Buffalo Bison fiasco | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Buffalo Bison fiasco

SDFinFan

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Now with Drew Bledsoe signed, the Bison have spent 2 consecutive 1st round picks on guys that might never start for them. Barring significant injury to either starter, McGahee and Losman are unlikely to see any playing time. Quite a huge price to pay for backups at best. But don't worry Bison fan you won't make the same mistake next year - since you don't have your #1 pick anymore!! :roflmao:

:lol: :roflmao: :lol: :roflmao:

Willis McGahee is 100% and will see significant playing time this year. As will Lee Evans. Try learning a little about other teams before you post. If you spent as much time doing this as you did putting up emoticons your posts would make more sense.

baalworship said:
Willis McGahee is 100% and will see significant playing time this year. As will Lee Evans. Try learning a little about other teams before you post. If you spent as much time doing this as you did putting up emoticons your posts would make more sense.

Lee Evans is a decent pick, but you have to look at Buffalo's needs - O-Line, DBs, and D-Line. So what do they do? Draft an injured RB and the 4th rated QB. The worst part is that Losman won't start for years at best. Why give up next year's #1 for him? Also, it was said that with Bledsoe's uncertain contract situation, that he was drafted as insurance. Now Bledsoe is locked up. So what the reason to draft Losman now? As a backup?

Now there's no way you can tell me that McGahee is 100%. His injury was worst than Jamal Anderson or Garrison Hearst. Travis Henry is a solid RB and unless he has a contract issue, he will be in Buffalo for years to come. McGahee and Rosenhaus pulled a fast one on Bills management. Don't be surprised if McGahee never gets any significant playing time, with any team.

Tom Donahoe had JP Losman in the same bunch with Manning, Roethlisberger, and Rivers. Using your logic Miami should have passed on Dan Marino and Buffalo should have passed on Jim Kelly because others QB's were taken earlier. The truth is this QB class was very talented and Losman is a better prospect than Patrick Ramsey. I know you think everyone needs to look in the scrap heap for a QB but once every 20 years I will allow my franchise to draft a QB in the first. Hey, it worked the last time...

Don't hate on Buffalo because we don't plan on starting Travis Brown or Kurt Warner or Jeff Blake or whatever garbage is out there in 2005 if Bledsoe plays bad again. Good GM's think more than 1 year ahead.

As for McGahee, he is 100% healthy. Mularkey is already designing plays for him so I am trying to follow what you are saying. Here is an update on him. BTW, he just got a tattoo that says, "Guess Who's Back" on his neck. That doesn't sound like he's planning on sitting on the bench to me!

Willis McGahee 100%

But based on you emphasis on CONTRIBUTIONS the Bills have 2 1st rounders that will play a big role this year. McGahee and Evans. Losman will be a viable backup by week 8.

Buffalo needed a WR. With Evans they kinda went with the obvious. They lost Peerless Price, and Price+Moulds+Bledsoe seemed to work wonders in 2002 so they grabbed Evans who is a lot like Peerless Price the way he plays. Problem there is, well he's a rookie. It took Peerless like 3 years before he got to where he got.

Gotta hand one thing to Donahoe. He is looking out for that team's future. He's drafting people into a window where if they all come alive like they could, Buffalo will be super bowl contenders for multiple years. Losman, Evans, McGahee...they could all come alive 2-3 years down the road and all the sudden they are a force.

Course, that leaves them stranded in the present...

ckparrothead said:
Unfortunately that means he's only 1 of 32.

Gruden was talking about the 4 top QB's as well. The Giants obviously only had 1. Losman has equal or better talent than all the QB's taken ahead of him according to Sam Wyche. Not only did Wyche play QB himself in the NFL, he coached a team in the Superbowl AND he tutored Joe Montana and Boomer Esiason. What current Dolphin scout knows more about NFL QB's than Sam Wyche?

buffalo sucks d#@$

Mod note: Hey, rookie. Welcome to FinHeaven. I may not disagree with your comment here, but I need to tell you that smack talk here is confined to the Smack Forum. Thanks.:)

P4E

Last edited by a moderator:
While I doubt that Willis "won't see significant playing time," I don't believe the hype that he is 100% ready to play. Call it a hunch, I just don't buy it. I do hope that he doesn't turn out to be another Yatil Green. The guy hasn't had an NFL linebacker nail him or any backer nail him, for that matter in a long while. Mini camp and training camp will be a big test imo.

I think many Bills fans are banking on Willis coming in taking over the starting role and then trading Henry for a first round pick next year. Personally, I don't see that happening. Henry to me, doesn't scream franchise back like Ricky, Preist, LT, or even Curtis Martin, back when he was still relevant. However, I could be wrong there too. The best case scenario for us is for Henry to run decent and Willis to do decent but not great. Then Buffalo will be in a real conflict next year with who to get rid of or keep. I don't think Willis will want to be a backup for long and Henry won't sit too well with being a second stringer either. That should be an interesting drama to watch as a fin fan.

Losman. I don't know, and frankly, right now, I don't care. A lot of fin fans wanted him here, so I don't think we should really be making fun of the pick, unless of course he does turn out to be the next Rob Johnson and the Bills tank the season and lose their top pick to the Cowboys while Bledsoe finishes his career. Then, we can make fun. Until then, it is too early in my view.

Lee Evans was a good pick in my eyes. I wouldn't have minded picking him up had he fell. My prediction is he starts as a number three recevier but works his way into the starting lineup by midseason.

THAT IS ALL.

I think Henry would be definately worth a first rounder a mid to late one anyway...He's experienced and probably didnt get used all that much by gilbride, or at least properly...Add to the fact that Bledsoe isnt a great qb at throwing to the underneath guy when his recievers are covered so henry was missing out on alot of receptions the last couple years as well...Also last year he played through injuries and still had an ok year and from what i saw didnt complain. Sure at the beginnin of the season he complained when they drafted Willis, but that was just a first reaction to a wierd move by the bills.

Losman's got a strong arm. I still think Buff gave up way to much to get the guy, but who knows. Time will tell.

Well, as they say in Buffalo talk shows, "The Time Of Willis McGahee Draws Near...."

Cue Triumphant Music.

Since there seems to be so many opinions on Losman I'll give you the party line.

Sam Wyche:
On quarterback J.P. Losman:

J.P. is a guy that we ranked right there in the bulk of guys including the top three people. I wouldn't say we said he was the best in the draft but he was right there with them. Some times when you put them in lists like that, they are not equidistant from each other. They are very tight in terms of our feelings towards him and the other picks. He was a guy that we said going into the draft, if we end up with him we have a good player. The thinking was from Mike Mularkey that if we don't draft one this year we're going to have to go get one next year. We can't go on and on restocking here. Why this year rather than wait until next year and have a raw rookie that has another year to wait before he's ready to go before he's ready to go to play. We'll give him that playing time, spend that next year's draft now and get the advantage of the playing time between now and next year. He's not coming in to take the opener. He's got a very comfortable transition period here.

On Losman's skills:

He's an athlete. He's got quick feet. He makes quick judgments and gets out of that pocket when he needs to. He played on a team, I wouldn't say they weren't a good football team, but they did break down occasionally and was forced to scramble around. I went down to the work out with J.P. and Eli Manning was there. J.P. has a stronger arm. If he just works the pace of the ball, he's got more arm that way. He is a very confident kid. There is an obnoxious ****y that you don't want to be around, this is not J.P. There is also a confidence ****y that draws you in and that you rally around.

On Losman's mechanics:

How I feel about mechanics is this, you have a guy that throws off his right foot and his left foot in the air and he's good, don't screw him up. Let him throw it the way he wants to. When I was playing ball, I roomed with Sunny Jurgensen. Sunny would practice the off balance throw and behind the back. Sometimes you can't set yourself. He sets a lot. They pulled a lot of pictures out but it's not the normal.

He's smart he's got football poise. My definition of that is in the 3.5 seconds that you give a quarterback from the time he takes the exchange, he's got to make a decision and unload it. He's got to not only know where everybody on the field is, he's got to know his opponent and where their strength and weakness is to throw. He's quick. He's got excellent recall where that alternate receiver is which is important.

On Losman being ****y:

I compare him to Boomer. When we drafted Boomer Esiason, he was like this kid. He came in and he wasn't saying that he was going to be anything. He just says when I get my chance I'm going to be ready to show you what I got. That's where this kid is. Boomer was that way too. That's not ****y to me.

On picking a quarterback this year:

There's always pressure but you take your best shot. You make a decision. The worst thing you can do is to say lets wait until something else happens and pretty soon you find out that you waited until late. Make a decision on a guy, you're not going to be right every time, make your decision and go. I think that's what Mike Mularkey did. I'm relaying his thinking of why wait until next year to spend a first round pick which you might not be able to get anybody any way. If we have a good year we'll be picking to late to do it. Lets spend that now and spend the year with this guy that we like as well as anybody we think we'll be seeing in a year. Let him play behind Drew for a year and then next year he's going to be a year into it, rather than a raw rookie.

On Losman's technique:

I didn't agree with ESPN. He's got good foot work. He's got the protection. He sets, releases the ball. He's got great movement to his left. When he is throwing the ball to the left a quarterback has to move his left hip. I tell quarterbacks don't every throw under me, throw the ball to the left. Don't ever throw the ball to the right. You always throw the ball straight ahead to the left or right side of the field. You have to set yourself to do it. Your accuracy comes back into play. He is excellent when he goes to his left he opens up and it's like the line of scrimmage. Technique wise, I'm out of a job if there is not something to improve and something to work on. Being able to throw without the technique is another plus, it's not a negative.

On Buffalo weather:

It's beautiful here at the early part of the year. You will be playing on the road. You can name a lot of cities that have the same weather situation. Even the cities in the south may end of playing a couple of times a year in extreme weather conditions. It's just part of the game.

On rankings:

When you rank teams sometimes you'll have a team that's ranked 17 and they're four yards per game average away from the team that's ranked number ten. The rankings aren't as important as how well you are doing. Are you winning the offensive side of the ball game?

On importance of a quarterback:

The quarterbacks got the ball in his hand on every snap. He takes the ball and gives it to this guy or he throws it to somebody. He's got to be good. He's the key offensive figure on the field. You have to have a good one. You're not going to win enough games unless you have a good one.

On breaking down J.P. compared to the other QB drafts:

He's quicker and niftier in the pocket getting out. He's a scrappy kind of a guy. He makes a decision and goes with it. He has as strong an arm as the other three guys. In terms of the decision making, he's going to be able to do anything we ask. This kid is right there with Boomer.

On what to expect from J.P:

You don't want to build a picture of this guy as the new sheriff in town. It's not it at all. You will find that you will be attracted to his confidence. That's different than being the negative connotation to being ****y that some guys get. Sometimes you get it repeated enough that you keep looking for the prophecy to be fulfilled. He's not going to be anything but hard working, blue collar. He will be in that offensive line room listening to what they have to say. Our other quarterbacks already do that so he's going to fit right in to where we are.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom