C.b.s. Ultimate Mock | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

C.b.s. Ultimate Mock

Drafting a qb is the dumbest thing we could in the first round with so many holes on this roster. Still no RG, two lineback spots totally vacant, no TE on the roster worthy of being an nfl starter.

The love for these qbs being shown by gase is all smoke.

Drafting a qb is the dumbest thing we could in the first round with so many holes on this roster. Still no RG, two lineback spots totally vacant, no TE on the roster worthy of being an nfl starter.

The love for these qbs being shown by gase is all smoke.

A great QB hides many deficiencies of a team.

If Cleveland trades the #4 pick to help the Pats for the next decade I will personally go to their HQ and take a dump on their front steps.
Hard for me to believe that BB will use all those picks to move up for a QB and here's why. I totally believe that BB will be gone soon. He might coach a couple of more years but I really think he's getting to the end so why give away picks for a QB that he probably won't start till he's gone when he can use the picks to get players that will help him win now? So for that reason, I don't believe he'll go up for a QB. Now he might draft a QB at some point but trading 3 1st round picks for one? I don't think so

I haven't seen this posted. The CBS Ultimate Mock has Allen off the board first, the Patriots trading up with Cleveland and drafting Sam Darnold with pick #4, the Jets getting Baker ( I hate this possibility) but Josh Rosen sliding right to us at #11.

If Rosen drops how will you feel about using #11 on him.
What do they have NE giving up to go all the way to the #4 pick?

A great QB hides many deficiencies of a team.

I agree with that. Dave Gettleman said something interesting in his press conference. On a question: "When you talk about QBs in this draft, given the importance of the position, and how you cannot win without one, do you still apply your "gold jacket" [HoF] standard to picking at #2 if it's a QB?"
Dave said: "I'm gonna turn the question to you, . . . If you think about it, think about all the QBs you've seen [in this draft], Who of them have made everybody better? [pause] . . . That's what you're looking for in a QB. Does he make everybody around him better? That's what you're looking for."

That to me is one of the important rough standards as well. But, to this team it may not be, and probably isn't. While they are interested in Baker Mayfield, who we can consider to have made everyone in Oklahoma look good, there are decisions that point in a different direction with the Dolphins.
They extended and committed to Tannehill, who quarterbacked through a revolving door of coaches, offensive linemen, receivers. They signed Brock Osweiler, who has not exactly made everyone better. And now there are rumors of interest in Rosen, whose coaches were fired and who hardly made his line look good, or his receivers.

In last season's finale they tested David Fales, who looked good processing, but his arm did not look to be on par. This offseason Fales was on the bubble. They obviously liked some things, but did not like others. Then they signed Osweiler who has a big arm. The Tannehill, Mayfield, Osweiler, Fales interest also indicates they want a QB who is familiar with the system or has mental processing to execute Gase's system.
So those are their standards in my opinion: mental processing and arm strength. And Rosen fits that.

But in my opinion, Rosen is not a great QB, and that's where their standards fail. And that's why we get Brock Osweilers of the world signed to a contract. They are not looking for greatness. They are looking for minutiae.

Last edited:
Why would I expand on that? You think Im massively exaggerating, I think you are massively downplaying it.
I have higher standards.
So I'll rephrase it. What instance am I massively downplaying as a red flag in terms of attitude or leadership problems?

QB should be on everybody's radar, this team would have done better with a healthy tannehill, look at what cutler did last season, it wasn't terrible, so if Tannehill bites the dust this season they can start grooming the heir apparent to that position.

This is what I saw on the reset CBS mock draft. Not bad in my estimation I would be very happy with this.
ROUND
OVERALL PLAYER NOTES
1 11 Tremaine Edmunds, LB, Virginia Tech
2 42 Taven Bryan, DT, Florida
2 60 Mike Gesicki, TE, Penn State from PIT
3 73 Traded to Pittsburgh
4 123 Traded to Pittsburgh from CLE/CAR
4 131 Luke Falk, QB, Washington State from PHI/NE
6 209 Darrel Williams, RB, LSU from LAR/KC
7 227 Javon Wims, WR, Georgia from SF
7 229 Sean Welsh, G/C, Iowa
The Dolphins would surely love to land a Baker Mayfield or Josh Rosen, but in this mock the top QBs go 1-2-3-4. So they pivot to taking the ultra-athletic Edmunds,

Outside of Falk, I'd be pretty happy with that draft.

This is what I saw on the reset CBS mock draft. Not bad in my estimation I would be very happy with this.
ROUND
OVERALL PLAYER NOTES
1 11 Tremaine Edmunds, LB, Virginia Tech
2 42 Taven Bryan, DT, Florida
2 60 Mike Gesicki, TE, Penn State from PIT
3 73 Traded to Pittsburgh
4 123 Traded to Pittsburgh from CLE/CAR
4 131 Luke Falk, QB, Washington State from PHI/NE
6 209 Darrel Williams, RB, LSU from LAR/KC
7 227 Javon Wims, WR, Georgia from SF
7 229 Sean Welsh, G/C, Iowa
The Dolphins would surely love to land a Baker Mayfield or Josh Rosen, but in this mock the top QBs go 1-2-3-4. So they pivot to taking the ultra-athletic Edmunds,
Not bad at all, however I'm not crazy about the tight end pick and I absolutely hate the running back pick. Getting Luke Falk in the 4th would be amazing though, I have been high on him since last summer.

If QB is a position of need, everyone breaks the bank to get one. Forget about it and mortgage the future if you need a QB, because you'll be out of a job if you wait to find one. And by "you" I mean the Head Coach, his coaching staff, the GM and a big chunk of the staff. There will be very little if any pushback when a team needs a QB and mortgages the future to get one.

That being said ... we do not need a QB.

But Buffalo does, and if one of those guys slides to 8, 9 or 10, I simply cannot envision Buffalo NOT leapfrogging us to get him. IMHO, No way a QB makes it to 11 without Buffalo trading up. Sure, we could get a QB at 11, but that only happens if Buffalo gets a QB before us.

New England? Ummm, Belichick may want another QB, but they do not need a QB either.

Cleveland takes one for sure. New York Jets take one for sure. Buffalo trades up and takes one almost certainly. That's 3 QB's.

The real paths to the Dolphins getting a new QB are:

A) The New York Giants pass on Eli's successor, Denver stands pat with Case Keenum ( :eyeroll: ), New Orleans passes on Brees' successor, New England passes on Brady's successor, and Jacksonville is satisfied with a 2nd round QB,

Or

B) Miami trades up into the top 6 to draft a QB.

IMHO, those are the only ways I see Miami doing anything other than continuing to build around Ryan Tannehill. I'm not saying we aren't considering it, but I am saying that it doesn't seem likely to me. Personally, if he's healthy, Tannehill has already proven he's the guy to bring Gase's offense alive. Now we need more pieces.

Each of these QB's have significant red flags. All of them are gambles on some level.

Josh Allen simply isn't accurate enough for me to draft him that high ... accuracy is too important in the NFL. QB's that throw INT's because they cannot be consistently accurate are QB's that get coaches fired.

Sam Darnold looks like the latest in the USC hype machine that gave us guys like Matt Leinert, the Sanchize, Cody Kessler, Matt Barkley, Matt Cassel, Todd Marinovich, Sean Salisbury, and Vince Evans ... among others. Notice the trend? O-Ver-Rat-Ed. Cleveland is scared off because he has small hands and fumble-itis. I think he has the least amount of red flags ... but that list of USC QB flops does not inspire me! The last and possibly only recent USC QB that was good was Carson Palmer, who was taken #1 overall. Something to consider when that is your absolute ceiling.

Baker Mayfield is the guy I rate the highest. He has both of the two highest rated seasons for a QB in college football. He's a winner, good vision, very accurate, quick processing information, quick release, strong arm, gutsy, escapability, leader, etc., etc., etc., so there's a ton to like. But he's still almost a half inch under 6'1. He still has small hands. He still has an abrasive personality. He still made some dumb off-field decisions. Sure, he looks like he could be the next Drew Brees. But, the list of QB's under 6'1 to fail in the NFL is even more depressing than the USC list, so I'm not even going to bother. I'd take a chance on Baker Mayfield ... but he's no Andrew Luck as a prospect.

Josh Rosen is a guy with lots of boxes checked, like strong arm, accuracy, etc., etc., etc., but this guy has the most red flags of the bunch. Let's start with health ... he's 'iffy' at best, with a concussion history. Then there's the fact he is so casual as to admit his heart may not really be into football ... and he's a wealthy smart guy with options. Not exactly what you want to invest in as the cornerstone of your franchise for the next 15 years. Then there is the very troubling issue that his team does not view him as a leader ... ummm ... RED FLAG. Then he wants to be the voice of taking a stand on major issues in the public sphere ... that didn't work out too well for Kaepernick, so why would Owner's trade up to draft that? Owners want a face of the franchise ... not someone who is guaranteed to polarize and alienate large chunks of your fanbase, possibly forever. Owners want a uniter, not a crusader and divider. Josh Rosen ... I can see why he would slip ... maybe further than people are even projecting today. Simply put, the stars have to align to get the considerable talent that Josh Rosen possesses. I don't see GM's staking their jobs on a guy with that many risky variables. Dolphins? I kinda doubt it.

Last edited:
I haven't seen this posted. The CBS Ultimate Mock has Allen off the board first, the Patriots trading up with Cleveland and drafting Sam Darnold with pick #4, the Jets getting Baker ( I hate this possibility) but Josh Rosen sliding right to us at #11.

If Rosen drops how will you feel about using #11 on him.
I have zero problem with either mayfield, Rosen or Lamar Jackson

If QB is a position of need, everyone breaks the bank to get one. Forget about it and mortgage the future if you need a QB, because you'll be out of a job if you wait to find one. And by "you" I mean the Head Coach, his coaching staff, the GM and a big chunk of the staff. There will be very little if any pushback when a team needs a QB and mortgages the future to get one.

That being said ... we do not need a QB.

But Buffalo does, and if one of those guys slides to 8, 9 or 10, I simply cannot envision Buffalo NOT leapfrogging us to get him. IMHO, No way a QB makes it to 11 without Buffalo trading up. Sure, we could get a QB at 11, but that only happens if Buffalo gets a QB before us.

New England? Ummm, Belichick may want another QB, but they do not need a QB either.

Cleveland takes one for sure. New York Jets take one for sure. Buffalo trades up and takes one almost certainly. That's 3 QB's.

If they're not interested in one of the top QBs, then that trade up by the bills would be good for us, because Oakland has similar needs on defense.

Back
Top Bottom