Brian Baldinger's take on Sewell | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Brian Baldinger's take on Sewell

There is no player who doesn’t have some flaws in his game. Obviously Sewell will need to continue to develop once he comes into the NFL. Yet he is far ahead of every other offensive lineman in the draft at this stage of his development.

The Dolphins have a below average OL at this time and adding an upgrade at center in free agency and hopefully drafting Sewell at 3 will go a long way in turning the offensive line into a strength instead of a weakness.

There is no player who doesn’t have some flaws in his game. Obviously Sewell will need to continue to develop once he comes into the NFL. Yet he is far ahead of every other offensive lineman in the draft at this stage of his development.

The Dolphins have a below average OL at this time and adding an upgrade at center in free agency and hopefully drafting Sewell at 3 will go a long way in turning the offensive line into a strength instead of a weakness.
I'm curious why anybody would think the offense would be a strength just because we would have a good Oline blocking for a bottom 5 supporting cast.

I'm curious why anybody would think the offense would be a strength just because we would have a good Oline blocking for a bottom 5 supporting cast.
If they pick Sewell at three, they still have 3 more raft picks in the top 50 to add skill position players. They can also add an upgrade at RB or WR in free agency.
I don’t understand why anybody would think that adding upgrades at the skill positions would benefit the offense if the OL can’t open holes in the running game or protect the QB in the passing game.

The game is won is won in the trenches. Without a solid offensive and defensive line, you aren’t going to win a SB in the NFL.

If they pick Sewell at three, they still have 3 more raft picks in the top 50 to add skill position players. They can also add an upgrade at RB or WR in free agency.
I don’t understand why anybody would think that adding upgrades at the skill positions would benefit the offense if the OL can’t open holes in the running game or protect the QB in the passing game.

The game is won is won in the trenches. Without a solid offensive and defensive line, you aren’t going to win a SB in the NFL.
100% agree with you, but the "solid" part is what I'm trying to get to. Using the #3 pick in the draft on a tackle is trying to go beyond "solid" and trying to get to "elite" and in my opinion that's a gigantic waste of resources in today's NFL.

100% agree with you, but the "solid" part is what I'm trying to get to. Using the #3 pick in the draft on a tackle is trying to go beyond "solid" and trying to get to "elite" and in my opinion that's a gigantic waste of resources in today's NFL.
I watched Oregon play a few games in 2019 and I came away thinking that Sewell WAS an elite talent. So while I wouldn’t want to see the Dolphins use the third pick in the draft on any other offensive lineman, I would have no problem if they use it on Sewell.

Of course if they use that pick to draft a WR, I won’t be upset either. Yet if they pass on Sewell at 3, I hope they use their second pick in the first round to draft one of the other offensive linemen ranked in the top 32 players.

I think adding a center in free agency, a top offensive lineman in the first round , along with 2 WR’s and a RB with their first four picks would go a long way in building a top 10 offense.

I watched Oregon play a few games in 2019 and I came away thinking that Sewell WAS an elite talent. So while I wouldn’t want to see the Dolphins use the third pick in the draft on any other offensive lineman, I would have no problem if they use it on Sewell.

Of course if they use that pick to draft a WR, I won’t be upset either. Yet if they pass on Sewell at 3, I hope they use their second pick in the first round to draft one of the other offensive linemen ranked in the top 32 players.

I think adding a center in free agency, a top offensive lineman in the first round , along with 2 WR’s and a RB with their first four picks would go a long way in building a top 10 offense.
Yup, I'd prefer to get a good lineman at 18 if I can't trade up and get one of Smith/Chase/Waddle/Pitts.

It's one pick. How is that a "gigantic" waste of recources?

Like I have said many times, Sewell @ 3 is not my preferred course of action, but let's not overstate the situation.

It isn't an either/or situation.

Miami has so many ways to address needs with the 9th most money to spend in FA and 4 draft picks in the top 50.

If Miami were to sign Golladay and Jonnu Smith, then Sewell would certainly be in play at 3 if they do not trade down.

If Miami were to sign Linsley, then they might incline to pass on Sewell.

Or might choose to go the route of drafting Chase/Smith/Waddle/Pitts at 3 and draft Slater or Vera-Tucker at 18.

Of Grier/Flo think Parsons is the solution to Miami's thin LB unit he might go.

Or, or, or...

Reality is "no one" on this board knows for sure. Grier/Flo do not even know how this is doing to unfold right now and they do not seem like they would lock themselves in to a particular player without providing flexibility as free agency and events leading up to the draft unfolds.

I have never thought there would be some blockbuster haul, due to the circumstances, but what has really chanded as far as potential suitors?

Don't confuse hype and rumor with reality. Also don't dismiss the possibility of moving down past where some would prefer.

Now, if some of these teams hand out a big contract to one of the FA QBs, that could change the landscape.

I didn't really see Philly or Atl as likely from the start.
I think what has changed is the likelihood that the Jets are going to take Wilson at #2. If the Jets were going to pass on a QB, then #3 becomes very desirable. Of course if the Jets we’re going to pass on a QB at 2 then they would be likely to trade out of that spot any way so I just blathered on and basically said what you said in the first place. Nothing really has changed 😄

Ain't no way in hell Grier takes that kid at 3. Zero. Projects better @G in the NFL.

He could conceivably have the biggest slide of any of the early hyped payers IMO.
If the Fins can't trade out at 3 Sewell could be the pick.

Sewell won't make it past the Bengals at 5.

It's one pick. How is that a "gigantic" waste of recources?

Like I have said many times, Sewell @ 3 is not my preferred course of action, but let's not overstate the situation.

It isn't an either/or situation.
All picks are not equal. This is the best shot they have had to add someone of this kind of caliber since 2008, then 2005, and before that their inaugural year in 1966.

Let's not undersell the value of this pick.

I love the player, but I don't think we stay at 3. There is too much value in the pick--can still be a top 10 pick and net us an additional 2nd rounder this year and a first next.
When we traded up from #12 to #3 to pick Dion Jordan we only switched picks and gave the Raiders a second round pick

Last edited:
All picks are not equal. This is the best shot they have had to add someone of this kind of caliber since 2008, then 2005, and before that their inaugural year in 1966.

Let's not undersell the value of this pick.
I don't undervalue the pick, though in this specific case, it would be better if there were an all world pass rushing prospect.

It is still only one pick though, and we do have another rd1, and 2 rd2 picks.

I think having that much high rd capital puts us in a position where more combinations of things can make sense, as opposed to only one viable option.

I think some fans/posters get "tunnelvision", and believe there is only one acceptable path.

I just don't see it as that "black and white" where if someone doesn't agree, that somehow makes them an idiot.

I know you don't generally go down the insult road, but there are many who do.

Back
Top Bottom