Brian Baldinger's take on Sewell | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Brian Baldinger's take on Sewell

juniorseau55

Go Fins
Reaction score

He does bring in some valid concerns. He has played tackle in the NFL so he isnt just talking out of his behind. I had known this from game footage I already seen. He needs to work on his footwork as agile, and fast as he is he has room for improvement. He has a high upside, he is 20, and will be darn good in the NFL.

Every player needs to work on something. He referenced Wirfs, Becton, and Wills in the video. Go read on what was said about them coming out. None were perfect, there were questions about each of them.

I think Sewell will be better than all of them.

As always.... The top 10 of the draft is fluid as to where players are slotted. Take for instance the 2021 draft. Players are moving up and down based on workouts and interviews and so forth. We know who goes Number 1. But what do the Jets do at 2? What do we do at 3? Parsons has some off the field ****. Devonta Smith has size issues. Also, there are too many pro-days left to finalize a draft board right now. So.....

Common draft logic says If you’re picking in the top 5, you better get a QB or an absolute difference maker (see Chase Young). Here’s the question: Is Sewell an absolute difference maker? Is he an actual “Generational” LT? Based on Baldinger’s analysis above, I would say no to the Generational talent. However, the jury is still out on the difference maker part of the equation.

He runs amazingly well for a guy his size. Fluid hips. Great punch. I think he’s still learning footwork and learning not to get over his feet and off-balance. From everything I’ve seen, when his mechanics are good, he deletes defenders from plays. I love his aggressiveness.

My final word is this: I love this guy. A little polishing and he’s a 12 year answer at LT for any organization. Most likely he’ll be in multiple pro-bowls and maybe even a few all-pro teams. BUT.... I don’t like him at 3. I like him way better at 6 or even 8. I am starting to believe we have to trade down in this draft. I’m not sure we have any choice. Take the best deal we can get and slide down.

Sewell represents potential. Frame and athleticism. But, he's neither consistent nor polished enough. IMHO, in the run game he is too inconsistent for my tastes. Sure, he gets his pancakes, and he definitely has power. But, I worry he'll get stymied too often. In pass protection, I'm a believer. He may need to smooth out a few rough edges, but he's got those elite traits.

I'd love the prospect ... but I'm not taking him at #3 overall. Trevor Lawrence, Zack Wilson and Ja'Marr Chase would be the value picks in the top 3 for me. Trading back is definitely a consideration depending upon the offer(s) we receive. I'd rather take Rashawn Slater at #8 than Sewell at #3.

Maybe I'm in the minority but there are multiple players I'd pleased about drafting. Sewell happens to be one of them. Not necessarily an advocate for taking him at #3 but ultimately wouldn't be disappointed if went that route either. Feel like this year my draft preference has been an ever changing concept. Usually I fall in love with a prospect and if we don't draft him I'm super salty. This year there are many doors I'd be happy to open prospect wise. Also the prospect I'm love with isn't top 3 material. I do love me some Javonte Williams though.... Beyond ecstatic if we managed to pull that rabbit out of the hat. But that's a different topic. On topic, Sewell, not screaming myself horse if we take him.

I love the player, but I don't think we stay at 3. There is too much value in the pick--can still be a top 10 pick and net us an additional 2nd rounder this year and a first next.

IMO, when you're picking 3, it's more important to pick an impact player than it is to fill a need.

The Trailblazers didn't pick Jordan because they needed a C and had Clyde Drexler.

We are all just working schmucks with different degrees of knowledge. Our FO are professionals. They get paid millions of dollars. In turn, we schmuck get the benefit of hindsight to judge them.

Whomever is the pick, whatever is the trade, they better get it right.

As always.... The top 10 of the draft is fluid as to where players are slotted. Take for instance the 2021 draft. Players are moving up and down based on workouts and interviews and so forth. We know who goes Number 1. But what do the Jets do at 2? What do we do at 3? Parsons has some off the field ****. Devonta Smith has size issues. Also, there are too many pro-days left to finalize a draft board right now. So.....

Common draft logic says If you’re picking in the top 5, you better get a QB or an absolute difference maker (see Chase Young). Here’s the question: Is Sewell an absolute difference maker? Is he an actual “Generational” LT? Based on Baldinger’s analysis above, I would say no to the Generational talent. However, the jury is still out on the difference maker part of the equation.

He runs amazingly well for a guy his size. Fluid hips. Great punch. I think he’s still learning footwork and learning not to get over his feet and off-balance. From everything I’ve seen, when his mechanics are good, he deletes defenders from plays. I love his aggressiveness.

My final word is this: I love this guy. A little polishing and he’s a 12 year answer at LT for any organization. Most likely he’ll be in multiple pro-bowls and maybe even a few all-pro teams. BUT.... I don’t like him at 3. I like him way better at 6 or even 8. I am starting to believe we have to trade down in this draft. I’m not sure we have any choice. Take the best deal we can get and slide down.
I think the issue with this draft is there is a lot of good, maybe even great players, but only Lawrence jumps off the page as a complete, elite prospect. Smith has size concerns. Chase sat out 2020. Sewell has room to improve. Parsons has alleged character issues. Pitts is more of an oversized WR than TE. Waddle is coming off injury and more of a slot guy. To clarify, I like all of these players, but I really don’t see much of a drop off between any of them. I do think the addition of Wilson means we aren’t looking at Sewell, but might target interior guys day 2.

Interesting video. Every single player has bad plays or just gets beat. Its gonna happen. Sewell, is solid but Id don't want him at 3. We need to trade 3 back to 8-12.
He’s not “generational”

Back
Top Bottom