch everything crumble, have a couple cups of coffee and log on to monster.com daily.

He could either try and salvage his job in an impossible situation or he could have just given up.

What would you do?

inFINSible said:
Yes, it is the point.

No, it really isn't. Trading for trading sake is stupidity. Its in-de-finsable.

Whether Rick came out on the short end of the deal for Feeley or Gordon isn't set in stone at all. He did what he could in a situation that had failure written all over it and instead of finding used up talent and trading draft picks for that, he found young talent with possible upside.

We were 4-12 last year in case you missed that. Yeah, the jury is still out on Feeley a little bit but its pretty much a given that RS gave up too much for both he and Gordon. Who was RS bidding against for Feeley? Was a #2 really necessary to land a third stringer? Or a #3 pick for a third string running back. Face it, he spit the bit as a GM, did a horrible job.

No matter how you want to argue what you think the point may be, the real point is that there were very few options in a year when he needed all the options he could get because he only had ONE shot to get it right.

We didn't have ANY shot after Flaky Williams took off. NONE. I'm not saying you tank the season but mortgaging the future for marginal and unproven players isn't going to save the season or help in the long run either. What RS did was short sighted and selfish.

It was either go after young talent that could hopefully develop into semi-replacements for those lost draft picks and hope the HC could use them and nurture them properly or sit back and watch everything crumble, have a couple cups of coffee and log on to monster.com daily.

He could either try and salvage his job in an impossible situation or he could have just given up.

What would you do?

I would have held out for better deals or better players. He choked.

Back
Top Bottom