Byron Jones??? | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Byron Jones???

They signed Jones before they drafted Iggy. They obviously didn’t know if Iggy would be available in the draft and even when they drafted him, he was said to be a player who would take time to develop and not be an instant starter.

Also Howard was coming off a year where he was on IR and had knee surgery. So the Dolphins also didn’t know how Howard would come back after surgery.
How about this scenario. They drafted Iggy as X’s replacement. Seems plausible to me. If he’s traded, which is looking more likely, then we see their strategy play out.

He isn't in mandatory minicamp.

ergo, he is not doing what he agreed to do.

That was pretty easy hey.
And the Dolphins can fine him per the CBA, that's pretty easy too.

You are acting like X has done something personally to you, not sure why. This is the business side of the NFL. Happens EVERY years. Don't make it personal, it's business. Miami will either find a compromise, trade him, or fine him and make him play for his contract...of course then they will cut him as soon as they don't believe he is performing up to it and X is SOL at that point.

The so call purists ruin the game also. They refues any changes to improve the game. NBA added shot clock, three point line....NFL changes rules every year. Yet the purists against pitch clock, against electronic assist calling ball and strike. Against to modernize the sport. I am glad i am not a fan of the sport.

Yes the NBA, and NFL for a time, made massive changes to improve the fan experience then jammed social justice down everyone’s throats and people turned them off and stopped attending. We are living in an alternate reality where the business no longer cares about the customer. That’s a really bad business model.

You are acting like X has done something personally to you, not sure why. This is the business side of the NFL. Happens EVERY years. Don't make it personal, it's business. Miami will either find a compromise, trade him, or fine him and make him play for his contract...of course then they will cut him as soon as they don't believe he is performing up to it and X is SOL at that point.
Which is why he got massive guaranteed money up front

Exactly, they can move away from X after this season with only a $2.8m cap hit I believe.
Now it seems quite obvious why they drafted Iggy, who may become the starter sooner rather than later. This is all about the Pats model of trading away good players for high picks while they’re still productive. Flo is definitely a Belichick disciple.

So why does X have to man up and honor his contract but it's OK for the team to cut KVN and not honor the contract?

This is a one sided league where the owners have pretty much all the leverage. X will never have another season like last year so he has to strike while the iron is hot. Holding out is the only leverage the players have. I don't like it, but I don't like that teams can just cut players and not have to honor the contract either.
This has been answered several times...

The players agreed to these rules in their contract with the league.

...and they should fine him for failing to do what he agreed to do.

Now it seems quite obvious why they drafted Iggy, who may become the starter sooner rather than later. This is all about the Pats model of trading away good players for high picks while they’re still productive. Flo is definitely a Belichick disciple.
I have been saying that since they drafted him.

ok...best of luck to you then
I've mentioned this before... you said that you dont like it when teams can cut players and not have to honor the contract.

two things

one, their ability to cut a player and not pay him the parts of that contract that were not guaranteed are IN that contract. They are allowed to do this, so they are honoring the letter of that contract.

two, if what you really mean is that all contracts should be guaranteed, then I will point this out. With a salary cap, this would give money to many players who are out of the league, and leave no money to pay the ones still playing. The players as a whole would not receive one extra dollar. This isn't a players vs. owners thing... the players as a whole are guaranteed a certain percentage of the gross, and they get every dollar of it. Guaranteeing the contracts would not cost the owners one thin dime.

IMO…..

With the comments from X being made, I just don’t see an easy way out of this one.

Grier can give in a little….Guaranteed money….Add a year or 2 onto the deal and increase his pay a little. But, based on principle, I don’t think he should give any more than that. As a matter of fact, if it was me in Grier’s chair, I would give nothing.

X, having made the above referenced comments, has painted himself into a proverbial corner on this. If he comes back without more money, he looks soft and his threats mean nothing. If he continues to hold out, team management and the fan base could turn against him. He’s walking a very thin line.

So, the way I see it is either Grier adds a year or two onto X’s contract and adds some guaranteed money or he trades X to the highest bidder. I don’t see any other outcome that could come about. In other words….I don’t see a huge pay raise coming for X. Can he live with that? We’ll see.

I've mentioned this before... you said that you dont like it when teams can cut players and not have to honor the contract.

two things

one, their ability to cut a player and not pay him the parts of that contract that were not guaranteed are IN that contract. They are allowed to do this, so they are honoring the letter of that contract.

two, if what you really mean is that all contracts should be guaranteed, then I will point this out. With a salary cap, this would give money to many players who are out of the league, and leave no money to pay the ones still playing. The players as a whole would not receive one extra dollar. This isn't a players vs. owners thing... the players as a whole are guaranteed a certain percentage of the gross, and they get every dollar of it. Guaranteeing the contracts would not cost the owners one thin dime.
I understand that point, and guaranteeing salaries is probably not the best answer. I don't have the best answer, but I don't scream from the tree tops when a team cuts a player (unless it's one I like, then it's just being a fan) and I don't scream from the tree tops when a player holds out for more money. I could agree the case for both sides, and neither are completely wrong or completely right. However, this is the ONLY leverage a player has.

As a fan I don't like what he is doing, but understanding the business acumen to what is going on I have no issue with him doing it. After this year he could literally haver no income from football. I have said it many times and will continue to say it, the players have to strike while the iron is hot, and X's will never be as hot as it is right now.

I understand that point, and guaranteeing salaries is probably not the best answer. I don't have the best answer, but I don't scream from the tree tops when a team cuts a player (unless it's one I like, then it's just being a fan) and I don't scream from the tree tops when a player holds out for more money. I could agree the case for both sides, and neither are completely wrong or completely right. However, this is the ONLY leverage a player has.

As a fan I don't like what he is doing, but understanding the business acumen to what is going on I have no issue with him doing it. After this year he could literally haver no income from football. I have said it many times and will continue to say it, the players have to strike while the iron is hot, and X's will never be as hot as it is right now.
...and I understand your point, but I'm a big believer in the old ideals-- doing what you agreed to do, having honor, making sure that people can trust your word.

...and I believe the NFL players as a whole also agree to this, because they agreed to the new fine structure that will allow the 'phins to HEAVILY fine X for refusing to fulfill his end of the contract.

And I might agree with the 'he might have no income after this year' angle if not for the fact that this is true for 95% of the league's players, and the fact that he's already got the team on the hook for enough money that he'll never have to work again in his life.

I'm not seeing the need... only the greed and lack of keeping his word. I'm old school... these things are disqualifying.

You would be right. If X was the very first and only player to hold out in NFL history.
Every org is different which is why you have perennial losers and winners. Same teams same old crap. Not this team-anymore

Back
Top Bottom