Bursting the massive trade bubbles | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bursting the massive trade bubbles

"A league source said Wednesday that the Miami Dolphins, who have avidly pursued trading down from the No. 2 overall pick, are on the verge of trading that choice to the Minnesota Vikings for the 7th and 18th picks, as well as another mid-round choice. Several signs point to the deal coming to fruition in the next few days."

uhh...well...hmmm

Great post equalizer. I think everyone is so starry eyed about having a number two pick they keep forgetting this draft is considered one of the worst in years.

If you had a million dollars and went shopping at the 7 Eleven, you still could only buy so much.

I think the talent pros in the NFL know that there is no real seperation between the top five players and the rest of the first two rounds. Why give up volume when there are no real standouts?

Don't back off your position on this. Some people just don't want to face the truth.

I think some people need lessons in supply vs. demand.

When there is a LOW elite talent pool, those teams in positions to draft them possess the MOST desired spots in the draft. Let's break this down.

You walk into a room of 31 fellow Millionaires. The topic of the meeting is "Cornering the Gold Market". The precious metals market just announced there are no more Gold deposits left in the world. However, there are 7 Gold repositories for public auction. YOU and 6 others happen to own ALL 7 repositories. How much competition do you have for your repository? (Seller's Market)

You walk into a room of 31 fellow Millionaires. The topic of the meeting is "Cornering the Gold Market". The precious metals market just announced there are no more Gold deposits left in the world. However, there are 20 Gold repositories for public auction. YOU and 19 others happen to own ALL 20 repositories. How much competition do you have for your 1 repository? (Buyer's Market)

In order for us to receive a "bounty" for a high pick, we NEEDED a draft with few Elite prospects. If we were in last year's draft, we would have not garnered as much for our pick.

And do NOT confuse the price NYG paid SD as a "standard" in a "good draft". NYG and the Manning's had showed their hands. SD called their bluff. They held ALL the power. NYG could NOT afford to NOT acquire Eli. Else, they and the Manning's would have appeared fools for not making it happen. Believe what you want about SD being forced to trade Eli. They held the consensus #1 player in the draft. NYG, by tipping their hand, had placed themselves in a situation in which they could not afford to allow SD to shop Eli around, trust me... a few teams would have jumped on it. NYG paid the price for their own stupidity.

This year is yet another special case. Very few Elite prospects exist. For teams needing "one player" for the SB push OR to begin rebuilding, they must pay dearly to get into position to draft WHO they WANT.

Don't be fooled guys. Saban is playing this correctly. He realizes what he holds @ #2. THIS is HOW you DEAL. Those that believe otherwise, I'm sorry but Wanny has taught you wrong.

NathanHunt said:

When there is a LOW elite talent pool, those teams in positions to draft them possess the MOST desired spots in the draft. Let's break this down.

You walk into a room of 31 fellow Millionaires. The topic of the meeting is "Cornering the Gold Market". The precious metals market just announced there are no more Gold deposits left in the world. However, there are 7 Gold repositories for public auction. YOU and 6 others happen to own ALL 7 repositories. How much competition do you have for your repository? (Seller's Market)

You walk into a room of 31 fellow Millionaires. The topic of the meeting is "Cornering the Gold Market". The precious metals market just announced there are no more Gold deposits left in the world. However, there are 20 Gold repositories for public auction. YOU and 19 others happen to own ALL 20 repositories. How much competition do you have for your 1 repository? (Buyer's Market)

In order for us to receive a "bounty" for a high pick, we NEEDED a draft with few Elite prospects. If we were in last year's draft, we would have not garnered as much for our pick.

And do NOT confuse the price NYG paid SD as a "standard" in a "good draft". NYG and the Manning's had showed their hands. SD called their bluff. They held ALL the power. NYG could NOT afford to NOT acquire Eli. Else, they and the Manning's would have appeared fools for not making it happen. Believe what you want about SD being forced to trade Eli. They held the consensus #1 player in the draft. NYG, by tipping their hand, had placed themselves in a situation in which they could not afford to allow SD to shop Eli around, trust me... a few teams would have jumped on it. NYG paid the price for their own stupidity.

This year is yet another special case. Very few Elite prospects exist. For teams needing "one player" for the SB push OR to begin rebuilding, they must pay dearly to get into position to draft WHO they WANT.

Don't be fooled guys. Saban is playing this correctly. He realizes what he holds @ #2. THIS is HOW you DEAL. Those that believe otherwise, I'm sorry but Wanny has taught you wrong.

Your theory goes to pot when the Gold market is fools gold, or pewter at best. You make the mistake of thinking that there is even one or two "elite" prospects in this draft. There isn't.

And if you believe otherwise I am afraid no one taught you anything.

NathanHunt said:

It's about time somebody set this thread straight.
Everybody knows there are only two elite QBs and two elite WRs....the cost to move up and get one of them is going to be more than if there were 4 elite QBs or WRs because you're going to have to move up higher to get them.

It's simple supply and demand, if the demand exceeds the supply, the prices go up, not down.

I see alot of supply in this draft. The quality is in question which effects the Demand. Alot of players in this draft will make an impact. Take it to the bank. What it is is this draft is not being sold as good. "The experts" i feel are selling short on purpose.

Fin-atic is exactly right.

Given a) the flaws in the top-level talent; b) the relative equality of the talent pool, 1-10; and, c) the fact that there are multiple QB's, WR's, and RB's at the top of that pool - all make this a buyer's market.

Our chances of trading down and getting much for it are slim.

inFINSible said:
It's about time somebody set this thread straight.
Everybody knows there are only two elite QBs and two elite WRs....the cost to move up and get one of them is going to be more than if there were 4 elite QBs or WRs because you're going to have to move up higher to get them.

It's simple supply and demand, if the demand exceeds the supply, the prices go up, not down.

It's nice to see a fellow economists in the bunch! :D

Da 'Fins said:
Fin-atic is exactly right.

Given a) the flaws in the top-level talent; b) the relative equality of the talent pool, 1-10; and, c) the fact that there are multiple QB's, WR's, and RB's at the top of that pool - all make this a buyer's market.

Our chances of trading down and getting much for it are slim.
You are wrong though,...there is no market for RBs or Defensive players because they are too plentiful(the former) or not talented enough (the latter)....but we are promoting specific markets.....

there are only TWO QBs who are top 5 talent....If San Fran grabs one, that creates enormous demand for the ONLY other one...

There is only ONE WR with clearly elite talent... The demand for him doesn't have to be great because the cost is dictated by the supply. Whoever wants him will have to pay through the nose to get him.

Listen Pal if your going to start a thread please do some kind of OBJECTIVE research instead of posting links that just validate your own opinion. You are mystified because you are not a professional anything in the NFL. You are an armchair GM, you know nothing about what Saban or any other coach is thinking. For your info, Minnesota is offering us a first and a mid-round pick to move up to the #2 spot. We are not getting two extra 1st rounders. It is idiotic to believe you could move up in the first round for one mid-round pick(hell you couldn't even do that in the 2nd round!:shakeno: ). Do you work for Mike Nolan or something you sound pretty bitter?
Equalizer said:
Bursting the massive trade bubbles

seeing all these "rumours" and trade down scenarios that have us picking up 3 picks including possibly 2 in the 1st for our 1st has had me mystified. I mean OK if it was a great year and several cut-n-dry all-pro HOF players looked to be available, maybe... maybe because you get a bidding war going.

But were talking about this year and people are actualy mentioning 2 #1 picks for moving up 3 spots... are you kidding me???? No NFL coach would be that stupid... and Saban is not stupid enough to think that might happen... if we trade down 3 picks I would think maybe a first and a 4th or 5th (3rd would be amazing). Shoot I think the Pats could probably trade up with us for there 1st and 2nd.

I will go out on a limb and say that Saban has done just enough of nothing while looking at his prospects that we will pull one of TB's 1st and 3rds for it.

EQ

Oh yah, a story that also comments on the LOW price of moving up http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/3540428?CMP=OTC-K9B140813162&ATT=5

"The price to move up won't be prohibitive, as it often is. One executive whose team has a top pick says a team interested in trading down probably would move a few spots for a third-round pick."

Take this to the bank....either the Dolphins trade out and get their picks they deserve...or they select Edwards.....either way....they don't lose. And for those who think not in this market....why are there three teams interested in trading up with Miami....when last year the only trade was from the Chargers and the Giants....and that was suppose to be a traders market with Manning...fitzgerald and Gallery. Your trading is better this draft than last....and Saban will get his way....or the best rated player in the draft.

Back
Top Bottom