BREAKING NEWS: "Trestman to be QB coach." | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

BREAKING NEWS: "Trestman to be QB coach."

Originally posted by Danny
Enough is enough with this o-line coach thing. I'd like to have the best o-line coach here too...

We did have one of the best if not THE Best O-Line coach before Wanne let him go in favor of Wise.

From the Packers Site :

"...Beightol (pronounced BECK-tull), who originally joined the Packers in 1999 and subsequently was retained by new Head Coach Mike Sherman the following year, came to Green Bay after three successful seasons with the Miami Dolphins. In 1997, his offensive linemen gave up only 22 sacks, the second-lowest yield in the NFL. His 1998 squad surrendered only 24 QB drops, the league's third-fewest total. In 1996, his linemen helped pave the way for 1,116 rushing yards from Karim Abdul-Jabbar, a Dolphins rookie rushing record and the first Miami 1,000-yard ground total since 1978. ..."

This guy got KAJ 1100+ yards... Think what he could have done for Ricky

I do remember him well and miss him very much...

Hmmm... I'd thought he'd sucked while he was here. We were b'ing about OL play back then too.

Paul Boudreau is, hands down, one of the worst offensive line coaches in the NFL.

The guy Miami fired to hire Boudreau was much better than him. That was Larry Beightol, who is currently Green Bay's offensive line coach.

Tony Wise is better than both of them.

Originally posted by KBISBACK
Paul Boudreau is, hands down, one of the worst offensive line coaches in the NFL.

The guy Miami fired to hire Boudreau was much better than him. That was Larry Beightol, who is currently Green Bay's offensive line coach.

I'm not much of a talent evaluator, but I do know an NFL player that has played under both Wise and Boudreau who has the exact opposite opinion of the two that you do. My question is - Without the statistics that QB, WR, RB all have to assess their performance - OL players, and thus their coaches, seem to be evaluated on much more subjective terms. So how is one, such as myself, to determine whether your evaluation or that of the NFL player is the correct one?

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: BREAKING NEWS: "Trestman to be QB coach."

Originally posted by Section126
Fat Hank just said it is a done deal....Mark Trestman will be the QB coach.

Awesome! Great Choice!!!

If Norv goes we just hired our next OC

I'd still rather have Jim Fassel as our OC if Norv left but hey, Trestman would be a close 2nd for me.

I'm not convinced that Tony Wise is doing anything more than living off reputation though. Since his days in dallas his lines have done nothing impressive to me, and done a lot of stuff that was DEpressive which includes his work in Carolina just prior to being hired here.

I'd rather not hire Trestman as OC.

His background is in the West Coast Offense, not Norv's offense. Going to the WCO would negate Ricky Williams in the game plan.

If Illinois would just fire him, the perfect guy to replace Norv when he does leave (He won't take the Oakland job) is Ron Turner, Norv's brother.

While I don't agree with the assessment that a WCO negates a RB, the transition to the WCO was one of the reasons I was hesitant about Trestman as an OC. But aside from Jim Fassel, I can't see any other OC candidate out there as qualified as Trestman...unfortunately. That is why I said he would be my second choice at OC.

Thats exactly right!

I remember Boudreau staking his reputation on the fact that Heath Irwin would be that OL stud that we needed, so we gave him a fat contract to sit on the bench. Seems like guys that wanjt to whine about Wise and call Boudreau back forget some of his shortcomings....including our OL's bad pass protection under him. I have pretty much liked all of our OL coaches, and think they all would do just fine with a decent OL.

I think Sanduski was probably the best we had but he had some good players to work with back then.

Ozzy rules!!

I'd rather not hire Trestman as OC.

His background is in the West Coast Offense, not Norv's offense. Going to the WCO would negate Ricky Williams in the game plan.

If Illinois would just fire him, the perfect guy to replace Norv when he does leave (He won't take the Oakland job) is Ron Turner, Norv's brother.

How would the WCO negate Williams in the game plan? The WCO is a ball control style of offense. The only thing that really changes is the pass offense where it's quick reads.

Back
Top Bottom