Bursting the massive trade bubbles | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bursting the massive trade bubbles

Equalizer

Phin Fan
Reaction score

seeing all these "rumours" and trade down scenarios that have us picking up 3 picks including possibly 2 in the 1st for our 1st has had me mystified. I mean OK if it was a great year and several cut-n-dry all-pro HOF players looked to be available, maybe... maybe because you get a bidding war going.

But were talking about this year and people are actualy mentioning 2 #1 picks for moving up 3 spots... are you kidding me???? No NFL coach would be that stupid... and Saban is not stupid enough to think that might happen... if we trade down 3 picks I would think maybe a first and a 4th or 5th (3rd would be amazing). Shoot I think the Pats could probably trade up with us for there 1st and 2nd.

I will go out on a limb and say that Saban has done just enough of nothing while looking at his prospects that we will pull one of TB's 1st and 3rds for it.

EQ

Oh yah, a story that also comments on the LOW price of moving up http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/3540428?CMP=OTC-K9B140813162&ATT=5

"The price to move up won't be prohibitive, as it often is. One executive whose team has a top pick says a team interested in trading down probably would move a few spots for a third-round pick."

Its not a matter of your opinion, teams have a chart that shows draft pick trade value, and to trade up from #5 to #2, apparently it is worth a 2nd and 3rd rounder as well.

Are you a pro scout who knows what every team thinks about every player? If so, then your post is right on the money. If not, which it the case, how do you know? It only takes one team to fall in love with a guy and they will pounce.

The Pats for a 1st and 2nd? Thank god you have nothing to do with the Fins decision making.

Equalizer said:

seeing all these "rumours" and trade down scenarios that have us picking up 3 picks including possibly 2 in the 1st for our 1st has had me mystified. I mean OK if it was a great year and several cut-n-dry all-pro HOF players looked to be available, maybe... maybe because you get a bidding war going.

But were talking about this year and people are actualy mentioning 2 #1 picks for moving up 3 spots... are you kidding me???? No NFL coach would be that stupid... and Saban is not stupid enough to think that might happen... if we trade down 3 picks I would think maybe a first and a 4th or 5th (3rd would be amazing). Shoot I think the Pats could probably trade up with us for there 1st and 2nd.

I will go out on a limb and say that Saban has done just enough of nothing while looking at his prospects that we will pull one of TB's 1st and 3rds for it.

EQ

dude, NO ONE trades up 3 spots with a 4th. Look at the trade value chart, we'd be the laughing stock of the NFL if we let tampa trade up for anything less than a first, and 2nd.

Equalizer said:
Not in this market....lol

I agree with you. I think we need to stick CLOSE to the trade chart. But this is just a year when we would have to bend a bit when it comes to trading down.

It is a little different if you look at it like a team is trading up to get a certain player rather than just the number two pick. If Tampa feels that Smith is a franchise type QB, which many feel that they do, then a first second and third is well worth it especially if you don't value any other player in the draft as high as Smith. The same can be said for a team like the Vikes. If they feel that they are one early impact player away from a Super Bowl, then it is well worth it to trade up and get Edwards/Wiliams to give you that impact. When a team truly falls in love with a player, it becomes trading for the player you really want rather than trading for the pick especially if you feel that the draft is weak except for the player you value. Hopefully Saban knows this and sticks to his guns. The worst that happens is we stay at number two and select a player that we value most.

bfishusi said:
It is a little different if you look at it like a team is trading up to get a certain player rather than just the number two pick. If Tampa feels that Smith is a franchise type QB, which many feel that they do, then a first second and third is well worth it especially if you don't value any other player in the draft as high as Smith. The same can be said for a team like the Vikes. If they feel that they are one early impact player away from a Super Bowl, then it is well worth it to trade up and get Edwards/Wiliams to give you that impact. When a team truly falls in love with a player, it becomes trading for the player you really want rather than trading for the pick especially if you feel that the draft is weak except for the player you value. Hopefully Saban knows this and sticks to his guns. The worst that happens is we stay at number two and select a player that we value most.

Well put.

Guys... don't get me wrong I HOPE we get five 1sts!!!

I would also add that if we value most of the top seven the same, I wouldn't be against trading with Tampa for a little less than equal value, maybe a first, second, and later/future pick. Tampa is the only one that I would take less value for because we could still have our choice of three of the top seven players.

Equalizer said:

Last year, the Giants traded two 1st rd, one 3rd rd, and one 5th rd picks to move up 3 spots. If the Bucs or anybody else want a guy bad enough then they'll pay up.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/eli_manning

Finz Fury that was last year with a deep draft at QB. The chance of that happening again this year are the same as Equalizers scenario of us accepting an absurd offer from NE as he proposed.

If TB wants to move up I want atleast a second rounder. If Minny wants to move up I want both there firsts or a first second third and possibly fourth picks. Minny moving up 4 spots for a player they covet is where we can get good value.

With that said if I was Minny I wouldnt budge a muscle for there is talent for them at 7 and 18, theyd be nuts to trade.

its not all about numbers. there is team needs and wants. plus bpa and loyalties. also emotions and grudges. all these things come into play when picking and if u need to only move up 3 spots, but those 3 spots can get u a player that your team is in complete and direr need of and that could make or brake your season. and if the team your trading with knows this then theyll squeeze u for everything u got cause they know they can because u have to have that player. its more complicated then just #s.

umm we traded a 4th to move up in the 20's a fourth to move up three spots to the #2 :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

I think the 2nd and 3rd might be high maybe a 2nd and 4th

NFL DRAFT VALUE SYSTEM
TEAM
2600​
Bucs #5 overall pick​
1800​
--
Bucs #36 (2nd round) pick​
550​
--
Bucs #71 (3rd round) pick​
240​