Buffalo Bison fiasco | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Buffalo Bison fiasco

Since we have some Bills fans here, maybe someone can answer me this...
I thought the only reason(s) McGahee left is because he had a silly sophomore season, and the fact that he was probably not gonna beat out Gore, not because he is a franchise running back. Can someone shed some light on this??

Uhmm if 30 year old problem child Corey Dillon is worth a 2nd then wouldnt Henry be worth more than that being younger and not an ***?

stan marino said:
Uhmm if 30 year old problem child Corey Dillon is worth a 2nd then wouldnt Henry be worth more than that being younger and not an ***?
The only reason the Pats gave up a 2nd for Dillon was because they had extra picks. The only other team to even offer 3rd was Oakland. I think the most they will get for Henry is a late 1st, but most likely a 2nd rounder.

Dr.Rad said:
I thought the only reason(s) McGahee left is because he had a silly sophomore season, and the fact that he was probably not gonna beat out Gore, not because he is a franchise running back. Can someone shed some light on this??

Alot of people thought Gore was the better RB until this year. Before he got hurt, the Canes running game wasnt close to as explosive as it was when Willis was there.

You cant say the Miami team wasnt as good as the team Willis had because they just broke the record for the most 1st round picks taken from one school this year.

McGahee has had the longest time off of any RB after an injury like that. He is stronger and faster than he was at Miami. He his 6'1 235 and chiseled right now.

I find it hard to think that any defense can stop Henry and McGahee both.

McGahee was cleared to play the last month of last year...and they didn't rush him in.

Add another half year to that.

He isn't rehabbing anymore...his knee is 100%.

Dr.Rad said:

McGahee had one of the best seasons a college runningback EVER had and was a guaranteed top 5 pick before his injury. The Bills thought he was a top 1-2 talent. The Miami runningbacks coach said McGahee was the best Miami back ever and that list included Edgerrin James, Gore, and Clinton Portis.

I am sure that Gore played a part in that McGahee didn't want to rehab AND fight his way back up the depth chart. Why not rehab and get picked in the first round. Are you saying Clinton Portis is no good because he left early because he knew Gore and McGahee were looking over his shoulder?

Portis has already passed Ricky Williams. McGahee will pass both of them soon enough.

Dr.Rad said:

Mcgahee shattered every single season record the University of Miami ever had for Running Backs. There was no way Gore (who wasn't the prospect of say Portis or Edge) was going to get that spot back. He came out becuase of the injury. It was better for him to take a chance based on his accomplishments with the injury...than wait a year to get back into college play.

Well, I'm not a Jills fan, but I envy them for having McGahee...He was not slated to start over Gore, but that tells you of the depth and talent that UM has, not a deficiency in McGahee. He is, to me, a Terrell Davis type runner that is faster then Davis was, but just as powerful. We can't knock the Bills for wanting him to be 100%, hopefully, he won't be quite as good as before (well, not really, I don't hope that) but I just don't see how you can use both Henry and Willis in the same backfield. I think that will cause problems. While one is running the other will have to block...Henry has been very adult about this situation, but I think he is the 2nd best back and that's sets you guys up for a rift between players.

Loseman's pick, at best is a distraction for now. He will take 2 years to develop into a good qb. But having Mullarky there is a plus. If you guys have to throw him into a game this season, you could be setting him up for disaster. That would be the worst thing that could happen....If you get impatient with Drew or he gets hurt, that is just the kind of thing that will set him back. If he gets out there and is not too successful, with his attitude, he could back off and that would set his progress back. Then where would you be after this season, cause Drew may not have that much left. He is too raw to be put into the spotlight yet, so be careful when you are booing Drew this season.

DolphinDevil28 said:
Losman...blah blah blah...McGahee...blah blah blah...yada yada yada...

We're still going to sweep you.

TRUDOLPHAN said:
buffalo sucks d#@$

Beetlejuice from Howard Stern could talk football better than that :lol:

SDFinFan said:
Lee Evans is a decent pick, but you have to look at Buffalo's needs - O-Line, DBs, and D-Line. .
Other than possibly a DE ,last years no. 2 ranked D does not need anymore D players than your aging (Seau and Zach...Greenwood who?) D.

As far as the OL goes, unless you are in anyway shape or form better than Mcnally, I'll take his decision over your opinion anyday.

baalworship said:
Well, as they say in Buffalo talk shows, "The Time Of Willis McGahee Draws Near...."

Cue Triumphant Music.

Since there seems to be so many opinions on Losman I'll give you the party line.

Sam Wyche:
On quarterback J.P. Losman:

J.P. is a guy that we ranked right there in the bulk of guys including the top three people. I wouldn't say we said he was the best in the draft but he was right there with them. Some times when you put them in lists like that, they are not equidistant from each other. They are very tight in terms of our feelings towards him and the other picks. He was a guy that we said going into the draft, if we end up with him we have a good player. The thinking was from Mike Mularkey that if we don't draft one this year we're going to have to go get one next year. We can't go on and on restocking here. Why this year rather than wait until next year and have a raw rookie that has another year to wait before he's ready to go before he's ready to go to play. We'll give him that playing time, spend that next year's draft now and get the advantage of the playing time between now and next year. He's not coming in to take the opener. He's got a very comfortable transition period here.

On Losman's skills:

He's an athlete. He's got quick feet. He makes quick judgments and gets out of that pocket when he needs to. He played on a team, I wouldn't say they weren't a good football team, but they did break down occasionally and was forced to scramble around. I went down to the work out with J.P. and Eli Manning was there. J.P. has a stronger arm. If he just works the pace of the ball, he's got more arm that way. He is a very confident kid. There is an obnoxious ****y that you don't want to be around, this is not J.P. There is also a confidence ****y that draws you in and that you rally around.

On Losman's mechanics:

How I feel about mechanics is this, you have a guy that throws off his right foot and his left foot in the air and he's good, don't screw him up. Let him throw it the way he wants to. When I was playing ball, I roomed with Sunny Jurgensen. Sunny would practice the off balance throw and behind the back. Sometimes you can't set yourself. He sets a lot. They pulled a lot of pictures out but it's not the normal.

He's smart he's got football poise. My definition of that is in the 3.5 seconds that you give a quarterback from the time he takes the exchange, he's got to make a decision and unload it. He's got to not only know where everybody on the field is, he's got to know his opponent and where their strength and weakness is to throw. He's quick. He's got excellent recall where that alternate receiver is which is important.

On Losman being ****y:

I compare him to Boomer. When we drafted Boomer Esiason, he was like this kid. He came in and he wasn't saying that he was going to be anything. He just says when I get my chance I'm going to be ready to show you what I got. That's where this kid is. Boomer was that way too. That's not ****y to me.

On picking a quarterback this year:

There's always pressure but you take your best shot. You make a decision. The worst thing you can do is to say lets wait until something else happens and pretty soon you find out that you waited until late. Make a decision on a guy, you're not going to be right every time, make your decision and go. I think that's what Mike Mularkey did. I'm relaying his thinking of why wait until next year to spend a first round pick which you might not be able to get anybody any way. If we have a good year we'll be picking to late to do it. Lets spend that now and spend the year with this guy that we like as well as anybody we think we'll be seeing in a year. Let him play behind Drew for a year and then next year he's going to be a year into it, rather than a raw rookie.

On Losman's technique:

I didn't agree with ESPN. He's got good foot work. He's got the protection. He sets, releases the ball. He's got great movement to his left. When he is throwing the ball to the left a quarterback has to move his left hip. I tell quarterbacks don't every throw under me, throw the ball to the left. Don't ever throw the ball to the right. You always throw the ball straight ahead to the left or right side of the field. You have to set yourself to do it. Your accuracy comes back into play. He is excellent when he goes to his left he opens up and it's like the line of scrimmage. Technique wise, I'm out of a job if there is not something to improve and something to work on. Being able to throw without the technique is another plus, it's not a negative.

On Buffalo weather:

It's beautiful here at the early part of the year. You will be playing on the road. You can name a lot of cities that have the same weather situation. Even the cities in the south may end of playing a couple of times a year in extreme weather conditions. It's just part of the game.

On rankings:

When you rank teams sometimes you'll have a team that's ranked 17 and they're four yards per game average away from the team that's ranked number ten. The rankings aren't as important as how well you are doing. Are you winning the offensive side of the ball game?

On importance of a quarterback:

The quarterbacks got the ball in his hand on every snap. He takes the ball and gives it to this guy or he throws it to somebody. He's got to be good. He's the key offensive figure on the field. You have to have a good one. You're not going to win enough games unless you have a good one.

On breaking down J.P. compared to the other QB drafts:

He's quicker and niftier in the pocket getting out. He's a scrappy kind of a guy. He makes a decision and goes with it. He has as strong an arm as the other three guys. In terms of the decision making, he's going to be able to do anything we ask. This kid is right there with Boomer.

On what to expect from J.P:

You don't want to build a picture of this guy as the new sheriff in town. It's not it at all. You will find that you will be attracted to his confidence. That's different than being the negative connotation to being ****y that some guys get. Sometimes you get it repeated enough that you keep looking for the prophecy to be fulfilled. He's not going to be anything but hard working, blue collar. He will be in that offensive line room listening to what they have to say. Our other quarterbacks already do that so he's going to fit right in to where we are.

baal - WHAT do you think your coaches and front office are going to say about a guy that was drafted with a 1st rounder? OF course they are all going to say this guy is a a stud. ALL the coaches and FO's say that after the draft. GIMME a break! IMO Sam Wyche is NOT the reason for Montana and Boomer E. They were good QB's and Sam just happened to be the coach at the time. There were more QB's under him that NEVER did pan out. That is like claiming Wanny is the reason Ricky is good!

Losman's got a strong arm. I still think Buff gave up way to much to get the guy, but who knows. Time will tell.

Thanks Aqua, that is my WHOLE point! he may end up being great. You never know. He could end up being a Rob Johnson or a Ryan Leaf... Either way I still think the price they gave for him was high.

Well at least Losman's daddy didnt say he wasnt goin to play for any certain teams...:)

With Gilbride as Eli's OC, I hope he is this years Ramsey. The human pinball.

Hey Buffalo Boy...

Go bang your Bills drum somewhere else. We really don't care about JP Benchwarmer or Willis McGimpy or Badknee Evans.

Your team has line issues on both sides of the ball and is a perennial cellar dwellar. They wil be again this year.

The crystal ball shows another year of frustrations for the pot bellied, wing munchers from the northeast.

Justasportsfan said:
With Gilbride as Eli's OC, I hope he is this years Ramsey. The human pinball.

LOLOL.. Pretty likely. Man the guy was awful.

Back
Top Bottom