Calvin Pace Update | Page 22 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Calvin Pace Update

Sure the Jets overpaid for Pace, but we just filled a big need with a very good young player with big potential.

The money isn't coming out of my pocket, so why would I care?

I'm glad to see the Jets have a front office with balls. We laid back in FA the first two years of this regime. The biggest name we signed was Kenyon Coleman. I can't say I blame them. We were thought to be in a full blown rebuilding mode.

The Jets already had around $35 million in cap before getting rid of Dyson, McCareins, and Vilma. When we trade/release Robertson we'll clear up another $9 mill is cap space as well.

I have absolutely no fear of the Jets getting in cap hell. Tannenbaum earned his stripes by being a salary cap wiz. Also, with things going the way they are now, we're heading to an end of the salary cap era in the next few years.

Sure the Jets have overspent, but atleast we've overspent on top notch talent. You can't deny the skill that guys like Faneca, Jenkins, Pace, and Woody possess. And it's not like we're the only ones over spending, it's everyone. You're telling me guys like Stallworth, Kelly, Turner, and Berrian deserved the dough they got?

Atleast we dished out the big bucks to two multi pro-bowlers (Faneca and Jenkins), a very solid OL and former pro-bowler (Woody), and a guy who has the potential to wreak havoc at 3-4 OLB (Pace).

You guys paid $20 mil for a declining Joey Porter.

Yes and that was really stupid, especially considering we were the only team bidding for his services.

This is a forum full of dolphin lovers and I bet you more than 70% of the guys here will say we overpaid for Porter. One of many dumb moves by the last regime.

That doesn't mean the Jets weren't also stupid in giving that much money to Pace.

Jets Sign Calvin Pace

Jets Sign Calvin Pace Just saw it on ESPN.

Sorry if posted already 6yrs 42M

I didn't want Pace, so I'm happy. The money was too high... and I don't like spending big money on outside linebackers. If this guy was a seth joyner, or kevin greene, or lawrence taylor, or derrick thomas... hall-of-fame-callibur.... then you can make an exception. I think we've got one of those already... his name is Jason Taylor.

You are absolutely obsessed w/ the Jets. You know if you got Pace at any price you'd be crowing right now.

A few thing sin that "article" are incorrect. First off Jenkins got $9.5 mil guranteed NOT $20 mill. Second, we traded Vilma for a 4 THIS YEAR and a conditional pick in '09 which can be as high as a 2nd rounder.

But keep trying.

On NFL Network, they had the list and showed the money dished out.

Faneca 48 mil
Woody 12 mil
Jenkins 20 mil
Pace 42 mil

they just spent 120 mil people on four guys who dont play QB. Maybe I am a hypocrite, but what the hell people! This is hilarious when you see the look at Mangenius on the sideline kissing his *** goodbye! hahahahahahaha!

we only improved our OL and DL, those areas aren't very important:lol:

Our Ol was a huge weakness a year ago ands now it's a strength. Our DL also got better, I think they learned last year you need to be strong up front if you are going to win.

Good signings, yes. Overpaid, yes.

And yes, the cap does go up, but that's not the reason teams should over pay for decent talent.

You don't pay $20M in signing bonus to Calvin Pace. You pay it Big Ben, Peyton or other elite QBs. Maybe Moss after this year. But, DEFINITELY not Calvin Pace. All this does is inflate the market based on future (hopeful) results, not recent on the field results.

$10 - $12M signing bonus could be justified. Not $20M. It was a bad move.

Tru and pay Big Ben, Manning or any elite QB $20 mil in guarantees and see what happens. This is the market, the Pats overpaid for Adalius Thomas w/ $20 mil guaranteed a year ago and the Dolphins did the same w/ Porter.

Yes and that was really stupid, especially considering we were the only team bidding for his services.

This is a forum full of dolphin lovers and I bet you more than 70% of the guys here will say we overpaid for Porter. One of many dumb moves by the last regime.

That doesn't mean the Jets weren't also stupid in giving that much money to Pace.

I agree the money is a litrle insane but just as there weren't bidders for porter ther was for pace so that pushed his price tag up. Miami would have signed him at $20 mil guaranteed, unfortunately the price was bumped up but they felt he'd be worth it for the extra mil or 2.

You speak of the short term, as displayed in my sig, the Jets have sustained failure over a long period of time, evidenced by the franchises losing record and inability to reach the big game since the NFL merged into its current self.

This decade is short term? Who cares that you guys won a SB in 1973? That's a long time ago, we've been better for a decade now. Live in the present, it's not like you have a Pitt, SF or Dallas history to fall back on anyway.

They traded a 3rd and a 5th rounder for Kris Jenkins and then signed him to a 5 year 35 million contract with 20 mill guaranteed. He will be 29 at years start.
WRONG. Jenkins is receiving 9.5 million guaranteed, NOT 20. He is due to make $18 million over the first 3 years, which is an average of $6 million per. How is that outrageous? If he doesn't work out we can cut him with VERY little consequence to the cap.

They then trade Jonathan Vilma for a conditional 2009 4th rounder. Vilma is 25. Thats basically giving him away.
WRONG. They traded Vilma for a fixed 4th THIS year, and a conditional pick next year that can be as high as a 2nd and no less than a 3rd, while giving up a 4th NEXT year.

There is always the possibility that he doesn't reach the incentives to net the 2nd or 3rd, but then that probably meant he didn't play much, or played horribly because of his injury. And if that's the case then it was still a pretty good idea to deal him, no?

Vilma BTW made a Pro Bowl more recently then Jenkins.
WRONG. Vilma made the Pro Bowl in 2005. Jenkins made the Pro Bowl in 2006.

Like many others, at the price, I don't really mind Miami not getting Calvin Pace. I'm kind of relieved. The Phins are currently so bad, I was worried about putting too much cash into one player, unless he's an absolute certainty.

Although the Jets were pretty diabolical themselves last season, they weren't as bad as Miami (sorry) so it makes a little more sense for them. I hope it works out for them (apologies for not hating every other football team in the NFL, especially the Jets).

Back
Top Bottom